• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK: Cocaine use triples as Ecstasy loses its appeal

peaked said:
Here in Australia you can expect to pay $300-400 for a gram of coke, even more if its good quality. Needless to say, its high price and dubious purity keeps most people away from it here. E's and meth are far more popular.

wow that is pricey... a gram coke here costs from £30 to £40... but meth is not a drug for england... yet?

Koosh said:
wow that is pricey... a gram coke here costs from £30 to £40... but meth is not a drug for england... yet?

That you know of :p

the rave scene? Dying? Not in england - Drum and bass is increasingly popular, raves are selling out all the time.

Cocaine purer and cheaper for U.S. users despite efforts
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published April 28, 2007

BOGOTA, Colombia - Cocaine prices in the United States have dropped and the drug's purity has increased, despite years of effort and nearly $5-billion spent by the U.S. government to combat Colombia's drug industry, the White House drug czar acknowledged in a letter to a key senator.

The drug czar, John Walters, wrote Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, that retail cocaine prices fell by 11 percent from February 2005 to October 2006, to about $135 per gram of pure cocaine - hovering near the same levels since the early 1990s. In 1981, when the U.S. government began collecting data, a gram of pure cocaine fetched $600.

The purity of this cocaine, meanwhile, has "trended somewhat toward former levels, " as well, Walters said in the letter, citing data from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Colombia supplies 90 percent of the cocaine consumed in the United States. Declining prices and rising purity could also suggest weakening demand, but several household and school-based surveys show that America's cocaine consumption has barely budged since 2000, and demand in Europe has increased.

Colombia's president, Alvaro Uribe, is set to meet with President Bush at the White House on Wednesday to discuss U.S. support for Plan Colombia, the anti-narcotics and counterinsurgency program that has cost American taxpayers billions since 2000.

U.S. officials have insisted repeatedly that Plan Colombia is reducing the quality and availability of cocaine to American users.

But Grassley, in an e-mailed statement to the AP, said the new data is "all the proof that anybody needs" that the White House drug office "has gotten quite good at spinning the numbers, but cooking the books doesn't help our efforts to curb cocaine and heroin production and consumption."

Rafael Lemaitre, a spokesman for the White House Office described the letter as "an accurate reflection of our agency's thoughts on the issue."

[Last modified April 28, 2007, 01:24:45]

The only reason people are losing interest in mdma isn't because of the quality. It's because it's just so damn cheap, when you can get 3 lil n's for the same price as 2 pints....people overindulge. Lose the magic, and move onto something else.

Now coke, this'll keep you fucked up as long as you keep putting it up your nose.

Again - drug warnings and knowledge will prevent things like this from happening.

I've never taken more than 1 pill at a time.... usually starting with 1/2, and then, only about 1/2 the time taking the other half.

People that pop one an hour till the night's over thinking they'll work like caffeine pills......
People that take 5 to start off with....

They weren't meant to take E... or didn't have the proper knowledge beforehand.

Legalization and labeling...
That's all it'd take...
And E is SO much better/safer/less violent than coke.

fastandbulbous said:
Explains the fact that I seem to be bumping into many more arseholes than I used to; very few people remain likeable after a good night of cocaine abuse. Generally by that point they've become loud, arrogant and generally a pain in the arse (I include myself in that as well - which is why I don't have anything to do with it these days)

lol i was thinking the same thing.

This is gonna fuck up the dance music scene. With ecstasy people want to have fun, dance and are full of love. on cocaine they get rude, arrogant and snobby. so coke alone can ruin the vibe for going out to party :|

absent minded said:
who the fuck does coke at a rave lol? but raving is dying and has been for years dude. you cant deny that.

You live in the wrong place maaan!

yellodolphin said:
lol i was thinking the same thing.

This is gonna fuck up the dance music scene. With ecstasy people want to have fun, dance and are full of love. on cocaine they get rude, arrogant and snobby. so coke alone can ruin the vibe for going out to party :|

That could be the problem with the scene...

It's notably less colorful...
85% of the people there wear black or dark clothing now...

And less than 10% have flashing lights or glowsticks...

The entire vibe has gone from... fun, lighthearted, talk about anything, and just enjoy yourself atmosphere to one of...

"Why am I here? This is vaguely uncomfortable..."
And trying to talk to someone gets you looked at funny and then they walk away with their little cliquish group...

We've gone from 3-4 GOOD parties a month to less than 1... in the last year alone.

It's sad :(

Sorry, MDMA kicks the shit out of coke, no matter what some journalist says. Is the scene really dying in the UK? I thought it was pretty huge, with everyone twisted on pills or MD.

Oh, and arent these people smart enough to realize they will NEVER stop the drug trade? What the fuck is their intention?

The thing in the UK is pills are so easy to find everybody abuses them. Nobodys got the magic anymore. Coke is the next best thing.

FractalStructure said:
Oh, and arent these people smart enough to realize they will NEVER stop the drug trade? What the fuck is their intention?

No... they don't.

Or they do, but they profit from the drug war and don't want it to end for financial reasons.

Either way, the forces pushing for the end to prohibition are much weaker than those pushing to keep the laws...

My favorite example of stupidity is the opium trade in Afghanistan.
We're smothering it... while trying to create a national economy that is strong.

Our efforts are obliterating what could be the country's most profitable export, while encouraging the farmers to produce crops that yield less than 1/2 the profit of poppies.

The US govt. is twacked.
And no, there doesn't seem to be an end in sight.
(Well... relatively. Ron Paul is a possibility... but if we're considering him getting elected a possibility, we're crazy...)