Undercover/police's catching dealers?

AireePotter

Bluelighter
Do they focus on very big distributors of any drug, such as hundreds or thousands of ecstasy pills, or pounds of weed, etc? Or is it still very likely for them to catch the "small fry"? Second, how would they go about arresting them? would they contact the parents first?

Big time dealers, but they do it the other way around, catching people buying small amounts of drugs, stupid shit.

^ then they try and get the small timer to try and spill the beans on where they source their shit and hope its a big timer IMO.

Depends on the circumstance. In the club scene they'll usually go for the guys dealing within the club, or try bust someone using in the club and pressure them into ratting out one of the club dealers. Then take them for all their worth and try pressure them into revealing the next guy up the chain, etc etc.

Do they contact the parents first? WTF? LOL!!

Are you a minor by any chance? That is the only way i could possibly see that justifying that question.....

Anyways they bust anybody they see fit. they mos definately do not only bust 'big guys.' 'small frys' are just as much on the radar. theres a reason they got the DEA, FBI, and local police. feds handle the big guys. locals handle people just tryna move a lil shit to get by. anybody can go down even people who sell a gram of weed. believe it.

Also, if somebody has even an eighth of marijuana in their car, with a pack of baggies... or even say a couple of ounces in 2 bags, and like 10 8ths in baggies, plus extra baggies, that person would probably get charged with distributing or conspiracy to distribute drugs.

Then, they would attempt to interrogate them to get to their dealer, up and up the chain if it works.

Yeah, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^666

Everyone around here for that matter doesnt use any baggies, they have all there weed in one container, in one bag. Kinda stupid to go buy a dub, and they fucking hand you like 2 or 3 huge nugs! Just put it in your pocket or something?@?!?!?!?!

[Chris, I edited this to remove potentially incriminating comments. Not a big deal, but we try to be extra careful in this forum. Thanks-- tobala]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think an important thing to keep in mind is the way LE uses Confidential Informants (CI's) in the course of investigations and subsequently at the trials of those arrested with the assistance of these CI's.

As the methamphetamine chemist-turned-author Uncle Fester once wrote: "Law enforcement couldn't catch a cockroach crawling across the kitchen table without a snitch."

And he may be right. It's not a testament to the stupidity of LE, but rather they're trying to enforce laws against transactions between consenting adults. When a "crime" has no real victims (other than those resulting from a black market created by drug law itself), it's almost impossible to enforce the laws against it without the cooperation of the "criminals" involved (CI's).

IMO if you are a minor stop dealing!
you're throwing your life away if you get caught

as to answer your questions, no they wont call your parents, and yes they use undercovers for small time drug dealers too. Its not something you see all the time, but it can happen randomly.

^ then they try and get the small timer to try and spill the beans on where they source their shit and hope its a big timer IMO.

this totally makes no sense to me...like on cops when they bust people, for a felony, for buying $5 WORTH of crap from a random fool on the street. like these people really know people higher up...

clearly just arrests for stats, or whatever...making arrests and shit go up to make them look better for doing their job...quotas

dude, if hes a minor they most def will call his parents
send papers to his registered address, etc

No youre not. If youre a minor and you get caught dealing its waaaaay less likely to throw your life away than if you are over 18. penalties for underage crimes are less and get expunged after a certain amt. of time. It aint a good look to get busted young but my point is that your statement is actually the opposite of true. and yea, CI's scum of the fuckin earth, is wat enables our drug using community to get tore apart again and again cuz of some ball-less wonder with a case who cant face it. Otherwise it would be very hard for them to get much of anything. rats are their bread and butter.

I'm assuming you're a minor, and in that case, they would not contact your parents until they (hypothetically) arrested you, or found something incriminating and chose to let them handle it rather than pressing charges. In the instance you were *caught* though, they would contact your parents immediately if you're a minor.

Don't think for one second cops only go after "big time" dealers, they are eager to bust anyone they possibly can, and they definitely love busting people for selling drugs (or allegedly selling drugs). I will not go into any detail, but I know FOR A FACT that there are mad undercover's buying drugs from ANYONE. Any kind of drug. [No advice on how to break the law. Thanks. :) --tobala]

Pertaining to the category of snitches, I also know for a FACT that la policia pay people a very decent amount of cash to set people up. If you know the right people and get busted real bad doing anything, they will sometimes offer you a lesser sentence or drop your charge if you can set someone up that they've been trying to catch for a while, or someone they would get a lot out of. Police are the most corrupt people ever, and I've never told anyone this, and again I will refrain from details... but I have some very legit inside information on the 'system' (if you'd like to call it that) here, and there is some crazy shit going on involving meth selling and doing, crazy ass set ups, and maddddd people being watched without even suspecting it what-so-ever. Be careful! And remember no matter whatttttt do not think you can be real with a cop for even a split second. That's what they want you to do

Last edited by a moderator:
No I am not a minor or a dealer! I'm just really curious as to how they go about catching these sorts of people or how the system works. I think I'm just way too interested in anything that has to do with drugs...their synthesis, the black market, the legal side...The only way I hear about people getting caught is someone snitching or them being really stupid about it...being open about it...etc. I also heard that they randomly listen in on telephone conversations? but mostly for terrorist related activities? I really don't know...that's why I am here to ask :)

No youre not. If youre a minor and you get caught dealing its waaaaay less likely to throw your life away than if you are over 18.

Its not so much throwing your entire life away ya ill give you that but it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult.

A lot of colleges don't like to see that you have a drug distribution charge on your record

Certain jobs don't like to see it either

Some schools will even kick you out once you get arrested.

how did the poster asking this question turn out to be a minor + dealer...? howd that happen. some of us are just curious cats -______-

wish i could answer the question though, bud.

Often times smaller dealers/users are the ones that get caught the most. They're the easiest to catch, less violent, and can't afford lawyers.

It's a lot easier to go after a medium-small dealer than to go after a cartel/drug kingpin.

If you make it easy for them (or if an informant makes it easy) the police will be more than happy to arrest you. In comparison big time dealers almost never get caught compared to street pushers/small time dealers.

^ I'm not sure about that last sentence. If you're a big time dealer, my impression is that you have a pretty good chance of eventually either getting killed or going to jail for a very long time.

But I don't know the statistics.

Anyone here watched The Wire?

It's an amazing show, probably the best thing I've watched on TV, and it deals in depth with how the police try to track and bring down drug distribution.
The two guys responsible for the show are an ex-cop and a journalist from Baltimore.
While not a true story, it has many of its characters on both sides of the law based on actual people (or a combination people) in Baltimore history, from the low-level slingers to the dons to the pigs and the law-makers, and the shit that plays out in the series is all pulled from local history. There's even been a few drug traffickers upset about obviously being portrayed by characters in the show under a different name.
I feel like since I've watched the show I understand a little more in-depth how tracking realistically goes on. Hypothetical advice:

1. If they're listening to your line, or more likely your dealer's line, masking the words probably won't help much. They know what you're talking about.

2. It costs a lot of money to maintain a wiretap or listen to people's conversations, a lot of man hours, and there are so damn many goings on in big cities and a need for cops to be doing something that more than likely you're not far up enough on the food chain (or obvious enough) for anybody to give a shit about you. After 9/11 a lot of money got moved around and the drug war isn't what it was.

3. If you do talk to your people over the phone, make small talk first for a minute or two.

4. Keep yourself insulated with discreet people. If your people are discreet, then you run less of a chance of popping up on the radar.

5. Cops are dumb and removed from your reality. They can maintain a totally deluded understanding of what's really going for a long period of time because they don't have a way to check their facts beyond occasional CI's and busts. This can be either good or bad depending on what they hear.

There's plenty more but I thought it might be a conversation starter

^ ive seen it and agree with you 100%

but it would usually go like an CI has got the scoop on this never before seen guy, buying up a larger supply of drugs, or selling, an they would start their investigation there. Then hope that it would lead them to the bigger dealers and distibutors, and so on...