US customs and paraphenalia

Eliot

Bluelighter
first off i'm not sure if this is in the right forum, if its not, i'm sorry!
ok so here's my question, i live in the US, right now i'm overseas, found a head shop that sells coke spoons. never seen these in the US before, so now i think to myself, duuude i should buy like 20 and bring em back to the US and people will want them. it'll be cool.
but now i'm wondering wether they'd make it through customs... any advice?

I assure you, if you look for any kind of drug paraphrenalia hard enough in the states, you'll find it.

Personally, I wouldn't want a bunch of drug paraphrenalia in my luggage, no matter how ambiguous it was. It's just a bad time for stuff like this.

And since I'm pretty much clueless about what US Customs and US law when it comes to something like this, I'm going to shoot this over to Legal Q&A.

Smoov_E said:
Yes, they will make it through...Guaranteed.

????

This is extremely bad advice. Coke spoons are illegal under federal law. You risk causing yourself a huge amount of hassle, perhaps much more. Don't be foolish; it isn't worth it the risk.

Paraphernalia laws vary from state to state. If you have something customs recognizes as contraband, it will be siezed even if you can argue its legality. It's not a good idea to bring things with you like this at this day and time as there are long delays in customs already. You don't want to be flagged and harrassed for hours to bring in something like this.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't recommended it.

You decide.:)

Like ExxHead said, property that is arguably legal can be seized, even if they do not charge you with a crime. To get the spoons back you'd have to go to court and demonstrate that they had not been used and would not be used for an illegal purpose.

Yes, the authorities can take your stuff and then you have to sue to get it back, and yes the Supreme Court has said it's OK.

So in the case of coke spoons, even if you don't get in trouble, the spoons are likely to get seized and then you'll have wasted time and money.

thanks for your help, pretty much confirmed what i was thinking
what about by mail?

^^^^
Pros:
If they seize the spoons you won't have to stand around for hours in customs. Typically people arent arrested for sending little things that could be legal (ie unused paraphernalia or Rxs).

Cons:
They still might take your spoons. Also, they might go all-out and try to get you on a criminal charge. I doubt it, but because I can't say for sure that it's impossible I think that you should be aware of the risk.