• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Uh Oh...I Fell in Love w/ DXM...Advice Needed on Pitfalls, Dangers, Contraindications

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
Hi all, so I was on smack for about two years. I detoxed myself at home privately (had stockpiled all the implements to surf it like a wave and saw it to completion). When PAWS began and I was hit by my pre-existing depression HARD, I began dosing ~0.25mg bupe per day as an antidepressant, which I've reported numerous times works wonderfully for that function. The black cloud has very much dispersed %)

Anyways. As part of my detox, I was using alprazolam to help me sleep on sleepless nights. As I'm sure you can imagine, my tolerance sky-rocketed. When I had to take 6mg to get the full effect, I knew I had stepped pretty deeply into vile territory. I've been tapering down and trying to skip days as much as possible, because I don't want to have to detox off a benzo. Sounds like hell. It's already given me some insomnia (could be placebo, could be stress, but could also be the fact that I've been taking xanax almost daily for the last 6 months, beginning at 0.5mg for the "full effect", ending at the above mentioned dose for the same effect). I intend on discontinuing alprazolam completely, and just locking it in my stockpile for practical use (such as a stimulant or psychedelic come-down).

I recently picked up some DXM Hbr (no other actives, it was the pure store-brand 'tussin' cough suppressant syrup with only DXM as the active chemical), and dosed ~120mgs. I fucking loved it. The "first plateau", which I assume I barely breached, felt something like xanax or GHB, or a mix of both, with some kind of special difference I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not sure if that's how others experience it. It did not feel at all like a psychedelic. At T-40 minutes I had double vision like a good dose of H would produce, along with the anxiolysis and easy sleep that xanax provides. I also like the flavor and the feeling of having it in my belly. I'm sure that's weird. As an aside, I have weird favorite scents, like gasoline and petrichor (the first scent released by soil when rainfall occurs).

I expect to switch to DXM as my doc. I'm not intending to use it daily. What I'm thinking is anytime I crave H, I'll take a 1st-plateau dose of DXM instead. I actually have no interest in breaching the above "plateaus". Maybe sometime in the future just to say I've done it, but 1st-plateau doses are all I'm interested in at the moment.

However, I don't know much about DXM other than what I've read on Wikipedia and random posts on BL. I already UTFSE'd and came along some good info, but my knowledge on this substance is still like swiss cheese - full of holes. My specific questions are:

1. What chemicals are counter-indicated and should NEVER be mixed with DXM? I read, for instance, that mixing with SSRI's can cause terminal serotonin syndrome. I'm not on any SSRI's. The only chemicals in my blood plasma are high levels of THC and a constant presence of small trace amounts of norbuprenorphine.

2. Is the presence of buprenorphine in my system going to cause any trouble, or will the DXM just potentiate it, or vice-versa (I've read for years that ppl use DXM to potentiate their opioid highs)? Buprenorphine does not get me high, fyi (at least not at the dose I take). It just keeps my depression (and probably it's own discontinuation syndrome by now) in check. I also keep a close eye on my cognitive hygiene as an adjunct. One day soon I'll make a liquid solution with which I can volumetrically calculate a microgram-range taper and get off the bupe.

3. If you have a specific negative experience with DXM (such as a discontinuation syndrome, precipitated psychosis, etc), please share that with me. I want to avoid any pitfalls.

4. How does tolerance work w/ DXM? For instance, if I take LSD today and trip hard, tomorrow the same dose will barely make me trip, or for instance the drastic escalation of tolerance that occurs with opioids. Any of that w/ DXM?

TL;DR - I want to use DXM recreationally once in a while. I liked my first trip, it was fun, light, somnolent, and overall a good experience. It's cheap, easily obtained, and seems safe. Keep me out of trouble, my BL friends.

Thanks for replies.

I think MAOIs are the worst of the interactions with 120mg DXM. SSRIs, TCA, SNRIs would most likely be ok but if you can avoid them I would. Basically anything that messes with serotonin but specifically reuptake inhbitors. Buproprion may increase the risk of seizures with DXM but again, doubtful at 120mg.

You will read that opioids, benzos, even sedating antihistamines may increase the risk for CNS depression with it. I doubt this very much but those drugs may not be scheduled frequency type things if you are prescribed them. They even make DXM with antihistamines in some products.

As far as tolerance, and this is completely my experience only, even a week usually meant I had to dose higher and still get less effects. Id stay every 2 weeks may do it, but once monthly is better. I also find a full stomach massively reduces the experience.

But lower doses like you are planning are pretty mild. If you do decide to go up, it can be quite unpleasant on the body. I always felt tingly and jittery at the tail end of DXM when I went above 500mg or so. Maybe even a bit less.

Thanks Kit, I appreciate your advice and insight!

I did notice a marked reduction of effects when I redosed the same amount earlier this morning.

2 weeks it is, then.

I have some experience with it (I've been using it for about once a week for along time) and I haven't noticed a tolerance with it. Although if you use it several times a week you will notice a tolerance. If you continue using DXM you will have nausea/throw up every couple of trips, which isn't that bad. I have also noticed symptons of hppd after using it alot. Which hasn't effected me negatively, but just to let you know.

It is the drug I have done the longest and it is a beautiful drug to be on.

Hmmmm...HPPD huh?

I don't think I'd mind permanent tracers, etc. I'm sure it can be very unpleasant for some but I'm glad to hear it doesn't negatively affect you.

Were you using very high doses, ID? If so, how much? How long did it take for the HPPD to kick in/become noticeable?

I'd usually do 500mg and it kicked in about 2-3 months. Hppd reduces with time. With DXM being a dissociative you don't really care about hppd since you are so far out :)

DXM does not act on the opioid receptor it uses a different one (NMDA), so the bupe won't interfere with it. Other than SSRIs and MAOI's I would avoid tramadol and Remeron. All of those have some serotonin activity. I did a first plateau a few times at about 150 mg. It was ok, I guess, didn't find it as thrilling as opioids.

Cool, yeah, I have no interest in Tramadol or Remeron or their related drugs. There's no reason why I'd ever take anything that messes with my serotonin. I only expect to be smoking weed and taking my buprenorphine mini-doses.

I might drink once in a while when out with friends, but I never actually get drunk. More like just have a couple beers.

I have a feeling the 120mg dose I first took was such a joyride because it was the first time I ever used DXM, and now my NMDA "cherry" has been "popped". Just like most other drugs, I'm expecting subsequent doses to not produce the same effect, having to increase my dosage for the same effects.

We'll see what happens next time. Maybe I'll take ~200mgs. I'll report back when that bridge is crossed. In the meantime, I don't really crave H too badly (I mean, I'd smoke some if I had it, but I'm not going to pick up the phone and drive to get any) and am pretty busy with work stuff.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Anytime I've taken Tramadol I haven't felt a damn thing (both while naive and with a high tolerance, at multiple dose levels, redosing, etc). Never felt a thing. So, that rules out Tramadol use. I remember I took 15mg mirtazapine once, to try out its reported sedating effects (this was a few months ago while I was still settling into my H sobriety). All it did was give me chills, so that rules out Remeron.

Last edited:
Im not suggesting you do it, but higher is good while it is happening. My max was 1005mg but the strongest trip was at 750mg. Obviously thats too much for a beginner but find where you are comfortable with when ready and go for it. The afterglow/comedown sucks but worth it too me. Apparently bodyweight makes a difference and 10-15mg/kg is a decent reference point for dosing although the "plateau" levels are arbitrary.

If I took 10mg/kg, if my math is right, I'd be at 770mg of DXM. That sounds way too high, since next time will only be my third time dosing it and I'm just trying to get that same buzz I had the first time.

I'll try ~200mgs and report back.

Yeah thats high. Work your way up like I said. DXM gets a bad rep but its useful like anything else. I had to stop because it was giving me some bady tachycardia but always enjoyed. Tough physically for me, much more than mental although I do find high enough doses dark. But I like that.

I took it once. Don't remember the amount but it was pills and it seems like it was 20 pills or a whole box. I was half drunk and following the advice of a friend. He had done it a lot previously but me and his girlfriend had never taken it. They both threw up but I kept it down.

We all experienced heavy sedation but not a sleepy feeling. Also had decent hallucination and super heavy tracers. A moving light would leave a trail for many seconds and a spinning glow stick/raver dancing (not meant as an insult but don't know how else to describe) left a constant trail until there was just a blur of trails.

Pretty intense for a first time. There was also a aphrodisiac effect. If things had worked it would have gotten weird, quick.

spent a few years on the stuff - via Robitussin DX - 600mg DXM per bottle (if I remember correctly) - ended up sitting at home alone drinking a bottle a day.

ended up like that 'psychedelic life cycle' where you follow each concept to the next until you come full circle - then one day I actually came full circle and, yeah, shit hit the fan.

I just overdid it. Enjoy - be smarter than I was.

edit: no alcohol, you won't want any nicotine, herb is amazing, nitrousoxide is a fucking orgasam, don't mix with SSRI's - anti depressants/tramadol etc etc.

That's weird that it put you in tach.

And like you, I probably won't mind feeling janky after. It's kind of weird, and while a big part of me feared it, there was a part of me that enjoyed opioid w/d. It was like paying off a debt, or part of an understanding of balances (wanna be high? You can't cheat nature, you'll have to be low a while after).

Thx Customs & Crack'r. Yeah I won't be taking that high a dose or doing it too often.

Thanks, yo.

Yeah, its strange the tachycardia but my resting HR is high to begin with. It doesnt usually bother me, even stims I do ok with, but DXM always did after I stopped seeing the devil in my head. :)

I agree, we take the effects good and bad with everything. Its part of the game of drugs and life and made peace with it a long time ago.

A side note. I was pretty whacked in the head for about a week after. Depressed I guess you would call it or at least felt weird. I tried to chase it out with exercise but didn't help.

Even my best friend noticed after a minute talking to me and made me tell him what was up.

I used to take it all the time.

My doses were pretty big and I did it with some chick I was dating. This is so long ago I can barely remember, like ten years.

Anyways yeah I remember taking alot and we had sex and I guess we both zoned out and 6 hours later we are just covered in sweat and fluids to the point where the bed was just nasty. Just saying we just went into autopilot and kept going.

You definitely want to not drive after doing that shit. Its not really illegal but it impairs motor and speech function to say the least.

I used it at times to deal with opiate wds and I haven't had a bad trip but still don't reccomend it. I have never had a bad trip on anything which is really rare.

There are better hallucinogens. I sometimes take like a regular dose like 2 capsules for pain or if I just feel like shit but that is a bit different. If otc medications make you feel better I say fuck it, Ima take them.

Consquences, there are some. Google it. There are way worse drugs but still I do remember that shit kinda has an eraserhead effect.