• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - LSD popular again, expert warns, as inquest hears of Nick Cave's son's acid....

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Telegraph 7:51PM GMT 10 Nov 2015
"LSD popular again, expert warns, as inquest hears of Nick Cave's son's acid-induced clifftop plunge"

Arthur Cave - the teenage son of Australian musician - seen 'staggering' on Brighton cliffs before 60ft fall

EXPERTS have warned of a resurgence in LSD use as an inquest heard that musician Nick Cave’s son fell to his death from a cliff after taking the drug with a friend.

The teenage son of musician Nick Cave fell to his death from a cliff after taking the hallucinogenic drug LSD with a friend, an inquest heard. Arthur Cave, 15, was spotted by motorists stuck in traffic who saw him "staggering" and "zig-zagging" on top of the cliff near Brighton, in East Sussex, after taking the substance - also known as acid. While having "vivid hallucinations", he had clambered over a fence put in place to keep the public away from the 60ft drop and was walking alone across a patch of grass with just a yard of ground ahead of him, a coroner was told. Arthur fell from the cliff between Ovingdean and Rottingdean, breaking both legs as he hit the bottom, suffering brain haemorrhages and catastrophic and unsurvivable skull fractures. The student - who had sent his friends a smiling selfie photograph taken close to the spot from which he fell just hours earlier - was discovered beneath Ovingdean Gap by passers-by, but could not be saved and later died in hospital. During the inquest, clinical scientist Amber Crampton said there was evidence that LSD had seen a resurgence in popularity.

She told the court: "I don't imagine it's too difficult to get hold of in Brighton. It used to be popular in the 60s and 70s. It's more popular now than many people are aware."

Recording a conclusion of accidental death, a coroner on Tuesday accepted that LSD had been ingested by Arthur on the "spur of the moment" and was a "contributory factor" to his fatal fall.

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...before-falling-to-death-at-Ovingdean-Gap.html

So they take a pill which they think contains LSD, which I'm sure as hell it doesn't - it's probably something else, maybe an NBOMe; one of them dies and now "LSD is poplar again"and it "isn't too difficult to get hold of". God, do I love the media. So no blood analysis was done? The way his behaviour is described and the way the other one describes his experience, it hardly seems like LSD, probably an OD on some other (way more dangerous) psychedelic, considering they were young, so probably of less body weight than adults, which resulted in higher relative dosage.

Of course LSD is popular, but good luck finding any real acid. Also, while it's sad that a young life was again taken due to a possible OD, in my honest opinion people that young have no business doing psychedelics. Or drugs at all, for that matter.

Agree....and certainly not for the first time at the top of a cliff! I've never even seen acid in pill form, unless you count microdots. The only pills I've heard of were those various "sunshine" pills in the 60s.

Fuck talk about a horrible way to die. Poor kid.

So they take a pill which they think contains LSD, which I'm sure as hell it doesn't - it's probably something else, maybe an NBOMe; one of them dies and now "LSD is poplar again"and it "isn't too difficult to get hold of". God, do I love the media. So no blood analysis was done? The way his behaviour is described and the way the other one describes his experience, it hardly seems like LSD, probably an OD on some other (way more dangerous) psychedelic, considering they were young, so probably of less body weight than adults, which resulted in higher relative dosage.

Of course LSD is popular, but good luck finding any real acid. Also, while it's sad that a young life was again taken due to a possible OD, in my honest opinion people that young have no business doing psychedelics. Or drugs at all, for that matter.

The coroner determined the cause of death to be from traumatic injuries due to falling from a great height, which sounds likely given the situation. Not an OD.

Poor choice of location for their trip but the majority of people falling off cliffs were probably sober.

The coroner determined the cause of death to be from traumatic injuries due to falling from a great height, which sounds likely given the situation. Not an OD.

Poor choice of location for their trip but the majority of people falling off cliffs were probably sober.

I didn't mean OD in the standard sense, but I doubt they planned to get so ripped that they completely lost their minds. They were hardly prepared for the strong effects.

Reports such as this are heartbreaking and my thoughts are with his family.

I am curious however that no trace of the drug was found in his body. Why might this be?

And I haven't heard of Acid in pill form? (Actually just did a bit more research on Erowid and apparently it can be manufactured as pills.)

In the interests of harm reduction and accuracy of media reporting part of me wonders if they hadn't taken something else.

If of course it was LSD (or anything I guess) the moral of the story is, if you must experiment, and people will, start low and do it in a safer place. And 15 is so, so young - just a child.

What a terrible thing to happen.

Last edited:
How many people die everyday because of alcohol and/or tobacco (or war, toxic fungicides, malnutrition, and so on)? Does anybody care about? No.

LSD popular again? Expert, huh?
When was LSD not popular, after the 60s and 70s?

It's disturbing how every time there is some kind of tragedy in which drugs may have been a factor, these prohibitionist articles need to come out with their half-baked 'warnings'.
It's pretty ghoulish.
Works even better for these people when the poor kid is the son of someone of note who is also known for using drugs.

in light of the current drug market, with many novel psychoactives taking the place of traditional drugs, it seems like there was an assumption made that this was in fact LSD. I know nothing about forensic science or how detectable LSD is in the body of a dead (or living) person - but i imagine that it could be very difficult to confirm the presence of, given the miniscule active dose.
Does anyone know about this?

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty curious about that too and I'd bet in most if not all cases they didn't really confirm the occurrence of LSD. Media coverage as usual.

I would bet my middle nut that they didn't confirm that it was LSD. The article states that the boys thought they took LSD pills, the media needs to hear no more - that is absolutely enough for them to claim that LSD was the devil here and make other absurd claims like they did in this article (that LSD is popular again... when wasn't it? and that it's easy to obtain - good luck with that). I mean what kind of an article would it be if they said that they took "something" or if they said that they took a drug no one has ever heard of or cares about for that matter. It provides a lot more effect if it's something we know - LSD, heroin, coke, MDMA... METH. That shit sells.

Ever notice how "new drugs" are always compared to their very known relatives? a-PVP to meth, LSD or PCP; kratom to heroin. It would sound boring and nobody would buy the shit if an article said that "well, kratom is quite mild and is more like codeine or the sorts... so yeah it's pretty subtle", no that won't work. It has to be "holy mother of god! Kratom is the legal heroin! bla bla bla"