• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Understanding

Talksick

Bluelighter
I am very interested in trying to find the most simple explanations for things. I feel that subtle examples are the most rich in understanding. That being said, what is understanding? This is my simplified “understanding” of understanding.

In the topic called what is truth I left a response that said:

Good
------- = Truth
Bad

This sparked a simple revelation in my head(the kind I love the most), and I began contemplating the word understanding. At first glance I noticed the obvious fact that understanding can be switched around to say standing-under. Which further sparked my interest because the idea currently engulfing my brain actually concluded what I wrote about in: Ideas on God from an Unbiased Standpoint

You cannot grasp a concept without first being affected by it. Even more important you cannot fully grasp a concept without first being affected by it, and its opposite. For instance: How could you hate if you’ve never loved? How could you love if you’ve never felt hatred? You have to know what it’s like to have something taken away before you truly appreciate it. You must ‘stand-under’ to understand. Only then will you know the truth.

With that said, it is my belief that our creator being the omniscient force that it is/they are could only become all-knowing by first ‘standing-under’ or standing down; Taking a walk in another’s shoes, if you will.

Imagine this: All is void; nothingness. Naturally, out of nothingness comes potential. You are first thought, first energy; First potential. You are overwhelmed with the greatness of revelation, and the joy of creation. You create the most vivid and wonderful scenes for the sole purpose of basking in your own greatness; And why should you not? While you revel in all of your glory you realize that: you once were not, but now you are. This idea provokes thought, but you can’t quite comprehend it. You come to the realize that the only way you will ever understand is to ‘stand-under’, so you create a rich ecosystem with beautiful scenery, animals, vegetation, but most important sentient beings. You befriend these beings, and give them the option to continue living their wonderful, albeit meaningless lives, or to gain the knowledge of good and evil(understanding). In doing this you relinquish all power. You stand down; ‘stand-under’.

I don't quite understand what I've come up with here. Hopefully some people will have inspiring things to say about this.

What do you mean by "to gain the knowledge of good and evil" giving one understanding? Does not compute here.
Wouldn't you agree, that there is nothing inherently good nor evil and the only thing, that labels something as good and evil is the human mind?

What do you mean by "to gain the knowledge of good and evil" giving one understanding? Does not compute here.
Wouldn't you agree, that there is nothing inherently good nor evil and the only thing, that labels something as good and evil is the human mind?

Yes, but I never said anything about inherently. I am using good and evil as a show of contrast. It could be positive and negative energy. It doesn't matter what words you use the point is to show opposing forces. You cannot tell me there is no positive and negative energy. That is plain old elementary science.

Yes, but I never said anything about inherently. I am using good and evil as a show of contrast. It could be positive and negative energy. It doesn't matter what words you use the point is to show opposing forces. You cannot tell me there is no positive and negative energy. That is plain old elementary science.
You need to elaborate on this one. It seems to me, that you are just mixing up different vague concepts to suit your beliefs. :)
As far as I know energy is just energy, there's no positive or negative energy. At least in science terms.
And I do not really get what you're trying to point at with this. So I'll ask again:
What do you mean by "to gain the knowledge of good and evil" leads one to understanding?

I'm not saying that the knowledge of good and evil leads to understanding. I am saying that understanding comes from contrast. For example:

Say you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and never had to lift a finger for anything. Then for some reason you piss your parents off and they say you are on your own. Now that you are broke and struggling you appreciate what you had before and understand your foolishness.

Maybe if you read the link I posted it would make more sense.

P.s.
I was talking about positive and negative charge. Such as in electrical, magnets, etc. You can't tell me that positive and negative don't exist. Everything has an opposite therefore neither of them could exist without the other.