European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

UK First ever drug consumption room - "I'm fucking GOING"

Ismene2

Bluelighter
Pictures reveal inside the UK's first-ever 'drugs consumption room' where addicts can use individual 'shooting' booths to legally inject heroin and take other hard substances.

Glasgow's Integration Joint Board rubber-stamped plans today to open the £2.3million a year Hunter Street Health Centre in the east end of the city.

The pilot facility will see 'drug kits' will be handed out on trays with syringes and cotton wool to heroin users in clean hygienic conditions rather than on the dirty back streets and public places in the city, where they will be able to 'shoot up' under the watchful eye of trained health professionals.

Pharmacists kitted in scrubs, face masks, and rubber gloves will prepare the pharmaceutical grade heroin and measure out dosages before it is taken. While medics use vein finders to assist users.

Pictures reveal inside the UK's first-ever 'drugs consumption room' where addicts can use individual 'shooting' booths to legally inject heroin and take other hard substances.

Glasgow's Integration Joint Board rubber-stamped plans today to open the £2.3million a year Hunter Street Health Centre in the east end of the city.

The pilot facility will see 'drug kits' will be handed out on trays with syringes and cotton wool to heroin users in clean hygienic conditions rather than on the dirty back streets and public places in the city, where they will be able to 'shoot up' under the watchful eye of trained health professionals.

Pharmacists kitted in scrubs, face masks, and rubber gloves will prepare the pharmaceutical grade heroin and measure out dosages before it is taken. While medics use vein finders to assist users.

Yeh, the catch is that only the most treatment resistant individuals may apply - I.e. those junkies that aren't prepared to do a thing to help themselves, yet expect the world to give them a living...

Yeh, the catch is that only the most treatment resistant individuals may apply - I.e. those junkies that aren't prepared to do a thing to help themselves, yet expect the world to give them a living...

That’s one thing that bugs me about rehabilitation systems, they only help you when your inches from death. As always a preventative measure is better when that person may still be a good member of society.

-GC

The Swiss conducted a 10 year experiment and their were huge changes in society. Some common low-level crimes (which had previously been problematic) almost entirely disappeared. The cost to the health service dropped dramatically and the outcomes (survival) of the heroin addicts were hugely improved.

When even right-wing think-tanks like the RAND corporation provide such an analysis (as do multiple journals as well as media outlets across the political spectrum) then I think it's reasonable to suggest that they really have done the homework.

If you look at the prices of medical diamorphine (bearing in mind that those prices are for 5 dry-amps), it's clear that someone spending £50/day on street H can be treated using pharmaceutical diamorphine for a fraction of the price.

Actually, the Dutch used to use bezitramide which is a synthetic opioid. It's very cheap indeed and I am told produces a high much more like H but is orally active and lasts for 12 hours. But, like dextromoramide* (Palfium) the Dutch have switched to methadone with the expected results.

*Although given orally, Palfium is almost unique in producing an IV-like rush when taken orally. I say that but of course I haven't actually IVed H. But I can confirm that Palfium really does produce a rush, especially if you take two or three 'peaches' i.e. 10mg tablets with a cup of tea on an empty stomach. I'm glad I was sitting down when it hit me because the stuff put me on the nod within seconds of first feeling ANY effects.

That’s one thing that bugs me about rehabilitation systems, they only help you when your inches from death. As always a preventative measure is better when that person may still be a good member of society.

-GC
I've used safe injection sites in Germany and they literally saved my life twice.

The gripe I have with them though is to be admitted to the facility you have to be physically dependent. I find that a nonsensical requirement because you're most at risk when you take it up again after a period of abstinence, or only use at intervals, because your tolerance will be that much lower.

I think this is for addicts who have already been unsuccessful with methadone and buprenorphine, but I'm definitely using one if I get the chance.

I've used safe injection sites in Germany and they literally saved my life twice.

The gripe I have with them though is to be admitted to the facility you have to be physically dependent. I find that a nonsensical requirement because you're most at risk when you take it up again after a period of abstinence, or only use at intervals, because your tolerance will be that much lower.

That is why bezitramide was of such utility. It has a large TI and actually allowed people to lead normal lives. It's usage was stopped for political reasons.

The Swiss conducted a 10 year experiment and their were huge changes in society. Some common low-level crimes (which had previously been problematic) almost entirely disappeared. The cost to the health service dropped dramatically and the outcomes (survival) of the heroin addicts were hugely improved.

When even right-wing think-tanks like the RAND corporation provide such an analysis (as do multiple journals as well as media outlets across the political spectrum) then I think it's reasonable to suggest that they really have done the homework.

If you look at the prices of medical diamorphine (bearing in mind that those prices are for 5 dry-amps), it's clear that someone spending £50/day on street H can be treated using pharmaceutical diamorphine for a fraction of the price.

Actually, the Dutch used to use bezitramide which is a synthetic opioid. It's very cheap indeed and I am told produces a high much more like H but is orally active and lasts for 12 hours. But, like dextromoramide* (Palfium) the Dutch have switched to methadone with the expected results.

*Although given orally, Palfium is almost unique in producing an IV-like rush when taken orally. I say that but of course I haven't actually IVed H. But I can confirm that Palfium really does produce a rush, especially if you take two or three 'peaches' i.e. 10mg tablets with a cup of tea on an empty stomach. I'm glad I was sitting down when it hit me because the stuff put me on the nod within seconds of first feeling ANY effects.
I never knew that - i have only injected peaches and dikes with the obv effect, mental rush

I've just swallowed peaches and dikes - the former produces and almost MDMA-like alert and then sudden rush. The latter... I guess it's a pin thing.

You know, their aren't many people who shot Diconal who are alive to talk about it. Mad people would crush up Physeptone and Valoid (methadone and cyclizine) to estimate the Diconal rush... those people were crazy and one by one they died.

So I am REALLY interested to understand why Diconal was such a big thing. I mean, dipipanone (the opiate in dikes) wasn't THAT potent.

I recall even Lifeline wrongly stating that the pills contained silicone... they never did but the myth goes on.

Old but still best drug article ive ever seen in mainstream media: make heroin legal

Old but still best drug article ive ever seen in mainstream media: make heroin legal

'The best' ?...

Makes some good points but is also laden with a ton of customary misconceptions.

I've always thought this would be the most sensible approach. From both the users own health and the governments financial standpoint. Surely it doesn't make sense to give them methadone which then prolongs the addiction to opiates if it's harder to get off apparently.

Tapered doses of pure H would surely be much more successful at giving people a full recovery while also cutting the cost of prescribing something for years on end in many cases.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, their are users who have no intention of stopping. Sadly, it's all too easy for politicians to use that stick to prevent any use of diamorphine in the treatment of heroin dependency. For decades the Dutch aim was to stop people from using pins. Oral Palfium produces a rush similar to IV heroin and so they used that. Bezitramide produces a heroin-like high so they used that.

But in the last few years the Dutch have switched to just offering methadone.

At the end of the day well all know that it's the use of needles that results in the most harm. From overdoses to infections to bloodborne infections.

For decades I've asked why smoking opium isn't simply made legal. Unless you swallow a lump of it (which I would consider intentional overdose since the bioavailability of the alkaloids is higher when smoked), opium doesn't seem to produce the damage seen in injecting H users. From reports, it would appear that people can often get by smoking opium once a day.

IF the poor farmers in Afghanistan, the Shan State and other regions that rely on the opium trade were brought within the law, it would also lower prices and prevent the violence associated with the heroin trade.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, their are users who have no intention of stopping. Sadly, it's all too easy for politicians to use that stick to prevent any use of diamorphine in the treatment of heroin dependency. For decades the Dutch aim was to stop people from using pins. Oral Palfium produces a rush similar to IV heroin and so they used that. Bezitramide produces a heroin-like high so they used that.

But in the last few years the Dutch have switched to just offering methadone.

At the end of the day well all know that it's the use of needles that results in the most harm. From overdoses to infections to bloodborne infections.

For decades I've asked why smoking opium isn't simply made legal. Unless you swallow a lump of it (which I would consider intentional overdose since the bioavailability of the alkaloids is higher when smoked), opium doesn't seem to produce the damage seen in injecting H users. From reports, it would appear that people can often get by smoking opium once a day.

IF the poor farmers in Afghanistan, the Shan State and other regions that rely on the opium trade were brought within the law, it would also lower prices and prevent the violence associated with the heroin trade.
Fucking right. Prohibition has been proven to not work. People like to get off their head, some need to.
I find it especially ridiculous that consuming naturally occurring drugs such as psilocybin, opium and cannabis are unlawful, but so does everyone here so I'll shut up.
Imagine finishing work and being able to wander to an opium den for a couple of hours. Actually I'd like to open one myself.

I think this is for addicts who have already been unsuccessful with methadone and buprenorphine, but I'm definitely using one if I get the chance.
I was honestly a bit confused by the description, because the article mentions that individually measured doses of pharmaceutical-grade heroin will be dispensed , but elsewhere it states users will bring their own drugs to inject.

That sounds like they will be combining a standard safe injection site with ambulant diamorphine 'therapy'. We have both these things in Germany but they're seperate facilities.

I've always found a moral contradiction in the access threshold for either. To use a safe site you MUST be fully dependent. To qualify for diamorphine you MUST have been through at least 2 unsuccessful attempts with a sub such as methadone. You also have to be in pretty bad physical shape.

Don't get me wrong I'm hugely grateful these places even exist, but I find it difficult to reconcile that I could get help there when I'd drugged myself into the gutter and ruined my health, but not before reaching that point, and not now. Like what if I don't WANT to stop, but I DO want to be safe -? I can rely on those services as long as I'm totally reckless with my life, but if I am trying to be a responsible user with a reduced consumption rate then I can just to back to potentially risking my life every time I shoot up -? ... That doesn't track to me.

Last edited: