U.S. v. Kalash - Drug Law Constitutionality and Other Unconventional Defenses

bingalpaws said:
Isn't there a difference between a regulation of an item's commerce, and a strict prohibition of an item's commerce?

Yes.
Strict prohibition of an item's commerce is a crime.
;)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18usc_sec_18_00001951----000-.html

§ 1951. Interference with commerce by threats or violence

(a) Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery or extortion or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan or purpose to do anything in violation of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

I see no statutory exemption for Congress operating under the Commerce clause......

You're really stretching here. It's quite obvious that congress' prohibition of certain commerce is not illegal under the above quoted section.

That pertains only to unlawful threats or violence.

As Congress' prohibition of drug commerce is done through legislation, it is thus lawful.

The only issue is whether that prohibition is within the scope of the interstate commerce clause.

Considering that the supreme court ruled that the federal government had the right to control intrastate commerce of a product with national demand (a horrible judgement, I admit- but so far it is still precedent) the CSA- with regards to sale of scheduled substances- is certainly not illegal.

This is what you were charged with, and thus what you have standing to challenge.

You can't challenge the constitutionality of the CSA to restrict personal possession where you haven't been charged with simple possession.

You can only argue that it's unconstitutional for the to restrict your ability to sell your product. Under current precedent, you've already lost.

Ham-milton said:
That pertains only to unlawful threats or violence.

As Congress' prohibition of drug commerce is done through legislation, it is thus lawful.

I just want to be a pain here...

Congressional enactments are not "due process of law" - they cannot grant anyone the ability to commit any crime.
If it is unlawful to threaten violence or force in an attempt to stop interstate commerce, Congress cannot authorize such force through mere legislation - as that is granting one group (law enforcement) the ability to commit crimes (violation's of others' rights through coercion and violence.)

Any law proclaiming to create the RIGHT to commit crimes against the citizenry deprives the citizenry of their rights without due process (in this case, property rights; possession and distribution - usage and sales in any existing market) in violation of the 5th amendment making the law itself Unconstitutional, void ab initio, and any use of force claiming authority from such a law is not only in violation of section 1958 - as cited, but also Title 18 Chapter 13 Section 242 - Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law.

Property rights include rights of sale - the commerce clause cannot exceed the 5th Amendment.
The necessary and proper clause cannot exceed the 5th amendment.

So... case law to the contrary - generalized rulings on the scope of the commerce clause not challenged directly by one's property rights - doesn't scare me that much.
The court ruled that it is "hesitant to recognize any property right not subject to governmental control."

The court is incorrect here.
Blatantly.

"If there be any conflict between these two provisions, the one found in the Amendments must control, under the well-understood rule that the last expression of the will of the lawmaker prevails over an earlier one." Schick vs United States [(1904) 195 US 65, 49 L.Ed. 99, 24 S. Ct. 826

I keep coming back to that... I know >_<
That establishes that rights ARE above governments ability to control.
Legislative acts are not due process...
The court conceded there though... It just doesn't recognize my right to control my property. The court ignores my ownership rights in an attempt to deprive me of my property rights.

The court will have to rule that Congress may strip any citizen of his property rights through any act of legislation - rendering the citizenry to mere slaves of Congressional will - and that Congress is beyond any limitations of the Constitution (which they may well do...)
Or they will have to rule in my favor (or just dismiss the case without ruling so they don't set a dangerous precedent...)

That was supposed to be a short answer >_<
Thoughts?

Quick note - Possession with intent to distribute...
Conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute...

The "crime" is the possession (right of ownership) with the intent to distribute (mindset, apparently the only requirement for a "crime" according to the judge - just a mindset established within the law - but still very much a right of ownership).

The law clearly prohibits the exercise of one's rights of property ownership; control of one's private property for personal use or trade.

You are correct - I do not directly have standing to raise arguments against mere possession - but I fail to see the difference between possession with intent to use and possession with intent to distribute.
Both are fundamental rights of property ownership; rights that have not been taken through any due process.

A deeper reading of the statute...

(a) Whoever in any way or degree obstructs, delays, or affects commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce, by robbery (must be unlawful per part B) or extortion (Part C says, "Color of official right" - this would pertain to the drug laws. No official "right" to control one's private property exists - drugs are generally not taken through extortion though.) or attempts or conspires so to do, or commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property (NO LAWFUL REQUIREMENTS)in furtherance of a plan (The CSA is a plan to obstruct, delay, and affect commerce by stopping the movement of certain articles and commodities in commerce) or purpose to do anything in violation of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

So - "commits or threatens physical violence to any person or property in furtherance of a plan" does, indeed, show any action of any law enforcement agent operating under the CSA to delay, obstruct, or bring commerce of any commodity outlined within the CSA to a halt is in violation of this section of the U.S. code.

Any officer arresting anyone is threatening physical violence to the person they are arresting.
They are threatening this person in order to "stop" - both delay and obstruct - commerce in the items possessed by the person.

There is a list of statutory exclusions from this section - and the drug laws are not part of that exclusion.

Congress cannot permit anyone to commit "crimes."
The CSA is, again, unconstitutionally invalid as it deprives the people of their rights and forces violations of the people's rights (crimes) to be committed in every instance of its enforcement.

Conditional plea offered.
http://mike.revolutioni.st/docs/conditional-plea.pdf

Quick summary - Offense level 25 = 57-71 months.
http://www.miami-criminal-lawyer.net/federal-sentencing-guidelines/2007guid/5a.html

That's the plea offer.
The 5k1.1 is not promised - could be a further reduction in sentencing level (down from 25 to whatever the 5k1.1 requests - 2-3 levels, most likely, max potential of 5 (resulting in offense level 20), and that is very unlikely.)

I retain the right to appeal the court's decision - everything raised thus far in my motions is fair game for appeal.
I was working on a motion that can/will be converted into the appeal... thing.
It's here; http://mike.revolutioni.st/docs/10001.html
It's rough - i.e. it's missing a table of authorities, the table of contents isn't right, etc...

It says everything I want it to say though (in the introduction - I need to flush out some of my arguments) (and I can attack the lower court now what I'm in a different court - without the same kind of consequences of actually filing that like I had intended.)

The level 25 is from the 2 level reduction in sentence due to acceptance of responsibility, and 1 level for safety valve (victimless crime).
The actual offense level is 28 (what I'd be looking at if I went to trial) which is 79-97 months.

I do not yet know if the appeal process would take place in or out of prison, though it would take place after sentencing.
I can request a stay of execution - I do not know if it will be granted or not (my assumption - waiting on official word on my ability to make the request.)

Thanks Fausty.
I'm clueless on sentencing and stuff.

That book sounds good.
PSR/PSI - probably out of the question.
I've been clean the whole year+ I've been out - and never reported a drug problem.

It'd be tough to prove I have one at this point.
My pre-trial release officer commented on that already.

The only thing that could really work here is the appeal - and the likelihood of success on that? Eh.

At least I get to make the arguments. ;)

How liberal is the 9th circuit these days? :blink >_<

Fausty said:
I do know of cases where the prosecutor recommended 5-6 years and the judge gave 25 years (that was the infamous "maximum" John Wood who was eventually assassinated)

I looked that guy up. Seems like he got what he deserved. --easy, lad. The sentiment is perfectly understandable, but it's best not to verbalize how you would have handled it on a public forum. Thanks for your understanding. --tobala

dtugg said:
I looked that guy up. Seems like he got what he deserved. --easy, lad. The sentiment is perfectly understandable, but it's best not to verbalize how you would have handled it on a public forum. Thanks for your understanding. --tobala

The whole story is told in a rather intense book, Dirty Dealing. The book was recommended to me by a fellow prisoner who had done time with the assassin himself and he told me the book pretty much got the story dead to rights. And it didn't disappoint - scary stuff on all levels. 8o

Peace,

Fausty

Fausty said:
The whole story is told in a rather intense book, Dirty Dealing. The book was recommended to me by a fellow prisoner who had done time with the assassin himself and he told me the book pretty much got the story dead to rights. And it didn't disappoint - scary stuff on all levels. 8o

Peace,

Fausty

Thanks! I ordered the book from Amazon. Seems very interesting. Wierd piece of trivia for anyone else reading the thread: The assasin was Woody Harrelson's father.

Kalash said:
Thanks Fausty.
I'm clueless on sentencing and stuff.

That book sounds good.
PSR/PSI - probably out of the question.
I've been clean the whole year+ I've been out - and never reported a drug problem.

You don't do your PSR (Pre-Sentencing Report) until after you've plead guilty or been convicted so you haven't done one yet. To get into RDAP, you just need to say a problem with drug use was involved in your crime - that's all. That one sentence will save you a year in prison.

If you don't want to bother with that sort of stuff, and a year of needless extra time in prison doesn't matter to you, then ignore it. Lots of guys do - and then they are crying a river, years later, when others are getting their RDAP time off and those who didn't bother with that one sentence are now looking at 365 more wakeups, 365 more standup afternoon counts (at least), 365 more days without freedom.

Personally, I did the research and had the sentence added (I said I was drinking alot while smuggling - that was my "drug use" - and that was that), qualified for RDAP as a result, and shaved off about 8 months of time inside. I'd say that one sentence was worth eight months of freedom, but maybe that's just me.

It's your call.

Peace,

Fausty

Fausty said:
You don't do your PSR (Pre-Sentencing Report) until after you've plead guilty or been convicted so you haven't done one yet. To get into RDAP, you just need to say a problem with drug use was involved in your crime - that's all. That one sentence will save you a year in prison.

If you don't want to bother with that sort of stuff, and a year of needless extra time in prison doesn't matter to you, then ignore it. Lots of guys do - and then they are crying a river, years later, when others are getting their RDAP time off and those who didn't bother with that one sentence are now looking at 365 more wakeups, 365 more standup afternoon counts (at least), 365 more days without freedom.

Personally, I did the research and had the sentence added (I said I was drinking alot while smuggling - that was my "drug use" - and that was that), qualified for RDAP as a result, and shaved off about 8 months of time inside. I'd say that one sentence was worth eight months of freedom, but maybe that's just me.

It's your call.

Peace,

Fausty

It won't hurt to try.
RDAP is what I meant when I said PSR >_<

My pretrial release officer said that a few dirty tests before trial wouldn't make me eligible for the drug program - that the requirements are pretty hard to meet - and a drug abuse problem must be obvious.

I'll see if I can get her to toss that into the report.

Right now I'm debating on the plea.
While it does, to an extent, do what I want it to do, to me, pleading guilty undermines my entire defense.

If I enter a guilty plea, to me, it is both an acceptance of the actions (which I do not challenge) and the law (which I do challenge, and do not believe is valid law.)

I want some kind of a special plea - where I admit to the actions but do not accept that the actions are criminal.
This, in my mind, would be a demurrer plea...
Though it would be an advanced demurrer accepting that the initial round of challenging the law had been in favor of the prosecution... permitting the court to proceed with sentencing, and allowing me to remain on bail during the appeal (which will, by its nature, need to be done nearly entirely on my own).

I want to re-word a few things in the plea.
Other than that... eh.
It might still be too much for me.

Waive everything - every last right that you have - in order to save the court and the prosecutor a little bit of time, and gain a year, because we're assuming you're going to fail.

For 1 year, it's hard for me to choose to voluntarily waive all my rights.
The plea - which offers nothing (if you read it closely) of substance (the prosecutor agrees to recommend a 3 level reduction of the offense level, which is based upon the sentencing guidelines which are advisory - not mandatory, and completely subject to the whims and desires of the judge - there is no binding agreement upon the judge nor any other party - only myself and the prosecutor), seems to be a horrible idea - something only an illiterate or a fool would sign.

The best summary I can come up with is this;
"Waive all your rights, accept a minimum sentence at offense level 25 (5 yearsish), and in return, we'll recommend you get that 5 years to the court...
But the court doesn't have to listen to us, and you can't complain if the court doesn't do what we agree to in the plea agreement."

I can't even call it a plea bargain - as 1 year isn't a bargain for a victimless crime.
The whole purpose of prison is to keep people who pose a threat to others away from society...
And the court (and prosecutor) both allege that I've done no harm, and that it doesn't matter if I harmed anyone or not - I still need forcibly removed from society (at a cost of $85-90,000 per year).

The whole concept is insane.
Completely.
And while I'll be the first to admit I'm off my rocker, the position of the court and prosecution is so ludicrous to me that I don't know if I can consent to any of it.

Kalash said:
...I still need forcibly removed from society (at a cost of $85-90,000 per year)...
What are they going to be feeding you--lobster tails?! ;)

Sign me up!

Kalash, is there any chance that you can make a no-contest plea? That way you wouldn't have to acknowledge any kind of guilt. Im not too familiar with federal laws so I don't know if they even allow this kind of plea, but they might.

^
no contest is virtually the same as guilty. it is something that celebrities use to make a plea sound less bad.

Banquo said:
^
no contest is virtually the same as guilty. it is something that celebrities use to make a plea sound less bad.

They are the same in terms of punishment. But it differs in the fact that you don't have to acknowlede anything except for the fact that the case against you is stong enough that you would be likley found guilty at trial. Every criminal case that I've be party to has had this option as a plea so it's not something just for celebrities. Those cases were on state level and not close to as serious as Kalash's so I have no idea whether it's even possible which is why I asked.

Supposedly a no contest plea (aka "nolo contendere") can assist a defendant when the circumstances would lead not only to criminal charges but to a civil suit afterward. By the defendant's not admitting guilt, the plaintiff would not be able to ride on that admission's coattails and would have to prove up his/her civil case in order to win. But I don't know if it works that way in practice.

Johnny1 said:
Supposedly a no contest plea (aka "nolo contendere") can assist a defendant when the circumstances would lead not only to criminal charges but to a civil suit afterward. By the defendant's not admitting guilt, the plaintiff would not be able to ride on that admission's coattails and would have to prove up his/her civil case in order to win. But I don't know if it works that way in practice.

That's pretty much the sum of it.
The civil case would be won immediately with a guilty plea/verdict, but a no-contest plea would force the civil prosecutor to prove the case beyond that reasonable doubt thing.
A no-contest plea wouldn't do me any good - as there is no allegation of harm/injury/loss by which a civil case could be filed (no party with standing).
It's funny that a criminal case has lower standards for filing and prosecuting than a civil case.
I still don't believe that's quite right.

My attorney has been going back and forth with me.
There are a couple things I want changed - and he's telling me that isn't up to me - or him... The prosecutor can permit the changes, or deny them, and the 5PM deadline tomorrow stands, requests granted, acknowledged, or not.

I hate being handicapped by a middleman.
It's driving me nuts. :!
> >> There is no such thing as a demurer in federal court. If you don't sign
> >> the plea agreement the only way for you to preserve your right to challenge
> >> the statute is to go to trial -- which would cost you your acceptance of
> >> responsibility credit and result in substantially more prison time.
> >>
> >> This conditional plea is what you said you wanted. I'm not sure what it is
> >> that is causing you to change your mind. This allows you to challenge the
> >> legality and constitutionality of the statute without going to trial. It is
> >> the only way to do that. You are expressly asserting that you believe the
> >> statute is illegal. By retaining your right to appeal the conviction.
> >>

> > I will not be arguing jury nullification. I'm confused by your desire today
> > to have a jury trial. You previously repeatedly told me you don't want a
> > trial. I can't tell you how much prison time it will cost you to go to
> > trial, but it will not be insubstantial. What I can tell you is that the
> > plea deal gives you what you said you wanted -- the ability to argue the law
> > is unconstitutional.

> You're right.
> I'm just not being reasonable today.
> I'll blame it on stress/nerves.
>
> Let me read through it again.
> I really don't like the statement they have me making/signing. I'd want to
> reword it, if that's possible... not to change the underlying meaning, but
> change the tone a little.
>
> I'm also not 100% comfortable with the waiver of collateral attack. If the
> only thing I can appeal is the dismissal of the indictment, that may not be
> sufficient - as it doesn't argue directly to the laws themselves, only the
> creation of the indictment.
> I'm afraid the appellate court will read that too narrowly precluding any
> substantive motion for appeal.
> I'd like that section expanded a bit - to include any issues raised in my
> motion and responses... not just "to dismiss the indictment"
>
> I also don't like the waiver of any post-conviction attacks on the sentence;
> presuming that the laws are overturned in the future (and I fail in my
> attempt), I don't want that ability to be waived.
>
> Are these small changes possible? The post-conviction attack can be
> stipulated to be predicated by drastic changes in the laws or sentencing
> structures - not just removed completely.

I understand.

Most of the language is standard for the US Attorney's Office. Although the office changes the standard language from time to time (and that happens with the appeal/collateral attack waivers), for most of the terms we do not get to change the language. I can request changes, but if the prosecutor says no, we still have our deadline of 5 pm tomorow.

I don't think it's anything unreasonable. It's supposed to be an agreement... not a, "Sign this or else..."
;)

As for a proposed statement I'd be willing to sign;

I have read this Agreement carefully and in its entirety. I
have had enough time to consider it. I have thoroughly discussed
every part of it with my attorney. I understand and hereby
accept all of the terms of this Agreement.
No promises, inducements, or representations of any kind
have been made to me other than those contained in this
Agreement. No one has threatened or forced me in any way to
enter into this Agreement.
I am agreeing to accept a guilty plea because
I do not contend any of the allegations in the indictment,
not for any other reason.
I have had enough time to talk with my attorney about the
evidence against me. My attorney has advised me of my rights, of
possible defenses, of the applicable Sentencing Guidelines, and
of the consequences of entering into this Agreement. I am
satisfied with my attorney's representation of me in this case.
I understand the consequences of pleading guilty. Among
other things, I understand that, if I plead guilty in Court in
accordance with this Agreement, there will be no trial, the
government will be relieved of its burden of proving the facts of this case,
and there will be nothing left for the Court to do but sentence
me. There will be no trial because I will be convicted based on
my own admission of my actions.

tobala said:
What are they going to be feeding you--lobster tails?! ;)

Sign me up!

No - I'm sure most of that is administrative overhead...
It's the federal government we're talking about.

State prison costs per person are about 1/2 that.
I'm blaming bureaucracy more than anything else.

I don't remember where I got those numbers... but 85-90K per year per prisoner at the federal level...
Doesn't it feel good to have that money coming out of YOUR paycheck just to keep me off the streets?
I'm glad you're willing to pay for some safety... 8)

Kalash - we continue to wish you the best. I haven't read any of the links you posted but will later this evening.

I'm not sure if this is the book Fausty was referring to:

http://fedsgotme.com/Excerpts.html

I don't own it and have only read excerpts, but it may be of use to you. I have never been to jail/prison except once when I had to bail out a friend. :| It is my understanding that federal prisons are more comfortable, with more amenities than state prisons, due to the fact that they receive more funding (and more scrutiny in the form of internal and external audits). It's still going to suck, I'm sure, if you are indeed facing time.

You've raised a lot of excellent questions. I may not have agreed with each step you took on this process, but I learned a lot by following your progress. I don't think you, as a nonviolent drug offender, deserve any time and no, I'm not happy about having to foot the bill. ;)

Please keep us informed how everything went today.