Unable to Taper Off of Klonopin Even Going Slowly

fuzzydunlop44

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

Long story short, after abusing Adderall for several months I went to the ER one night in December of 2012 because I thought I was having a stroke or a seizure or something. They told me it was a panic attack and prescribed me Ativan and told me to take 3 pills everyday. The doctor said nothing about how addicting and dangerous it was or any potential risks involved with long term use and I was naive so I took his advice. About three weeks later when my script ran out I remember every muscle in my body hurting and having horrible panic attacks that dwarfed the one that put me on the drug in the first place. However I still didn't get it and attributed it to my "underlying anxiety disorder".

Anyway, since then I was switched to Xanax and ultimately Klonopin which I've been on daily for the better part of three years. Eventually I did a lot of research and learned a lot about the dangers of long term benzo use and the damage it does to GABA receptors and the central nervous system. Unfortunately before learning this I allowed my prescriber to keep upping my dose and taking me on and off of SSRI's and a few mood stabilizers.

I started my own liquid microtaper in February of 2016 at 2.5 mg's and got myself down to 1.5 mg's going slowly however when I got to about 1.75 mg's all of my side effects were amplified to the point that I felt like I couldn't handle it (depersonalization/derealization, panic attacks, insomnia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, depression/ruminating thoughts, light sensitivity, fatigue, weakness, weight loss/loss of appetite) so after conferring with some people on BenzoBuddies and various Facebook groups I updosed to 2, held and eventually reinstated to 2.5. I also saw a new psychiatrist and tried a Valium crossover which failed likely because I was not given the proper equivalent dosage and I was told to substitute and not do a crossover. I switched back to the 2.5 mg's of Klonopin and any time I've tried to begin a taper of liquid again I immediately get slammed physically, emotionally and psychologically. I've also made the dumb mistake of taking 7-8 single 10 mg doses of the leftover Valium because it helps me sleep.

My life has just completely spiraled out of control. I went from not driving, not working, not going out as much to now basically being bed ridden. I'm terrified that I'm going to end up in a psych ward or something even though I know that is the last place I want to find myself. I guess I'm just very sensitive to this medication and I have no idea what to do to proceed. I'm up all night and I sleep all day and when I wake up I'm just legit afraid of facing reality. Any advice from anyone who was/is in a similar situation as me would be appreciated. I've tried talk therapy, CBT, meditation, yoga and everything natural that I can think of but I feel like there is nothing that can be done to make this more bearable. I really regret updosing but I was told that would help me stabilize and I was desperate. I simultaneously feel like a lot of people on the internet who say to taper slowly are going too slow and I don't know how they make it through such a long Hellish process with their sanity intact and others who say they are able to come off in a few weeks which after years of daily use seems straight up dangerous. Thanks.

Last edited:
You need to go slower. I'm currently down from 3-5mgs a day to .25mgs a day after 3 years of use. Every 2 weeks I went down .25mgs to get to this point. The one week I thought I could speed up the process and tried to drop .5 mgs well let's just say it was pure hell. I thought the sleep deprivation alone was going to kill me. After I stopped trying to rush it, I would only have minor symptoms for a few days after each drop. Of course now I'm so anxious and depressed I want to dip into my stash but I haven't yet. Just hang in there!

During my liquid microtaper I went from 2.5 to 1.5 over the course of 8 months which at the time I didn't think was too fast at all. How do you make your cuts, though? Are you just dry cutting using a pill cutter? Because a .25 drop at one time is pretty large for me and I only have 1 mg pills which are difficult to cut that small.

I am also tapering klons... i dont have much advice i am doing the dry cut now i am on 1 mg a day well now .75 somes it feels like too much and i go back to 1mg for a day ...

On the liquid taper does the medicine still stay in our system the same amont of time as swollowing the pill itself