Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Urine Testing on Probation

BrokenPromise

Bluelighter
I'm currently on probation and required to take random piss tests. Does anyone know it it's ok to use OTC Codeine or would it have to be 'prescribed'?

It is against the Bluelight user agreement to ask about drug tests as pointed out by the above poster, however, I read your post to be asking if it is legally okay to use OTC codeine products whilst you are on probation.

I do not know if it is somehow illegal for you to use codeine, but to me it would seem ridiculous for it to be illegal for people on probation to use an OTC product as intended, there is obviously a chance it could mess with your drug tests but I presume that you could provide this excuse and it would be hard to be disproven. I would say if you were performing CWE or abusing the OTC formulation then you might run a more substantial risk of pissing dirty and it may be harder to explain away.

The best thing you could do is ask your probation officer or whoever drug tests you where you stand legally on this issue, I am willing to leave this open in case someone has direct experience relating to this but I am a little surprised that wasn't your first course of action.

Please remember this is allowed in the context of responding to a legal question about using codeine on probation, not advice on how much codeine one can take and avoid pissing dirty.

Last edited:
There might be an allowable limit if codeine shows up on your drug test and in the event that it does show up (and you haven't been abusing it) it's always better to have a prescription in case they challenge your claim of using it as recommended.

While I'm no expert on the matter, codeine is a prodrug of morphine, as is diacetylmorphine/heroin. This means that these drugs are metabolized into morphine by your body. There are also extra metabolites to check for heroin though. Not entirely sure about codeine, maybe they can but don't bother. Like I said I 'aint an expert.

I would assume that if you took some codeine containing pills, any drug test that tested for opiates would return a positive result. There are cutoff thresholds and such but it depends how strict the testing is, how competent the testers are, whether or not they label your piss correctly and why you're getting tested in the first place. I'm not going to say how to beat it or anything, the best advice I can give if it would cause you problems should you return a positive result would be to abstain from codeine (and heroin).

I found this on a Parole fact-sheet for QLD.

Be aware that many medicines, including “over the counter” drugs can test positive. Only take prescription medication that has
been prescribed for you personally. You may need to show your prescription to your supervising officer. Tell your doctor that you will be tested for illegal drugs. Your doctor can then give you a drug that will not give a positive result. If your medication will register positive, you must provide written confirmation from your doctor that there is no alternative medication available. Check with your chemist before taking any “over the counter” medication, to ensure it will not give a positive result for illegal drugs.

What a joke.