• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Underated Games (not just RPGs this time)

Landoallah

Bluelighter
goddamn i am so excited that us drug users have a video game forum :) Gamefaqs can get really really annoying....

Shenmue for the DC was one of the most beautiful and immersive game's that i have ever played in my life, it even got my mom and dad watching me play it and helping me out! my parents don't like video games by the way, but they got really involved in this experience which was cool.

Another similiar game is Indigo Prophecy for the PS2, which is an extremely immersive gameworld as well, and one of the best stories i have experienced in a video game too. This game goes for less than $20 new and is for the PS2.

What are some of your favorite games that no one seems to like or don't get credit?

Very true... I had reservations about lumping games and sports in a single forum, but I guess thats alright :)

I will definitely check out indigo prophecy.

Again I would say VAGRANT STORY and VALKYRIE PROFILE are greatly underrated.

I'll try to think of others :)

I like nethack. It's kind of a predesesor to MUDs. I't's an old DOS game from 1980s but still very immersive

+1 to the forum love. Most vg/sports forums are retarded rodeos and it's nice to not hear "omg you use drugs what a loozer!!one!". That aside...

I'll give a shout-out to the original Final Fantasy. I know it seems odd to call a FF game underrated, but most people played a subsequent FF before playing this, and they just look at it as poor graphics. But nobody seems to realize how much of a revolution this game made.

Also, no FF1 remakes for me. NES cart all the way!

^ Speaking of which, I DO think FFII (NOT FFIV aka FFIIUS) is actually more underrated than the original one. It is the only one that never got a remake. The little I played of it showed promise with the system where you can take pieces of conversation and tell them to other people.

Apparently it is being remade for the PCP, though.

I too have is dislike for FF games. I did enjoy numba 3 but now their just getting crazy with remakes and shit. Anyway, does anybody remember manhunt? I love that game but nowadays it's in the $10 and shit oh well.

Shadowrun
588651.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Definitely a cult classic, interestingly I would have thought that I'd have met more people that have played this game. I managed at a couple of different videogame stores for years, in addition to just being a straight up gaming nerd since childhood, and I was always surprised at how many people that like adventure/RPG style games either a) never heard of Shadowrun, or b) just never got a chance to play it. Classic game in my opinion, it really has a lot of prescence and is highly suggested.

Now then! This is totally random, but check out this game for the original NES that was never released in America :

badminton.jpg

You can find this game and a bunch of other interesting non-released games that are being produced "legally" (see disclaimer on home page of the following link); I was like "what the hell?!" when I saw this :

Game Productions

And no, this is not an endorsement, just an interesting find I wanted to share with any fellow game nerdbeans out there!

:D

Last edited:
Sorry, going to have to go off on a tangent (you did not specify only console/pc games)

Battling Tops! It was "all in the wrist action" - which set me up for later life! :\

i just want to second shadowrun for snes, one of my favorite games of all time. i KILLED the gladiator battles in the junkyard.

Here is a genre-defying game that is virtually unheard of:

200px-Deception3case.jpg

Deception III: Dark Delusion, the sequel to Kagero: Deception and Deception II. Granted, the game does leave lots to be desired - but it is still a masterpiece in terms of originality.

Although you may need at least a tinge of S&M to enjoy it ;)

Jamshyd said:
Here is a genre-defying game that is virtually unheard of:

200px-Deception3case.jpg

Deception III: Dark Delusion, the sequel to Kagero: Deception and Deception II. Granted, the game does leave lots to be desired - but it is still a masterpiece in terms of originality.

Although you may need at least a tinge of S&M to enjoy it ;)

oh yeah those games are great, setting up traps to kill a victim? that's very classic and original! i love those games, trying to relocate them right now because i sold a lot of my old games ;( live and learn i guess, live and learn.

Shadowrun is good too, and has a ton of replay value....gonna have to start replaying that soon.

Hoss said:
Shadowrun
588651.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Definitely a cult classic, interestingly I would have thought that I'd have met more people that have played this game. I managed at a couple of different videogame stores for years, in addition to just being a straight up gaming nerd since childhood, and I was always surprised at how many people that like adventure/RPG style games either a) never heard of Shadowrun, or b) just never got a chance to play it. Classic game in my opinion, it really has a lot of prescence and is highly suggested.
Shadowrun fucking rocked.

Populous_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

I hated this game at first but I learned to love it. It's the first game of it's class and started all the god games. Awesome game.

I can't believe I forgot this one.

256px-River_City_Ransom-front.jpg

River_City_Ransom_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

IMO, this is the best game ever made for NES. It's like Double Dragon but with a more RPG feel to it.