UK - Those killed by PMA are victims of the war on drugs

This piece deserves more attention, it illustrates exactly why a rethink of outmoded drugs law is long overdue & how the law as it stands is doing alot more harm than it is good...

Si Ingwe;11737183 said:
Even if legalisation DID increase usage, that usage would be safer if the drugs concerned were being professionally manufactured.

I've never understood why the powers that be and the media seem to think reducing drug usage (drugs they don't approve of) is something to be achieved at all costs. Even at the cost of human life.

If more people take safer drugs than alcohol and tobacco then how is that bad?

SwampFox56;11736514 said:
I think you're all missing the point.

Even if the war on drugs ends - things like MDMA, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Benzodiazepines, etc will NEVER hit the shelves. Why is this? Because the FDA would NEVER approve them, especially for everyone to use. Frankly, things like that SHOULDN'T be in every drug store. If people want to buy a drug, even one that was made my clandestine chemists, that's their choice. I agree that the government shouldn't interfere with that.

However, if these very addictive drugs became available to everyone - addiction and other issues would rise to heights we've never seen before.

Yes - the war on drugs should end, however, certain drugs shouldn't be readily available at every drug store- that would be exponentially dangerous.

Accessible to everyone .. What.. You mean they're not now? Come on man. Kids can buy drugs because there are no rules and regulations in the criminal world. Send an 11 year old into an off license or pub and I don't think he's walking out of there with anything other than candy.

I don't think it should simply be put on shelves for anyone to buy, no.

Drug education should be taught throughout school.

Once old enough (18) you should then go on a drug education course, covering things in more detail, the dangers, what to do in event of overdose, etc. When you pass the course you are given a license (much like a drivers license) that will enable you to buy a certain amount of drugs in a time period (with a chip and pic type device).

Boom. The criminal underworld that has control of the supply of drugs will lose it's grip. People will stop falling dead from adulterants they didn't even want to take or accidental overdoses caused by fluctuating purity. The average joe on the street will be a lot more clued up on how to deal with different types of overdose. People will be PROPERLY educated on drugs. Money saved and money made would massive.. this could be spend on better healthcare, education, etc and on better, proper treatments for addicts, and better research on drugs. (You know David Nutt can't study psilocybin cos of these dumb ass laws?) And so on. The list is fckin endless.

However, if these very addictive drugs became available to everyone - addiction and other issues would rise to heights we've never seen before.

Wild unfounded speculation.

If someone wants to take drugs, they with do or will.. regardless of the law.

Your one point is a stab in the dark guess at what might happen.. I've given a list of things that would happen.

I get really irritated when people say that legalisation will lead to people taking more drugs and doing crazy, irresponsible things.

This viewpoint seems to always conveniently forget that this war is such a damn failure, that people can already get those drugs, are doing those drugs and the small minority of people that will always do irresponsible things, are already doing those things.

You are brainwashed if you're thinking this way, if this were to happen, society would have already crumbled as I could get any drug I could think of in High School.

SwampFox56;11736514 said:
Even if the war on drugs ends - things like MDMA, Methamphetamine, Heroin, Benzodiazepines, etc will NEVER hit the shelves.

The way I see it, assuming the war on drugs finally ends and the above drugs are decriminalized, legalized and regulated, participating pharmacies will probably have to keep them hidden behind the counter, much like is done now with Tylenol 1 with Codeine.

It may seem like a recipe for disaster (drug legalization), however, these are pure theories based on lab rat anecdotal evidence at best, nothing more.

IMO, it's just like the theories Nixon based his war on drugs on. I recall reading about how he actually expected that by forming a federal drug task force (aka the DEA), and by significantly increasing prison terms for possession and distribution, littering homes with propaganda via the media, and trying to control the flow and distribution of street drugs in America would magically compel Americans to abstain from using. Furthermore, he expected the war on drugs would end (in a win) in no more than 10 years at the most (that worked out well). No I don't have sources atm, but I'll do what I can to change that asap.

ro4eva;11745256 said:
IMO, it's just like the theories Nixon based his war on drugs on. I recall reading about how he actually expected that by forming a federal drug task force (aka the DEA), and by significantly increasing prison terms for possession and distribution, littering homes with propaganda via the media, and trying to control the flow and distribution of street drugs in America would magically compel Americans to abstain from using. Furthermore, he expected the war on drugs would end (in a win) in no more than 10 years at the most (that worked out well). No I don't have sources atm, but I'll do what I can to change that asap.
I don't doubt that he made any of those claims, but I have a very hard time believing that someone who managed to become the president of the USA honestly believed those claims.

I'm pretty impressed that MDMA can actually be utilized in psychotherapy settings for treatment of PTSD in the USA.

crOOk;11745849 said:
I'm pretty impressed that MDMA can actually be utilized in psychotherapy settings for treatment of PTSD in the USA.

Only in clinical trials, which doesn't really count.

Seriously, don't expect the FDA to do the scientifically valid thing when they can do the politically expedient thing.

23536;11746184 said:
Only in clinical trials, which doesn't really count.

I saw a documentary (I think it may have been on the MDMA live thing in the UK with David Nutt?) where a woman in the US was going to an underground therapist who did MDMA therapy.. she was saying it really helped when nothing else did (there was a video of the session).. Does that count as a clinical trial?

rickolasnice;11746261 said:
I saw a documentary (I think it may have been on the MDMA live thing in the UK with David Nutt?) where a woman in the US was going to an underground therapist who did MDMA therapy.. she was saying it really helped when nothing else did (there was a video of the session).. Does that count as a clinical trial?

You know it doesn't.

Here are all the clinical trials involving MDMA:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=mdma&Search=Search

Tenchi;11731033 said:
Education and the provision of safety information would, though.

Being high on drugs impairs judgement. If somebody is high on ecstasy, how can they have enough sense and judgement to decide not to drink too much water?

Elven Warriorr;11776610 said:
Being high on drugs impairs judgement. If somebody is high on ecstasy, how can they have enough sense and judgement to decide not to drink too much water?

lol

lol.. wow.

Edit - Oh wait.. It's you.. The ignorant troll.

Folley;11731052 said:
A small amount of information can be more dangerous than none... which is why we need to regulate these drugs and teach about their dangers in school.

The article did not say the green pill was PMA.

Blame the user... wait I am the user.
Blame the dealer... wait I need the dealer.
Blame the government... right on!

The mystery remains, alcohol kills despite its legal status. The majority of the victims die without a drop of alcohol in their system.
Yet when we see a death from PMA we blame the regulations that made MDMA illegal. When we see a death of someone on MDMA, we separate that person from our world. The use was justified, the user was just being silly. The dealer was unregulated, a pawn, a sign of education and regulation. The government is to blame and the drug is clean, the government dirty.

Don't speak to me about legality increasing use, prove it. It will decrease harm done, prove me wrong. I see you were wrong, once, my faith is blown. Now I am not sure about anything you said. It feels good, so I use it. Ya. If I die find a way to blame the government for me.

Alcohol poisoning and people drinking water. We need someone to blame for this. It can't be as simple as that person's own fault, it has to work out to be someone else.

pmoseman;11789306 said:
Alcohol poisoning and people drinking water. We need someone to blame for this. It can't be as simple as that person's own fault, it has to work out to be someone else.

Let's all draw straws.

Are you wilfully obtuse or are you a bit thick? I've taken MDMA on many, many occasions and I'm still here. Could it be because even though I was on another planet of happy, I still had the common fucking sense to regulate my fluid intake? How can that be?

Idiot.

SwampFox56;11734887 said:
I disagree.

PMA is probably a lot easier to make. If and when the war on drugs ends, Ecstasy pills are still going to be filled with other shitty amphetamines and cathinones like Mephedrone, Buphedrone, Methylone, PMA, 5-APB, 6-APB, etc...

When the drugs are being manufactured by reputable companies, this wouldn't happen.. they'd also be checked by quality control companies and / or government (like medicine)

Lady Codone;11736348 said:
Might sound paranoid, but I always wondered if the government doesn't have a hand in these random PMA poisonings that happen every 10 years or so. They poisoned thousands of people during alcohol prohibition, so I wouldn't put it past them. Then they can say "see, drugs are bad!" while skimming over the true details in the 6 o' clock news.

(I'm referring to the U.S. government, but any government is capable of such atrocities).

What does alcohol prohibition have to do with PMA or ecstasy?

Between 1974 and the mid-1990s, there appear to have been no known fatalities from PMA.[12]
Several deaths reported as MDMA-induced in Australia in the mid-1990s are now considered to have been caused by PMA, the users unaware that they were ingesting PMA and not MDMA as they had intended.[13] There have been a number of PMA-induced deaths around the world since then.[14][15]
In July 2013, seven deaths in Scotland were linked to tablets containing PMA that had been mis-sold as ecstacy and which had the Rolex crown logo on them.

wiki