Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Unisom sleepgels (capsules) 50mg Diphenhydramine hydrochloride - Anti histamine

Sublimit

Bluelighter
Hey guys, can anyone here be able to help me on this one? Spoke to my doc the other day and he suggested that they work great for sleeping and as a short term alternative to a benzo. he told me that they are prescription free and you can get em over the counter.

I've been to 5 chemists around my area and they all say that the don't have any in stock. so i get online and see that the Australian online pharmacy's require a prescription. so this is a bit inconvenient as i cant see a doctor for a while because i simply cant afford to atm

none of the Chemists i went to said that they couldn't tell me when they can order some in...

Anyone one here know whats up with this? there was an American site offering them for a cheaper price before shipment. but i never bought anything from overseas before, and i'm scared to try to be honest. My doctor was adamant that they are prescription free here in melbourne so i i bit confused from the online pharmacy prescription requirement thing.

anyone have any info on this then it would be much appreciated, cheers.

It's probably a pharmacist only med thats the reason for the online thing. Also why not find a better doctor who bulk bills !

They are gels so they are easy to inject with heroin, tat is probably why. Find a smaller chemist they should have it, get your ID out instantly and ask for Unisom, if asked say you arn't on any meds and you use them from time to time because of work.

Note: These only work for a night or two and you will see weird visuals before sleep, especically if you have TV on. My hallucinations were seeing mouths mouth everything that was said in TV from many different faces. I've also had massive hallucinations and delusions using medicines like this.

MIMS:

Diphenhydramine hydrochloride Johnson & Johnson Pacific Pty Limited
MIMS Abbreviated Prescribing Information

Section: 3(a) Sedatives, hypnotics
Consumer Medicine Information: Available

Pregnancy Category: A

Sport Category: Permitted in sport

Uses/Indications: Short-term relief of insomnia

Contraindications: Acute asthma; narrow angle glaucoma; prostatic hypertrophy, bladder obstruction; peptic ulcer; pyloroduodenal obstruction; concomitant antidepressants; premature/newborn infants

Precautions: Cirrhosis; history of asthma; lactation, children < 12 years

Adverse Reactions: Drowsiness, dizziness; anticholinergic effects; GI disturbances

Drug Interactions]/B]: CNS depressants incl. alcohol; MAOIs

UNISOM SLEEPGELS (Capsules) S3 This product may cause drowsiness.
Diphenhydramine HCl; blue soft gelatin; gluten free;
Dose: May be taken with or without food. Adults, children > 12 years: 1 cap at bedtime; review after 7-10 nights
Pack: 50 mg [8] Private: $8.xx

Unisom Sleepgels 50 mg

t0312501.jpg

MIMS Full Prescribing Information

Section: 3(a) Sedatives, hypnotics SECTION NOTES

Composition

Active. Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride USP.

Inactive. Macrogol 400, glycerol, gelatin, sorbitol, brilliant blue FCF, shellac, titanium dioxide, propylene glycol, purified water.

Actions

Ethanolamine antihistamine with anticholinergic and sedative effects.

Pharmacokinetics. Absorption. Diphenhydramine is well absorbed following oral administration with the drug appearing in plasma within 15 minutes. Peak plasma concentrations are achieved within one to four hours. The sedative effect appears to be maximal within one to three hours after administration of a single dose of diphenhydramine.

Distribution. Distribution has not been fully characterised. The drug crosses the placenta and has been detected in human milk although the extent has not been quantified. Diphenhydramine is approximately 80 to 85% protein bound in vitro. Less extensive protein binding has been reported in healthy adults of oriental descent and in adults with hepatic cirrhosis.

Excretion. The terminal elimination half-life of diphenhydramine appears to range from 2.4 to 9.3 hours in healthy adults. It may be prolonged in adults with hepatic cirrhosis.

Diphenhydramine is rapidly and almost completely metabolised. Following oral administration of a single 100 mg dose in healthy adults, about 50 to 75% of the dose is excreted in urine within four days, almost completely as metabolites. Most urinary excretion occurs within the first 24 to 48 hours and only about 1% of a single dose is excreted unchanged in the urine.

Indications

Short-term management of insomnia.

Contraindications

Premature or newborn infants. Hypersensitivity to the drug. Asthma attack, narrow angle glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy, stenosing peptic ulcer, pyloroduodenal obstruction, bladder neck obstruction, concomitant antidepressant therapy.

Precautions

Diphenhydramine has an atropine-like action which should be considered. It should be used with caution in people with a history of asthma.

Diphenhydramine may have an additive effect when taken with alcohol and other CNS depressants. Patients should avoid alcohol and should not drive a motor vehicle.

Diphenhydramine should not be taken in conjunction with other antihistamines, sedatives or tranquillizers except on medical advice.

Impaired hepatic function. The terminal half-life may be prolonged in patients with cirrhosis.

Carcinogenesis, mutagenesis, impairment of fertility. Long-term animal studies to determine the mutagenic and carcinogenic potential of diphenhydramine have not been performed to date.

Use in pregnancy. (Category A)

Use in lactation. Diphenhydramine has been detected in breast milk. (See Actions, Pharmacokinetics.)

Use in children. See Contraindications.

Effect on ability to drive or operate machinery. See general precautions, above.

Adverse Reactions]/b]

The most common side effect is slight drowsiness to deep sleep, including lassitude, dizziness and incoordination. Other effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, blurred vision, dry mouth, urinary retention, dysuria, tightness of the chest, hypotension, muscular weakness, tinnitus, euphoria and, occasionally, headache.

Interactions

MAOIs prolong and intensify the anticholinergic effects of antihistamines. The CNS effects of diphenhydramine are increased by alcohol and other CNS depressant drugs.

Dosage and Administration

Adults, children over 12 years. 1 capsule at bedtime if needed.

Should sleeplessness persist for more than seven to ten nights, further medical advice should be sought.

Overdosage

Symptoms. Antihistamine overdosage reactions may vary from CNS depression to stimulation. Stimulation is particularly likely in children. Atropine-like signs and symptoms (e.g. dry mouth, fixed and dilated pupils, flushing) and gastrointestinal symptoms may also occur.

Treatment. Administration of activated charcoal should be considered. The stomach may be emptied by aspiration and lavage. Emetics may be tried if the patient is alert.

Presentation

Capsules, 50 mg (blue, soft gelatin, marked UNISOM): 8's.

Unisom Sleepgels 50 mg.

Poison Schedule S3.

Date of TGA Approval or Manufacturer's Last Amendment 01/02/1996

heard of these being shot up over east alot...kinda taken the place after gel mazzies were taken off the market.

yeah the junkies put the smack in the syringe then pull up 50 units or so of unisom from the geltab.. then boof it..

what are gel mezzies Temazepam?

i never thought that IV'ing an anti histamine would be attempted... wouldn't the gel be thick and bad for you veins?

Anyway, i guess i'll try a few more chemists. and if it comes down to it i'll just get a script from my local doctor when i see him next, so i'll be able to bye online.

Thanks for all the replys and info so far guys

Temazepam 30mg used to be black gels which were in an injectable solution but obviously not made for this. At dry times they went to a doctor and got a script to inject along with eating panadeine forte or tramal. It was big over in WA.

Temazepam only comes in 10mg form now. Temaze is still easy to shoot apparently as he tablets are as tiny as sugarines and little binders. The Normison (aka Temitab) orange pills are a lot harder to shoot.

Ask a few pharmacists for RESTAVIT; it contains doxylamine succinate which is very good for inducing sleep. Its OTC in Melbourne....

Same diff, they work for about a day or two then theyre useless, i have found anyway being an insomniac.

Yes, its true, I've done this because its easily attainable here and gives a nice relaxing effect only for a few minutes though.....and YES, its very thick...does anybody know how I can fix this so its just diphenhydramine or if you know of a chemist that could help out....thanks

Dramamine.
You are car sick and going on a road trip, they cannot refuse

dont quite understand the keeness here for anti-histamines over other more efficient sleeping aids, however as a reference I just came across an interesting article put out by the TGA on the core sedating anti-histamines

click it

Heisenberg etc are correct - quite a big scene of injecting Unisom gels with heroin (in Melbourne at least). As a result, many pharmacists don't stock it any more - or have bumped the price x2.5 to cash in.

There is another OTC antihistamine sleeper gel - Dozile - which may be easier to buy.

Or just look for tablet (rather than gel) formulations - less easy to inject so less likely to be triggering pharmacy paranoia...

btw - injecting benzo tablets (temazepam, alprazolam etc) is pretty fucking disastrous. They aren't water soluble drugs so you are going to get fuck all effect, and screw your veins to boot.

Dozile is the one to buy. Not only have they made them sting says my doctor for the duration of the heroin trip, bite into the purple gels, they're the most nasty shit like petrol

Careful you don't eat too many. The associated delirium is not fun.

Hey rolls are you saying dozile or unisom are vile tasting? Dozile is doxylamine like restavit right?

filenet said:
dont quite understand the keeness here for anti-histamines over other more efficient sleeping aids, however as a reference I just came across an interesting article put out by the TGA on the core sedating anti-histamines

Thanks for the article link :) The "real" and efficient sleeping aids are all benzos or hypnotics and all need prescriptions right? I kind of don't like asking my GP for sleeping pills more than once or twice a year (strongest he's ever given me are temazepam anyway - long story) and I'm not one to doctor shop so something over-the-counter is always convenient. As heisenberg said, restavit, unisom etc don't relaly work for more than a couple of nights in a row though.

Ho-hum, there's always valerian and a cup of chamomile tea... 8)

Dozile taste fucking rank and adulterated ones not the white round pills

you can order Diphenhydramine hydrochloride over the net... i got mine from england 200pills for $
not sure how this compares to the gels but since its the same active ingredient.. and the only one listed

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy I used to get h off shot these into his neck, the last time I saw him he had a massive abscess and his hands were swollen and full of fluid. It can't be good for your insides.

Dramamine.
You are car sick and going on a road trip, they cannot refuse

If it's not on the shelf infront of you they can always pull out the "oh sorry, we're out of stock"

Makes me want to punch them so i don't see how it's very non-confrontational approach to saying NO. I resent being lied to.