• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

RCs Unknown old anesthetic

Hehahohi

Greenlighter
Im not really sure where to post this, so just move it if its in the wrong category.
I have a wisdom tooth growing, and since ive delayed getting it removed, it hurts from time to time. So when i couldnt take it anymore i told my father, and he had a really old bottle of some numbing liquid. The bottle is small, so i just took a drop on my finger and got it on the gums and it worked. But i got curious, because my father says its older than him (over 60), and in the bottle there is a liquid, and a substance that looks like ice, but it cannot be ice. The smell is intense, almost like gasoline or something, my dad says it can be ether, with the "ice-rock" being cocaine or some amphetamine, but i have never got to smell any of those.

What can it be?

Lidocaine or procaine most likely.

Topical anesthesics block sodium ion channels causing a topical numbing and tingling effect.

Like cocaine lidocaine and procaine act as local anesthetics blocking the ability of sodium ion channels to work.

Unlike cocaine and amphetamine it doesnt cause a pain killing effect by increasing monoamines like dopamine and adrenaline.

Be careful large or unknown doses or sub of topical anesthesics can effect ions in the heart causing sudden cardiac failure.

But the ice rock thing in the middle, whats that, it isnt cold. Is that because its so old or is it another substance?
It hurt when i got it on my tounge.

If it was diluted in alcohol or something if its been open for years it could of crystalized

I opened it to get a better picture. I think i read somewhere that ether could hurt when in contact with the tounge, idk. I guess i was hoping that it was coke =D

I dont think its amyl nitrate because of how old it is and isnt inhaled

Important! Warning!!! About 'rc-old anaesthetic' closed thrd danger extreme lethality

About the thread concering an old bottle of some unknown 'gasoline-smelling' anaesthetic, that shows a picture of solid substance encrusting the bottle of a liquid....if that IS ether, you need to call the damn bomb squad.

Not joking. Get the stash of drugs and anything illegal out of the place and inform them there is a potential bottle of ancient ether.

Ethers form alkylidene peroxides (via an intermediate hydroperoxide) in storage if not regularly treated (diethyl ether must be tested and if traces of peroxide are present treated for it. This is EXTREMELY dangerous. And if that IS ether, that bottle there is a potential killer. No need to consume it for that to wipe out most of the room! the ether, being volatile, can also form an encrustation around the likes of screw-thread bottlecaps, and these alkylidene peroxides are EXTREMELY shock sensitive, friction-sensitive, brisant (that is to say, the explosion is possessed of a powerful shattering effect)

And they can, and often have, gone off in one helluva destructive explosion in the past, in chem labs, old, crusty cans of ether are so dangerous that people don't dispose of them themselves, they call in the bomb disposal people and explain that its old ether.

Looking at that...that...THING....jesus christ on a fucking bicycle-shaped-and-sized razorwire dildo licking his own big purple supernatural furry fucking dick man....fucking hell...just...do NOT touch it, do not attempt to move it, do not attempt to put the cap on or take it off because doing so could result in, from that much peroxide, if that is ether, that glass bottle being atomized, and your head with it, with the added bonus of the blasted-to-dust glass powder being driven through your body as if packed round a hand grenade. Because if its ether, that is peroxidized to a truly shocking extent, and absolutely capable of an explosion with the capacity to kill you, and tear whats left of you to bloody ribbons and internal organ-slushpuppy and send bone fragment shrapnel formed by what used to be you flying to shred anybody nearby, whilst blasting out the windows of the room, hell might even blow the door of the hinges its that peroxidized, IF its ether. And the smell noted says to me it probably is (or was)

DO NOT APPROACH THAT BOTTLE!!! and call the emergency services. I am not joking. I've heard of what happens when for example a bottle of peroxidized ether went off in a fridge in a lab. The fridge ended up blasted through the ceiling in parts. And the lab was obliterated, the windows blasted out by the shockwave that propagated from the detonation. IIRC nobody was killed, but that was damn lucky. A few MILLIGRAMS of ether peroxides going off in a glass flask is enough to shatter it and turn the thing into a shrapnel grenade of flying razorsharp glass shards and make a damn loud bang. That much? we are talking major destructive potential, ultra-touchy primary type high explosive with the ability and insatiable desire to tear you to shreds and leave devastation in its wake. Until that thing is dealt with by a proper team, do not even enter the fucking room. If you gotta retrieve your stash for legal reasons and its in there, do not make the slightest shock, and don't approach that close. Be real gentle, let nobody else in there, wear goggles to prevent your eyes being taken out if its ether and that load of peroxide detonates while your in there (they can go off spontaneously)

Ether has a sweet, but somewhat petrochemical-like scent. Pleasant, not nasty gasoline-like like petrol/diesel but sweeter. If it is ether, and from what the description given is, and the fact its an anaesthetic, and has also formed solids (the other potential suspect would be chloroform but CHCl3 does not form explosive peroxides and does not deposite solids (I.e the touchy-ass high explosives from hell that even the craziest jihadi suicide bomber wouldn't go within ten miles of, in the middle of bloody syria that ethers can turn into)

I've never, ever seen ether that highly peroxidized before, if ether is what it is (or was, rather. Now if it was ether, its a fucking death waiting to happen. Maybe several. If I saw a container of diethyl ether like that in my chem lab, I'd be warning everybody, and telling them to follow my lead in backing out of the building, slowly, and extremely carefully. Exit, and not come back until the hazmat team had been called in and removed the offending ether container for safe controlled detonation.

I know substance ID threads are disallowed, but I HAD to post this warning. Mods, please re-open the thread in question, by hehahohi, even if its locked again immediately after, and copy-paste this in there, also send him an alert by PM about this. Because the danger here is not conventional due to drug qualities or identity. This is a potentially extreme quantity of a devastatingly powerful, ultra-sensitive high explosive that given the least exposure to shock or friction will detonate with sufficient force to tear the guy to pieces and destroy the room or certainly large parts of it. I realise its an unusual situation, and officially against the rules. But given the nature of the risk, in this case I believe the rule must be overlooked so he may be given this caution. Its not a substance ID, its a case of 'that probably is, or rather WAS ether. Now its a killing machine waiting to go off and turn the poster of the original thread or and his family if nearby into red mist and glass shard-impregnated blood-and-organ-pulp slush-puppy and leave him as little more than a splatter of guts and brain matter on whatever is left of a wall or ceiling.

Diethyl ether needs peroxide testing annually at least. And if it shows ANY trace of solids visually the container must NOT be touched, or attempted to open it, doing so may be the last thing somebody in such a situation ever does. And after 60 years, and being full of what looks like crystals...fuck me, that thing is fucking BAD news. One little knock and it'll go off with the force of a grenade. And who wants to be holding a live hand grenade in a glass bottle full of broken windowpane pieces? because thats more or less what that thing is, if its ether. or was ether.

60 years? fuck..........just...fucking christ mate. You could not pay me enough money, or even buy me a big enough lab equipment and reagents upgrade to enter the same room with that thing, much less touch it!!! I check my ether at LEAST yearly. Twice yearly is more comfortable for me at an absolute minimum. for diisopropyl ether then 3 months. THF not so sure, but I check my THF regularly all the same to be on the safe side.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TEST THIS! ASSUME IT IS PEROXIDIZED ETHER AND HAVE IT DEALT WITH BY THE HAZMAT GUYS BECAUSE IF YOU TREAT IT AS IF IT IS NOT PEROXIDIZED ETHER AND IT IS, DEATHS ARE LIKELY!, try fire brigade and tell them exactly the nature of the likely hazard. If you lose something that wasn't ether, sorry. But that thing has to go because the danger of it blasting the OP to shreds is just too high, and it could go off spontaneously without any provocation. Keep animals out of the room, keep the room empty of people, if you have your stash, obviously get it and get your illegal shit outa the house. But otherwise do NOT re-enter that room until a controlled disposal has been performed. This is the kind of thing they'll evacuate not just the house but the entire street to get rid of that thing likely as not. Explain its 60 fucking years old, probably ether thats peroxidized to the outer spheres of blue flaming furry flying fuck on a bike hell. And they will get rid of it for you. Seriously, no messing with that thing, its extremely dangerous.

Yeah. Quite. Ether has been the cause of numerous accidents of a really nasty nature in labs of all kinds, professional and otherwise when people weren't dilligent enough to regularly test for the presence of peroxides (using potassium iodide solution soaked into starched paper, or sodium iodide likewise) a drop of the ether or two placed upon a strip of such paper if contaminated by the peroxides or hydroperoxides (the hydroperoxides are less explosive and deflagrate rather than detonate but still aren't good news, and the hydroperoxides are intermediates to the uber-nasty alkylidene peroxides), the oxidizing nature of the peroxide content oxidizes iodide to iodine and the iodine reacts with the starch to give the typical blue-black color of iodine reacting with starch (to see what it looks like, a drop of iodine tincture placed upon a slice of cut potato will show it perfectly), sans any peroxides involved in that case of course since iodine is present directly not just iodide salts.

Although if any ether looked as black as iodine tincture on starch you wouldn't get me going anywhere near it. I use diethyl ether fairly regularly for organic chemistry, its a very useful solvent indeed and common in many labs, as well as diisopropyl ether for some niche uses (extracting polar compounds from polar liquids with which the DIPE is immiscible) and THF, as valuable somewhat polar, aprotic solvents that tolerate strong bases particularly well, and are particularly useful for extractions/workups and even more so for doing things that involve water-intolerant things like lithium aluminium hydride (which would simply burst into flames if it got wet, and is typically used in flame-dried glassware (thats been cooled down first since ethers have low boiling points, or the common dialkyl ethers do, with ether or THF (tetrahydrofuran, a cyclic ether) that has first been dried with conventional dessicants, to the point it can be distilled from, after first refluxing over sodium metal, everything protected by drying tubes packed with dessicant, and under inert gas like nitrogen, argon or helium, personally I favour argon since its not a finite resource like helium more or less is practically speaking, and its much much denser and heavier than helium, and forms a pad over the solvent to help exclude the air whilst the inert gas purge is done, and hasn't helium's tendency to want to just float away) and then conducting the reaction.

Its probably overkill, but I actually degas my ether, DIPE, THF, 1,4-dioxane etc. using a vacuum purge and then sparge it with argon, after first opening a can, and also, fill the dead-space in the bottles/jugs/cans with argon, to exclude oxygen as well as the customary peroxide-testing. And I'm careful, very careful with especially those more prone than others to peroxidation all the more so than diethyl ether (that used in anaesthesia of old was diethyl ether, I've had it, inhaled and orally, its a dissociative, lacks the hangover of ethanol (drinking alcohol, or at least the most commonly drunk, drinkable alcohol, that is) fair short acting via inhalation, orally longer lasting, very potent orally. I like it, and I LOVE the sweet, ethereal scent it has, its just tasty) and it does make an extremely useful solvent. But it IS highly flammable, and must be handled with respect, treated with care, and appropriate knowledge exercised in its use and storage. That bottle, the 60-year old one, that is WAY beyond ANY hope of rehabilitation other than a moment of entertainment if the guy gets to watch the bomb disposal guys in their moon-suits do a controlled detonation in an open area. Even without the explosive charge they'd use, that? if thats ether, as it likely is, or was, and its as peroxidized as it looks, that'll leave a fucking bastard of a crater alright!

The peroxides are less of a threat when its just started to occur, in dilute solution, but danger can occur when distilling off ether, if the conditions are favourable for it to happen, when distilled to dryness, this concentrates the peroxides and the more concentrated all the much more dangerous they become. Something like that..abomination, back down there, thats fucking scary as hell that is, with what looks like more lumps of peroxide in either ether or liquid hydroperoxides than any ether left in there. That thing gets opened or touched it may well easily go off in a whopper of a blast. So I decided to make a thread to discuss a closed thread, because of this safety risk, it isn't a drug ID, its a 'no matter what it is, treat it as if it IS going to blow your head off given the least provocation, because to do so is potentially going to save the life of the OP. And those around him.

Kleinerkiffer-thank you. I felt the danger posed by this was of a nature separate from the drug, and that my posting a separate thread in reply was justified even to a closed thread, in spite of the rules of the site, because that thing there, if that was, at one point, ether, or an ether, it isn't now, and thats mostly peroxide/hydroperoxide or all of it is a mixture of the two after over six decades, and it quite literally, is a ticking time bomb with a hair-trigger powerful enough to blow somebody's head off (literally, as in 'red mist', not as in 'damn that got me high'), shatter every bit of glass in the room, certainly all the windows and leave a ragged torso-stump behind in its wake, IF the poor bastard to get near that thing is lucky. (questionable as to whether thats lucky or unlucky). A closed-coffin job for sure, if not being buried in a doggy bag of scrapings off the nearest wall remnants, and simply picking it up, could well set it off, and if that was ether, as given the smell reported it almost certainly is (the likes of hydrocarbons would not form solids like that, not the alkanes, ethylene is too volatile and hasn't been used in a long long long time as an anaesthetic, although could perhaps polymerize, its a gas at RT and chloroform wouldn't form solids like that either. Also the odor of chloroform is heavy, and sweet and almost sugary in a way. I'd say 95% to 99% certainty that is, or rather, at one point was, ether, and given use as a medical anaesthetic more probably than not, diethyl ether.

The peroxides they form are exquisitely sensitive. Hair trigger is if anything an understatement. If the OP tries to take off that cap, or even agitates it, or the bottle, it could, and quite probably would detonate with, looking at that thing, extraordinary violence. Not pretty in a glass bottle either. If it didn't take somebody's head off its shoulders in liquid form (the head, not the contents of the bottle) then they would, if close enough to touch it almost certainly be left blinded by the glass shard frag grenade the picture shows, filled with glass buckshot thats difficult to show clearly on X-ray, most likely pulverized in fine dust form (munitions like this, containing metal dust of dense metals like tungsten are used actually for very close-range area of effect, shockwave aside, lethal antipersonnel grenades, that spread a fine cloud of pulverized metal dust, which is ignited and shreds the target to pulp)

A glass version of that is just plain nasty and sadistic. There is no such thing, as a safe container of crusty old ether. Could go off on its own, very probably would go off if touched, will go off if opened, there is peroxide deposition all over the interior of the screw thread of the cap and that is a very common cause, with peroxidized ether, of the whole thing going up in a fireball and a shockwave.

I'm really NOT joking when I say this is a job for the professional emergency services. Do NOT attempt to dispose of this on your own. Don't even go near it. Christ, just looking at that thing makes me hold my breath and glance sideways at my fridge, with the 2 and a half liter jug of THF in there, the cans of diethyl ether, diisopropyl ether and other solvents, and bottle of iodine monochloride underneath. Those ethers however are VERY fresh. The THF bought a couple of weeks ago. But still, just looking at that thing is enough to make me nervous, and I'm safely likely a continent or two away:p And right now, right the minute after I go have a piss and my morning oxy so my hands aren't shaking, I am going to go grab a potato, some lab filter paper discs, and some potassium iodide, make a solution and test each and every bottle, can and jug of ether, DIPE, THF, or 1,4-dioxane in this house. For the pictures posted, once you know what they are almost certainly containing, and the nature of the contents are a fearful sight to behold.

Treat that thing like an islamic suicide-bombing jihadist spitting cobra on steroids and a crack comedown strapped to your testicles with rusty razorwire , and do not so much as take god's name in vain (i'm not even religious, but christ damn (apologies there...although I don't THINK it can hear me from all the way over here...)....you want a few heavenly beings looking out for you with that fucker about!) within the building. Or it might just hear you. That thing was in my house? I would not be staying in it until it was disposed of.

There are bad drugs, and then there are bad drugs like PMA, and then there is this. This is, without exception THE most lethal looking example of a possible (at one time) psychoactive I have ever witnessed. At least most bad drugs only kill those who actually take them, not those who look at them and frown too hard. A lab absolutely would get evacuated if that thing was found, knowing it likely to have been ether, no question about it, and the area cordoned off.

Some poor bastards are going to have to take that out in padded suits, and require a diaper whilst doing so if they want to keep their underwear. I wouldn't want to be the bomb disposal guy doing that job. (wouldn't want to do that job at all mind you, but that? I'd suddenly decide to call in sick, cash in every vacation hour and bit of overtime pay I'd earned, and use it to run the hell in the opposite direction.

For those who want to treat ether responsibly, fresh, modern ether comes with inhibitors. Such as butylated hydroxytoluene or butylated hydroxyanisole (BHT and BHA respectively) which, although consumed as they do their job, inhibit peroxide formation and these are also used in food as additives, at least BHA is IIRC. And the quantities in inhibited ethers are small. This, given the age is almost certainly uninhibited, and quite obviously, peroxidation has run rampant. And as such, left a ticking time bomb/trip-mine with a particularly nasty ass attitude problem of a magnitude that would make an enraged saw-scaled viper look placid by comparison. For modern ethers-use the iodide test strip (KI or NaI can be bought on ebay) if your going to keep ethers around; keep them cold. Some copper powder or twists of bare strands of copper wire added can help decompose the peroxides as they form or inhibit peroxidation. Storage over (safest probably) calcium metal, BEFORE they are peroxidized (calcium metal is reactive enough to reduce the peroxides but not so reactive as to spontaneously ignite like sodium). Although the ether must be dried before its application in the case of Ca. will destroy peroxides IN NON-CRUSTY ETHER! Do under no circumstances AT ALL do anything to interact with a crusty old ether container in any way bar removing yourself, not it, from the vicinity, and then calling the emergency services to inform them of the nature of the problem, fire brigade, and tell them its a peroxidized ether hazard. Don't attempt to destroy the peroxides, don't attempt to move or even touch the container, just retreat, and have the bomb disposal folk in for it cannot be rehabilitated, just pray it does not go off when they move it and rip through your lab like an airstrike into a petrol refinery. If you are fortunate, it won't. If you aren't, then just be thankful for any equipment and reagents and indeed people who are not reduced to little pieces and hope the place ain't set ablaze creating a noxious fug of god only knows what, situation dependent kinds of toxic fumes. Get out, call help, stay out until the professional assistance is rendered and the situation made safe.

ANY sign of crusting that is not a verified, personally witnessed fall or spill of another material right before your very eyes, that is KNOWN not to be peroxidation. E.g spill a powder on a bottle yourself, and you know for a fact that the result is of course not peroxide formation, assume it to be dangerous. Ethers generally are highly flammable, volatile (this is part of the reason the peroxidation works itself into the bottle cap threads and on opening without it being known if not regularly tested to pre-empt this, results in friction which detonates the peroxide in the threads, and of course both disperses and ignites the ether in a fireball of burning vaporised solvent, like a fuel-air explosion, which can be devastatingly powerful, and as a secondary result with explosions propagating through dispersed flammable vapors in confined spaces like buildings the burning fuel consumes the oxygen in the area, temporarily creating an unbreathable, anoxic atmosphere. This phenomenon was responsible for the buncefield gas storage facility disaster, fuel-air explosion and the devastation was massive. big facility, big natural gas dispersal and then explosion and resultant collossal shockwave. Big. Fucking. Mess.

Keep your ethers cold, refrigeration slows down chemical reactions generally since reactions have a thermodynamic energy barrier to begin, save for compounds of inherent high instability with a negative figure for this value, which are, usually unstable explosives. But all chemical reaction is mediated by interactions between atoms or molecules or both, and for this to occur, they must be able to move from a place where both are not, to a place where both are, in the local microenvironment, in order that they interact. The higher the temperature the more energetic the movement, such as lower in a solid, than in a liquid than in a gas respectively, gas/vapor having the most kinetic energy of the individual discrete molecular/atomic entities. The higher the energy the more rapid a reaction occurs if that reaction can itself occur at all. Thus higher temperatures promote more rapid reactions and lower ones slow them down.

TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST! use iodide, sodium or potassium iodide (not iodine, iodide salts, hot alcohol with some water in to ease dissolution can be used to dissolve these safely they are not acutely extremely toxic, dissolve some, to a concentration that doesn't crystallize out in the paper obviously in methanol, ethanol or isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) and also apply a solution of starch/suspension of starch, which can be easily made at home by boiling a load of potatoes and using the boiled down water to soak the same paper. There is a characteristic reaction between iodine, in the elemental state, although not with iodide itself. The reaction manifests as a blue-black coloration developed on the paper by reaction of iodine with the starch. For this to be seen one can take a piece of potato and a dropper with some iodine tincture in it, and applying a drop or two to a cut surface of the potato. Instant blue-black coloration appears within a moment.

This, is a safe reaction to demonstrate the color that a positive indicator paper (peroxide test strips can be bought too) will produce
upon reacting with ether(s) containing peroxides. The heavier the coloration, the greater the concentration of peroxide, and it must be treated, with a reducing agent which will destroy the peroxide/hydroperoxide content (the process involves an intermediate compound with a structure as follows: CH3-CH2-O-CH(OOH)-CH3 in the case of diethyl ether hydroperoxide) an ether itself has the structure R-O-R where R groups are alkyl or aryl, and the ultimate peroxide compound formed is of the structure (-CH(CH3)OO-)n, a polymerized version, also known, in the case of the prototypical ether peroxide, ethylidene peroxide.

The intermediate hydroperoxides are explosive, but tend towards deflagration (rapid burning, with gas evolution and subsequent pressure wave as it goes up, in flames) Gunpowder in fireworks, flashpowder in same, or as used in old school photography of the REALLY old kind does this when they go off.)

The alkylidene peroxides themselves, the vicious, unstable, nasty as hell made flesh end product of the polymerization reaction of the hydroperoxide intermediates however, undergo true detonation, the high-energy molecules fly apart into fragments, releasing tremendous energy and creating a short-duration, powerful, supersonic shockwave. A deflagrating explosive is known, typically, as a 'low explosive' like gunpowder, guncotton (nitrocellulose), flashpowders and various other fuel-oxidizer mixtures of the kind, whilst the term 'high explosive' refers to those compounds which undergo true detonation in the manner of their explosive decomposition. Some are more sensitive than others. For instance despite a large amount of destructive power, the mining (as in quarrying, rather than land-mining in the sense of a boobytrap which explodes when stepped on or driven on etc.) compositions like ammonium nitrate-diesel fuel (ANFO, ammonium nitrate-fuel oil) still produce an awful lot of energy when the charge is initiated, but the energy required to initiate it is also large, similarly many military modern plastic explosives if put into a fire will burn, but not explode, and need the detonation of a subset of HEs known as primary explosives, to supply the energy needed to induce them to detonate, from the energy supplied by the shockwave of the primary HE (High Explosive) propagating through the less sensitive plastic explosives used by militaries and the occasional terrorist dirtbag.

Primary HEs are those which detonate, not deflagrate, and which also have a low energy barrier required to cause them to do so.
Examples being the likes of lead azide, mercury fulminate, used in the primers of firearm cartridges to ignite the (low explosive) propellant (A HE in a firearm propellant charge would possess too much of a shattering effect (called 'brisance' a substance expressing this quality being termed 'brisant' and would cause way too much overpressure way too fast for the gun, cannon, mortar, howitzer or whatever sort of firearm projectile launcher employing an explosive propellant to survive without ending up as fragments of scrap metal shrapnel and reducing the cannon, pistol, rifle etc barrel to smithereens and wrecking it utterly. )

The primaries are sensitive, some more than others. At the absolute utter extremity, is a common lab demo, ammonium nitrogen triiodide, I won't go into how its made, but it is sometimes demonstrated as a measure of how sensitive a primary can be, and because it cannot, physically be prepared in a quantity, stored in a quantity or put into a device with which to do harm, tiny bits can be made, and they go off with the least provocation, or no provocation. It and probably nitrogen trichloride and nitrogen tribromide (the trifluoride on the other hand is more stable and is used in the semiconductor industry for etching silicon wafers in chip fabrication because of the great strength of the bond fluorine forms, unlike the other elements of the halogen series. The nitrogen trihalides other than fluorine are ultrasensitive, and at least the triiodide (and NCl3, NBr3 are even worse, nitrogen trichloride, an oily yellow liquid first discovered in 1812 by a chemist named Pierre Louis Dulong, and it cost him one of his eyes and two fingers when it promptly went and blew the fuck up, and the later chemists sir Humphry Davy, was temporarily blinded by NCl3 going off, and he hired the famous Michael Faraday as a co-worker. Both of them on further initial investigations into its chemistry and properties were injured in another explosion.

These trihalides of nitrogen, fluorine excepted are SO sensitive that even the impact of ALPHA PARTICLE RADIATION can initiate them and cause detonation, as can light, heat, a speck of atmospheric dust, contact with organics, friction, shock, and are AFAIK unique in that alpha radiation is sufficient energy to let the beast within off its leash and have it make an almighty bang.

Ethylidene peroxide (diethyl ether peroxide) and co aren't QUITE that sensitive. But thats really not saying much and they can and will detonate with extreme violence and great brisance from friction, from mechanical shock, electrostatic discharge, flame, not sure about light, I'd rather not find out either other than by reading about it in a book.

Some ethers are particularly prone to peroxidation and others less so. IIRC the gaseous cryogen dimethyl ether, does not undergo peroxidation, but it alone cannot, afaik. tert-butyl-methyl ether is much less prone to peroxidation than most ethers and is often used where an ethereal solvent is needed in the field of chemistry or other sciences. Although it is not fit for a drug. Plus it smells pretty shite too:p

However, some ethers, diisopropyl ether in particular is notorious for its tendency to peroxidize. Particularly, if I recall correctly, those ethers having a secondary carbon attached to the carbon which shares the oxygen bridge with the other 'R' aryl/alkyl group, peroxidize more rapidly than others. DIPE (diisopropyl ether, the ether formed from the dehydration and condensation of two isopropyl alcohol (ethers are formally derivatives of two alcohols or phenols and can be synthetically prepared from the corresponding alcohol/phenols) is particularly bad for it. DIPE must be peroxide-tested every three months minimum, whereas for diethyl ether (I.e the ether that most bluelighters would think of as 'hey, this was in fear and loathing...' or just 'ether' as is generally understood when referred to as a substance rather than category of substances amongst chemists to mean diethyl ether, C2H5-O-C2H5, the ether one would most likely inhale and/or take orally to intoxicate or anaesthetize on the other hand should be tested at minimum once a year. I test mine more often for the sake of thoroughness and safety. Better safe than blasted to bits, blinded, covered in full body burns et cetera, no? THF also peroxidizes more rapidly than diethyl ether although I still need to find out the minimum needed, so this can be at least halved (I.e tested twice as frequently, not tested half as much, more vigilance, not laziness) but until I do, I treat it like I do diisopropyl ether. In other words, 3 months mandatory minimum test schedule. Written records taken and kept. For each container.

More than 60 years and more solid than liquid? that is absolutely shocking. And indeed, if I were in the building, or worse the room, pants-beshittenly terrifying, that ain't crusty, that is CHUNKY. Good fucking god almighty.

then:

To the OP of this thread:

Do this, do this now. Take your family with you. Take the illegals outa the place, do NOT take the former ether with you, do not touch it, move it, or look at it askance. The ether peroxides are at some of the most sensitive and dangerous examples of the scale of sensitivity and danger posed by sensitive primary explosives. Sorry if you need new underwear. But better than needing a reincarnation, no? leave it where it is, and get out. Stay out until the poor sod pros in the armored hazard suits take that thing out and be thankful that its gone. Because that is one extremely dangerous medical relic. Its 'live' and its timer is ticking.

And do please post back to tell us when you have done so, and when help arrives what happened to follow, so we know your alright. And if you get to watch the thing from a distance being 'safely' blasted to bits, do tell us. 60 years plus....I've never heard of, let alone SEEN the like. And I hope never, ever to see such a sight in person. I know I won't in any of my ether, dioxane, THF etc. because of testing and destruction of peroxides. I was really surprised you know, just anecdotally, to see that in some brands of ether starting fluid for cold-starting car engines in bad weather here, in the UK, an (allegedly) first-world country now don't have just diethyl ether as the ether content, but some a mixture of diisopropyl and diethyl ether and pretty sure I've seen one that was a mixture of diisopropyl ether and other solvents like acetone, naphtha, toluene or xylene and such. Possibly even one just diisopropyl ether and heptane plus some cylinder lubricant oil, but can't remember for sure. Diethyl ether would be far safer. There was even a label on the back saying 'warning, may form explosive peroxides in storage. Beats me why its sold in such a product (DIPE). Not unwelcome, although I can of course make it or buy it if I wish for it, but on the whole its one I don't like to keep around, and if needed I prefer to anticipate the need for it, get what I need, test on receipt with test paper, and once verified, if any presence of peroxide is present, its destroyed if low levels are present using sodium borohydride, sodium metal etc. (this is not for the non-chem-savvy to undertake using sodium metal to do this as it presents its own set of requirements for safely performing the task)

Kleinerkeffer-with the motivation and reasoning behind my 'reopening' of a mod-closed post without asking and waiting for a response in mind, owing to the immediate, clear and present very, very likely danger, and if so to life and limb to both the OP and to those around him/her I felt I must act regardless. I hope, thus knowing this you will see fit not to subject me to infraction or other punishment for going in and imparting the information regarding the OP's immediate safety and that of their family without waiting. That horror in the pictures might not have waited for all I could do or know. It may still, if the OP has not already got his drug stash/es out of the place to avoid jail time due to bad circumstances, if some shithead spots something and snitches etc then, gone to a place of safety whilst calling the fire service in their area to alert them to the presence and nature of the hazard,

And I sure as hell btw, do not know what diethyl ether peroxide or hydroperoxide tastes like, although diethyl ether has a kind of numbing effect on the local oral mucosa, tongue etc. And local anaesthetics of the sodium channel blocker (lidocaine etc) would NOT have a strong 'petrol-like' smell.

Although personally it doesn't smell like petrol at all to me. I love the smell of ether, its one of my favourite lab smells. If I had to pick three, they'd be diethyl ether, chloroform, and benzaldehyde (the latter smells wonderful, like a giant cherry bakewell tart and marzipan factory just suddenly evaporated into a big warm dense freshly baked pastry-vapor cloud thats sweet and smells nice enough to literally make my mouth water and my stomach rumble to tell me it wants to be filled promptly:))

It's easy to buy benzocaine oral gel.... No reason to resort to possibly explosive old stuff....

Awesome job on the ether warning! I never knew it was so explosive. I'm glad it is banned I'd probably have been a statistic back in my dmt and weed extraction days. I also see why mom and pop meth labs would explode now..... I thought it was a rapid pH change in a volatile solvent, which is probably a fraction of the cause.

Thank you Limpet Chicken - This is harm reduction at it's finest.

Thank you Kleinerkiffer for remaining objective enough to re-open this thread so that this can be shared.

I keep checking to see if OP has posted yet, which he has not. I hope all is well.

Me too.... It's scary to think of it. Hell fear and loathing just the fumes cause such a toxic effect.

A rapid PH change can often involve an exothermic reaction, in many instances. Such as for example, neutralization reactions in particular between acids and bases, or hydration and dilution of highly concentrated or solid acids/bases (for example, P2O5 [actually dimeric, as P4O10] phosphorus pentoxide, the anhydride of phosphoric acid H3PO4 (orthophosphoric acid) is a POWERFUL drying agent, capable of dehydrating even concentrated sulfuric acid. It gets awfully hot when it hydrates, as does conc. sulfuric acid, another potent acidic dehydrating agent, one must always when diluting H2SO4 for instance, add the acid to water, not water to acid, as adding smaller volumes of water to a larger volume of acid with sulfuric in the concentrated state where it expresses its powerful dehydrating agent side of its nature, allows all the water to be acted on by the excess of sulfuric, at once, and the hydration is very exothermic, so much so that the heat generated is sufficient to flashboil the water on the spot, causing the concentrated, highly corrosive acid to hiss, and to hawk up acid loogies. Which needless to say one does not wish to hit you, especially not to spit up in your face, in the eyes, up the nose (not had the latter happen with any acid, but once, whilst operating an electrolytic cell, making either potassium or sodium at various times with it, whilst preparing some sodium metal, a piece of molten sodium being ripped forth from a bath of molten, fused caustic soda (sodium hydroxide/NaOH) by means of a current of about 35-36 amps at a relatively low voltage, insufficient to be lethal due to the low voltage, but certainly enough to drive the coulombs through the melt, and maintain it at a molten state after turning the external heating off, was wearing eye protection, but sodium being sodium, and molten sodium being, well, searing hot liquid metal that reacts violently with water when introduced at room temperature, popping, banging sparking, generating hydrogen gas from reduction of the H2O and leaving caustic soda in its wake, spat, when on contact with air at a temperature of several hundred degrees 'C, the sodium blob went off and propelled itself upwards, right up my right nostril and noses being noses, full of water and mucous membrane, after hitting my septum, blew its top in there leaving a caustic soda-covered/filled crater in its wake, blasted and burnt and seared chemically by the caustic alkali left behind in my septum. Made me bloody jump thats for sure, not to mention employ a profusion of creative and definitely colourful profanity that a child should not have known let alone cut loose with like I did that early morning/late night:p surprised I didn't wake the folks up with the torrent of obscenity that followed in several languages.

As for rapid PH change, certainly rapid hydration of acid or base anhydrides tends to be very exothermic (in making sulfuric acid from sulfur trioxide for example, its acid anhydride, SO3, it isn't dissolved in water, but in less concentrated H2SO4, because the heating is less, and just dropping SO3 in the solid state would cause it to react with a pretty violent vaporization, throwing clouds of acid about, so the vapor of SO3 is introduced into a stream of H2SO4.

Or on the basic (alkaline) side, quicklime, calcium oxide, hydrates to give the hydroxide (2CaO+2H2O=Ca(OH)2 ) Accompanied by intense and rapid heating, although being an absorbent solid that is not volatile it does not spit, but turn to sludge or paste if enough water is added, its an excellent dessicant for amines, and also in drying tubes for many applications to keep the moisture in the air out from entering a reaction vessel, a tube packed with CaO serves excellently when there are not acid gases involved (for this, often, anhydrous calcium chloride is the choice, since its unsuitable for alkaline vapors that are required to be condensed and utilized, as its somewhat acidic and can react with them)

And tacodude-ether isn't banned, its just old fashioned and outmoded as hell as an anaesthetic. It requires high concentrations to be inhaled for surgical anaesthesia which are strong enough to be irritating and cause coughing etc. Diethyl (and diisopropyl) ethers are found in many car engine winter cold-start fluids due to its volatility and flammability as a spray in a can, mixed usually with heptane if there are no really bad contaminants in it, plus some heavy, low volatility high- boiling mineral oil (actually I find the oil, a cylinder lubricant for car engine pistons, to be useful, in that the propellant gas just vaporises off right away whilst the ether is rapidly volatile and evaporates when sprayed on the upper, mating parts of ground-glass joints, leaving a thin film of cylinder lube behind to grease glassware for many 'workaday' sort of demands in terms of conditions that do not need 'special duty' special purpose kinds of resistant lubricants (although there are plenty things that do, like vacuum greases for vac distillations ideally, for best performance, there are things that I don't use greases for, but instead employ tight-fitting windings of teflon tape to prevent the grease being attacked, like when I made and distilled some iodine monochloride, that needed all-glass equipment, all-glass syringes without seals on the plungers to protect everything from the ICl being formed (by passing dried chlorine gas from a DIY'ed chlorine gas generator, since sadly I haven't my own pressurized Cl2 gas tank and regulator, through its drying tube into a condenser packed with iodine, and condensing the formed liquid (the other chloride of iodine is iodine trichloride, ICl3, which is a yellow solid, unstable if not under a chlorine atmosphere and disproportionates to form ICl and Cl2 otherwise)

sweeping the Cl2 gas along by a diluting current of dry argon, an inert element of the noble gases group, through the lumps of iodine in a horizontal condenser, using a second condenser running coolant through the jacket of that one, to condense the vapors of iodine monochloride, as a dark, typically liquid with a volatile, bromine-like character. Very dense, powerfully oxidizing, corrosive as blazes stuff that fumes in air, hydrolyzing with atmospheric moisture, having two crystalline polymorphs but with a tendency to stay at least partially liquid once melted at ambient temperatures, even though stored in its chemical attack-resistant bottle with its (presumably fluoroinert polymer of some sort, although doesn't feel slippery enough to be teflon to me, and an inner, similarly inert compressible seal, the screw threads of which I've wrapped in teflon tape in generous quantities, wasn't sure what they are made of but due to how they were obtained knew they were compatible with surviving exposure to ICl, although it is highly aggressive to other non-inert plastics. Then leaving it overnight (the ICl obtained after distillation) to stand with a tube parallel to the flask top and connected, containing a little excess I2, to cause any formed ICl3 to react and form a purer ICl product)

the traces of vapor escaping from the teflon-lined glassware seals being enough to rip through all but 2 or 3 of my plastic keck-clips (small clamps for holding glassware joints secure and tight fit together) and disintegrate them into little fragments at a rate of one every 15 minutes or so if they were kinda mid-level lucky and long lived) Stainless steel I use now instead after that, although I'd like some perfluorinated polymer-coated stainless steel ones if they are available, since ICl attacks and corrodes stainless, rusting it to fuck and beyond pretty quickly, one did survive actually whole overnight, although at first bronze colored and then subsequently rusted so badly it was retired from service. permanently.)

Ether though, itself, is not such a bad, evil entity of any kind. Its to be treated with great care and responsibility, regularly checked for peroxides, kept well away from sources of ignition, its ether peroxide thats the bad actor. The ether itself, is merely something that can if not maintained as it ought to be, form it, and therein, flammability/volatility aside lies the danger. But the peroxide it forms if that is permitted to take place and not regularly checked and traces destroyed, and not stored correctly, that causes the hazard. I'm surprised if that IS (was) ether gone so crusty and bad that it'd fossilized could exist without internal stresses within a lump like that causing it to blast itself to hell (yet) or detonate the moment its container was touched, or put down. If it is ether, and it certainly sounds like it, given the context and description, and storage in amber glass, the smell and incompatibility with being chloroform or similar, then bugger me, the OP got away luckily as hell for that to not detonate immediately.

I myself have never had a problem with ether(s) going boom because of peroxides. this is because I am careful with them, and I do not allow peroxides to form within it and remain at any concentration detected without an immediate response to treat it and destroy them. Got 2.5 liters of THF (tetrahydrofuran) a cyclic ether solvent thats fairly polar, and aprotic, useful for performing reactions using hydrides in particular or other such sensitive reactions in the chemical fridge, and although not yet opened, once it has been, it'll be checked every few months, note of last check taken down, date, whether treated, degree of indicator reaction with iodide-starch paper if any visible, date of next check to be performed and date of first opening, so I know how fresh it is, how long its been there, how clean it was at last check and is now, make observations on rate of change. Fill the empty space when some is used up with argon gas to exclude oxygen) Thats probably a lot more cautious than most commercial or uni labs do since I hear plenty of horror stories and tales that make you think 'bloody christ, glad that wasn't sitting in the back of MY chemical cabinets for an unknown time growing crusty and needing the bomb squad in. Or 'thank fuck that was somebody else's fridge because what used to be a fridge is now leading a new life as a cautionary tale embedded in pieces in the ceiling (no joke that one comes from one I read about in a business or research lab not somebody's personal setup)

One important thing is, working with chemicals of a non-mundane innocent harmless kind, is to know what your working with intimately. And if you don't, study it first, learn what your going to go up against, and then, where appropriate (like hydrides for example, they in many cases ignite on contact with water, where oxygen is present, and do so potentially violently indeed, and for that matter, things like say, lith-al, aka LAH, lithium aluminium hydride, LiAlH4, a powerful reducing agent, or sodium/potassium hydrides, are used in THF or ether solution/suspensions and before working with such a reagent, I first read about its properties, potential reactivity, toxicity, then study it before use in practice, take a little out, a scoop of it on a spatula, and place it on a dry tile, outside, where regardless of how much it wants to smoke, flare, burst into flames hiss and spit et cetera something can be put there, and watched to see how long it takes, the magnitude of the reaction (this mind you doesn't apply to damnably unstable high explosives, although I don't work with explosives. I USED to bugger about with them way too much as a kid, now I'm into organic chemistry and biology/biotech geekery. But I still have the knowledge, and its useful to know what WILL explode in order to AVOID taking a course of action, or mixing some sort of combination of reagents for an experimental synthesis protocol that will generate an explosive as a side product, for example in a blog I read sometimes there are SO many horror tales of undergrads doing things like trying to clean something in or containing acetone away with piranha bath (concntrated sulfuric acid with hydrogen peroxide added to it, which is a very, very powerful and effective oxidizing agent, but first requires treatment of the muck to burn it away to inorganic carbon ideally at worst, or an undergrad dumping out their piranha acid (peroxymonosulfuric acid) into a general-purpose organic waste bin, a delay and then BOOM it goes in a blast of flames and concentrated, highly oxidizing bloody piranha bath. Or times undergrad students go and get themselves ABOUT to do something like react something in acidic conditions in acetone as a solvent or something that will react to form similarly dangerous organoperoxide byproducts (the blog IIRC mentioned jihadi wannabe suicide bombers calling acetone peroxide 'the mother of satan' because of its unstable psychotic tendencies:p) and deciding (the students) 'oh yeah, lets use peroxide as the oxidizer, its nice and clean and decomposes into water and oxygen gas' before (hopefully) somebody steps in and stops them from doing what they were about to, leaving them with no more hurt done than to their pride and a hole the size it'd take to remove the money it costs for a new pair of underwear, or else some of the worst ones actually doing the reaction before somebody realized and called in the hazmat squads, evacuated the place after hundreds of grams, or even worse, of triacetonetriperoxide or diacetone diperoxide actually form, the student wonders 'errr this is more crystalline product than the maximum theoretical yield of the intended product, where did this come fro....oohhhhh shIIT...*que the evacuation and students tip-toe-ing out speaking in hushed whispers when the word is put round of what got made and how much*

(a gram would be dangerous enough, some grad student albeit innocently and not meaning to, making 100s of grams of 'the mother of satan' to suicide bomber scumbags is absolutely capable of blasting people into a thousand tiny little splatters, in an inadvertent suicide, and leaving a whopping great hole in the surroundings) I would never, ever mess with the stuff even as a little kid. But knowing how and why and in what conditions it forms, and how unstable it is allows me to stop and think 'no, I'll use a different solvent for an oxidation with peroxide' or 'no, LC, you are choosing a different oxidizing agent that will not result in peroxide formation when acetone is chosen as the solvent' and thereby get to keep my fingers attached to my hands instead of having bloody bone-fragment-studded nubs that end at the top of my shoes instead of at my wrists. And stop my wrists from becoming somebody else's, mounted on the back of their heads=D

And keeping it that way is just the way I like it. Bodyparts attached where they are meant to be.

The last time something actually serious and bad happened to me, it was because of a police (illegal) raid, and them actively tampering with something of mine which was left there and the label removed. Resulting in my nearly being blinded permanently, and suffering from an extremely painful experience that did result in temporary blindness. Not because of something stupid I am the guilty party behind.

And tacodude, the quote in fear and loathing is massively embellished. I've had inhalational diethyl (and diisopropyl) ethers, and I even make a mean ether cocktail, that I've christened a 'manhattan project' involving a specific brand of codeine linctus, flavoured with chloroform (I don't add, and wouldn't either, the chloroform, its in the cough syrup by design, as bottled in the pharmaceutical company plants to their specs, it just happens to be the brand that works flavour-wise for the cocktail), tesco own brand lime carbonated fizzy pop, of a lurid green color, plenty of fresh lime juice, a squeeze of lemon juice, that I added in later revisions to the recipe, a spritz of good quality chilled vodka, and uses two slices of lime and a slice of lemon or lime to preference to hold in place, after the seeds are dug out if any there be, to serve like a lock and hold in place a little lightweight shot glass with a little ether (not much, about a teaspoon or two is a hefty shot with ether, although it lacks alcohol's foul hangover, more dissociative anaesthetic than sedative-downer), so light on the alcohol too, although some vodka and an aqueous diluent like sugared lemon&lime juice with some sprinkled lime zest over the top, like a jagerbomb, thats shotted down with the first gulp, chased first by the (dilute) tall cocktail glass of vodka-pepped-up lime fizz, and finally a layer of sugary, sweet, aromatic chloroform-scented codeine syrup, as a layer on the bottom, carefully poured so as for the syrup to form a layer at the bottom and stay that way until its drunk.

I sure as shit wouldn't let that thing in the pictures anywhere near a glass (or anywhere near my house for that matter) of anything I was going to drink or approach though. The kind of heartburn thats first symptom is your ribs bursting outwards with a sizzling, smoking braised heart kebabbed on one end and stuck in the opposite-facing wall, is, I should think, considered an event generally of a medically speaking, rather pessimistic prognosis=D

I get bad enough heartburn without drinking anything, alcoholic, etherial, both or neither, but I doubt any amount of gaviscon would help soothe heartburn that bad:p

The ether isn't toxic though, its just a really quite potent but pleasant dissociative anaesthetic(as for that matter would pure undiluted alcohol, it has to be diluted before we drink vodka, its not anhydrous, neat ethanol we drink) Sure, its also a solvent. So is ethyl alcohol.
Its just a matter of serving it right. The polish had a large history, as apparently did prohibition-era americans.) IIRC the polish/russians floated it on milk. Never tried it that way, I just...well it doesn't feel like it'd taste right in milky anything. Lime and cough syrup works though :p

Last edited: