• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

US War on Drugs: elusive victory, disputed statistics

The government is the people that vote. They are not to blame. The 163 million people that do not vote are the reason our country is like it is. It really is that easy. You can justify it however you want, but that is the only way anything will ever change. People actually have to use the tools that are sitting in front of them. It will happen eventually, I just hope that Americans do not have to go through the same things that Europeans have had to in order to see it.

Ah I see joeofmusic, couldn't agree more with your position. I'm fairly guilty of being one of the actors (sometimes both after enough gear) in your nice little illustrative scenario.

zophen

I feel the only guaranteed way for the war on drugs to end is someone like us, who understands fully how harmful the war on drugs is on a personal level, to get involved in politics then steadily sway opinion and gain politicial allies and slowly gain power, without coming off as a stoner hippy or "druggie", as that can easily be turned against you. You have to play the game as the most succesful politicians do: manipulate others and lead the public to be on your side.

I would say voting itself isn't going to solve the problem, you usually have 2 seperate parties with the same draconian drug policies, though I'd agree that voting for the "lesser evil" is a good idea.

You have to do things for yourself, literally. If you want to see changes, start educating your fellow man on the reality behind drug use. Encourage critique of the mass media and government propaganda. Better yet, get involved in politics or support parties who vow to eliminate drug illegality (though covertly might be a better starting option for some places). If a select few can turn the masses against select drugs, then obviously a select few can do the opposite.

joeofmusic said:
The government is the people that vote. They are not to blame. The 163 million people that do not vote are the reason our country is like it is. It really is that easy. You can justify it however you want, but that is the only way anything will ever change. People actually have to use the tools that are sitting in front of them. It will happen eventually, I just hope that Americans do not have to go through the same things that Europeans have had to in order to see it.
IMO it wouldn't make much of a difference if these people voted. I'd bet that the composition of anti-drug/pro-drug individuals amongst the non-voters would be about the same as in the voting part of the population.

What I think is necessary is educating the public about drugs. Teach the general population what the effects of legalization would be, and tell them what the negative effects of prohibiton are (most of which people think are caused by drugs themselves rather than their legal status). Depending on which country we're focusing on we need to convince powerful and/or wealthy people of the positives of drug legalization. In a country like the US, getting a wealthy person or organization to support a politician that is pro-legalization is the first step. Though the overall key would be education as I see it. There are an endless number of lies and misinformation on drugs out there that aids in scaring away pro-legalizers.

Pseudope Fiend said:
You have to do things for yourself, literally. If you want to see changes, start educating your fellow man on the reality behind drug use. Encourage critique of the mass media and government propaganda. Better yet, get involved in politics or support parties who vow to eliminate drug illegality (though covertly might be a better starting option for some places). If a select few can turn the masses against select drugs, then obviously a select few can do the opposite.

Amen.

It has to start in one home, in one ward, in one town, in one county, in one state, in one country. It starts with one person. And that is each of us.

I used to think things like that. But then I found out about things like gerrymandering, special interests, and religion. At this point it'd probably be easier to build a new country under domes in antarctica with sane laws than try and fix the existing situation. Voting doesn't matter when the elections are bought and rigged.

simplicity is often over looked.

1. Gerrymandering. This is done by representatives who are elected by voters. Ultimately this is done to get more like minded people into the same district. You must understand that when so few people vote, not only is it easy to gain an advantage with very few people, but also, most people in this country don't even know what a ward is. So, who really is going to care? The non voters certainly don't care and will not make any difference if they do. They still (lucky for the "oppressor") cast their votes and win elections.

2. Special Interest Groups. These people can only cater to the elected officials that are in office. If you need a detailed explanation on how Congress is elected, you can go here. http://www.thinkhistory.btinternet.co.uk/presidentandcongresselectionsusa.htm
(Remember that it was elected representatives who set this system up).

3. Religion. This is my favorite. Though religion sounds quite nice it is very different from spirituality. Think about this; If God has already chosen your path for you, then there is no need to ever take any action. Right? Napoleon said, "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Marx said, "God is the peoples opium." As long as you believe in a God that not only you are supposed to fear, but one who has already planned your entire life for you, then you believe that you are incapable of ever changing or creating anything for yourself. Your kid sick? Pray, pray, and pray. Or you could go to the store and buy some medicine. Note: The conservative right not only votes, but also prays that their candidate is elected, thereby adding political unity and spiritual confidence mixed with a sense of belonging to their mission. Something the rest of us seem to be lacking in.

I am not anti religious. I believe that there is no one right way for anything. There are as many right ways as there are people. I have best friends from many religious backgrounds and they are all fine people. (Who happen to, coincidentally enough, not only vote but support the person they elected).

As far as you believing that there is nothing to be done about our situation, well I don't think you completely agree with that either. I feel that if one honestly feels there is no hope then one would not waist any energy on replying to some nut job who thinks he and his fellow Americans are capable of more than just criticism and suffering.