• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

UK MDMA Research

BristolRob

Bluelighter
I'm a PhD student at the University of Bristol in the UK.

We have recently constructed an online questionnaire intended to find out information on MDMA and other recreational drug use as a preliminary step towards a wider study into the effects of MDMA on the brain.

The web address is: http://www.bris.ac.uk/psychiatry/staff/carhart/index.html

All inputted data is securely stored and sent only to myself. You do not have to give personal information that would implicate your identity. Submission of the questionniare gives you the opportunity to win £50 of CD vouchers, plus participantion in any further research would be rewarded with a direct cash incentive.

Any questions, please reply to this thread and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Many thanks

Robin.

Last edited:
Ill help ya out. Ill probably never see any money though

But hey Im here to share the knowledge

I log all my rolling experiences

So all your "estimate" questions werent estimates. They were accurate on what ive done.

Thanks for your help.

Spooky, like everyone else, you have a chance (if admittedly slim) of winning the CD vouchers but if you came into the lab for further research we would pay you accordingly. It would not be a fortune, but would match the help you provided.

Its not just for UK users but any further research will probably be just UK users, simply because of travel issues.

I'm completing the Questionnaire now, but one thing to note is that it might have been a good idea to include an area where you could enter an estimate of MDMA (crystal) intake in a session, as some people including myself prefer this method to taking pills due to diminishing quality. The amount I take in a session can only be a rough estimate and usually depends on how strong they are.

Last edited:
Thanks again people.

With regards MDMA powder, I would just encourage people to incorporate any powder usage into their pill estimates. I know this isn't ideal but most estimates are quite vague anyway.

Perhaps I could give an example of powder weight to pill ratio. Would anyone have any idea of this? e.g., 1 gram of MDMA powder = rough equivalent of 5 pills? I know this also isnt ideal because of the impurity issue but that is something that is next to impossible to control for.

I've received about 40 replies now in less than 2 days so this is really heartening.

Cheers

Rob.

BristolRob said:
1 gram of MDMA powder = rough equivalent of 5 pills?
In our dreams maybe... (in the sense that pills are 200mg MDMA, not that the 1g of MDMA is ~500mg)

Assuming 1 gram of MDMA powder is probably only about 800mg-900mg and that the average pill is 70mg-90mg, then thats about 10 pills worth in a gram.

bigmac74 said:
In our dreams maybe... (in the sense that pills are 200mg MDMA, not that the 1g of MDMA is ~500mg)

Assuming 1 gram of MDMA powder is probably only about 800mg-900mg and that the average pill is 70mg-90mg, then thats about 10 pills worth in a gram.
yep and here in the states your lucky if you find that (70mg-90mg) in your pill, sometimes its even less. I filled out the survey to help along the study. How long have you been collecting information and what are your intentions with the data that is collected?

BristolRob said:
Thanks again people.

With regards MDMA powder, I would just encourage people to incorporate any powder usage into their pill estimates. I know this isn't ideal but most estimates are quite vague anyway.

Perhaps I could give an example of powder weight to pill ratio. Would anyone have any idea of this? e.g., 1 gram of MDMA powder = rough equivalent of 5 pills? I know this also isnt ideal because of the impurity issue but that is something that is next to impossible to control for.

I've received about 40 replies now in less than 2 days so this is really heartening.

Cheers

Rob.

Yeah I'd agree that you could get about an average of ten pills from a gram of mdma. Rounding up figures a bit though and obviously all guesswork.

same here, im from the states but FEEL free to contact me with any further questsions, i almost want to cease use of the drug and instead study it. i see it as a great recretational drug, but know its got more potention as a tool for people who need it.

but im sure as with most others who take or TRY to take this drug with responsibility and respect, i would like to know if i i am dooming my future.

its too bad that it cannot be studdied because instead of trying to tell people its bad with false information, and making it impossible to obtain TO study, then wtf is the point of banning it people will still use it.

if they were able to proove it does do damage with LOTS of scientific data then there problem would be mostly solved.

I've received about 80 submitted forms now.

The early results are interesting if a little inconsistent but that is to be expected.

To be honest, nothing unusual has popped up so far. I can't reveal the exact nature of the hypothesis at the mo, sorry. I imagine some have guessed anyway, there's nothing particularly complicated about it.

With regards MDMA research interest, your best bet would be to read a review, there's plenty of comprehensive ones out there. Perhaps someone on here could recommend a good one, I've got a load filed away but I'm not in the office at the moment.

The field is quite complicated with many influential variables such as polydrug use etc and the practical difficulties of ascertaining neurotoxicity in humans. I could send you a review of the human scan studies if you like? Outside of indirect measures of the long-term effects of MDMA on the brain such as cognitive testing, behavioral and emotional reports etc, in my mind the scan studies are the best measures we currently have of gauging neurotoxicity but even these have very significant flaws.

i had a question regarding some of the questions on the survey. why did you only ask if we smoke joints instead of weed period? i smoke all the time but only on certain occasions will i smoke a joint. i was just wondering if there was a particular reason for you asking about strictly joints.

The reason why I ask for joint specifically is because its consistent with previous surveys. Like the MDMA pills question, any MDMA powder should just simply be incorporated in lifetime pills as this is what all the surveys before this seem to ask. I need the consistency so that I can have a consistent reference base.

If I was doing a fresh survey unrelated to anything previously done, the questionning would be slightly different perhaps. e.g., if it was a sociological study I would want to know all about bongs, buckets, shotties etc but I just need a rough estimate of how much goes into your lungs.

Cheers.