Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Study: Methadone and Buprenorphine Aren’t Used Enough in Opioid Recovery

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Study: Methadone and Buprenorphine Aren’t Used Enough in Opioid Recovery
Gaby Galvin
U.S. News & World Report
February 5th, 2020
FAR TOO FEW PEOPLE WITH opioid addiction have had access to the most effective treatments in recent years, a new study suggests.

Getting people into high-quality, evidence-based addiction treatment is seen as key to curbing the nation's deadly opioid epidemic. The new study, published Wednesday in JAMA Network Open, indicates that treatment using buprenorphine or methadone – medications that can help people manage opioid withdrawal – is by far the most effective way to prevent overdoses and hospitalizations, but that people were much less likely to have access to these medications than to other treatments.

The analysis included nearly 41,000 people with opioid use disorder who had commercial health insurance or Medicare Advantage plans from approximately 2015 to 2017 – three years when nearly 123,000 people died of opioid overdoses. The study found that just 12.5% of patients were treated with buprenorphine or methadone, compared with 59.3% who received outpatient counseling only and 15.8% who went into residential rehabilitation or detox services.

Overall, 1.7% of patients overdosed and 1.9% were hospitalized or had visited an ER within three months. But compared with patients who received no treatment, those treated with buprenorphine or methadone were 76% less likely to overdose within three months and 59% less likely to overdose within a year, the analysis showed. They were also 32% less likely to be hospitalized or go to the ER within three months, and 26% less likely to have an acute care episode 12 months later.

None of the other treatment methods were associated with significant declines in both overdoses and acute care at the three- and 12-month marks.
Read the full story here.

What a glaring contrast between the effectiveness of agonist substitution and the ineffectiveness of twelve-step/inpatient treatment. It's too bad this has barely been picked up in U.S. media.

I chose substitution, I live a happy life slowly tapering over the years. If I quit I quit, if I don’t I don’t. I stopped stressing over that years ago. I can’t thank Suboxone enough for what it’s given me.

My parents chose twelve step and remained angry and bitter for years until they eventually succumb to pharmaceutical benzodiazepines while still pretending to work the program. Their lies snowballed to the point where these supposedly multiple decades clean people now use anything they can get their hands on.

They live a life of lies whereas I live a life of honesty to myself and those around me. I can’t believe the weight off my shoulders when I finally gave up that stupid full “abstinence” (aka drink coffee, smoke cigs, and anything else you can slip under the rug) crap they preach in the meetings. I grew up in those meetings, they pull at your heart strings and they borderline cult like but they don’t work.

-GC

I chose substitution, I live a happy life slowly tapering over the years. If I quit I quit, if I don’t I don’t. I stopped stressing over that years ago. I can’t thank Suboxone enough for what it’s given me.

My parents chose twelve step and remained angry and bitter for years until they eventually succumb to pharmaceutical benzodiazepines while still pretending to work the program. Their lies snowballed to the point where these supposedly multiple decades clean people now use anything they can get their hands on.

They live a life of lies whereas I live a life of honesty to myself and those around me. I can’t believe the weight off my shoulders when I finally gave up that stupid full “abstinence” (aka drink coffee, smoke cigs, and anything else you can slip under the rug) crap they preach in the meetings. I grew up in those meetings, they pull at your heart strings and they borderline cult like but they don’t work.

-GC

I'm not one to tell anyone that there's one way to deal with addiction. And anyone who feels abstinence or 12 steps have helped them.. Good for them.

But yeah for me I feel more on your side. I truly, honestly don't believe I would ever have gotten off heroin if not for methadone.

Some people seem to eventually reach a point where they've had enough and will do anything to quit... Then there are others who will die before they're able to just stop. And I'm pretty confident I'm in the latter camp.

And it's for that reason that substitution therapies must be provided. Because not everyone's gonna end up quitting any other way.

It's not perfect, but I believe for many it's the least bad option.

Indeed we need a range of treatment options. More courses for the horses!

In Scotland methadone was/is the default heroin addiction treatment for about 30yrs. I had my first leisurely taste in n england, late 80's. It works well for some people but not so good for others. Be careful what yo sign up to in the scramble to clean up addict america.

Our methadone experience -
  • It's implicated in a high overdose rate. People prescribed methadone often mix it up with street drugs and alcohol
  • Methadone withdrawal takes longer than heroin withdrawal. Urban myth says 12-18 months to clear from your body
  • People become as addicted to methadone as they do to heroin etc.
  • Very bad for mental health
  • Methadone substitution as a treatment for opioid addiction has been criticized in the social sciences for its role in social control of addicts --
    "methadone, which mimics the effects of opioids and renders the addict compliant, is labeled as a "treatment" and so achieves the disciplinary objectives of managing the "undesirables" (wiki)
  • it focuses a chemical solution on a social/psychological problem
We are still keeping it as a treatment option, it certainly has a role to play, but hopefully we won't go back to applying it on mass regardless of how much it will help people.

Methadone doesn't take 12-18 months to leave the body. That's total crap. It takes about a month as I recall.

Methadone and subuxone do both have side effects and negative repercussions yes. And I entirely agree that neither should be just blindly used regardless of circumstance.

But methadone and subuxone have saved lives. The evidence validating their use is very large at this point.

Frankly silver, your post strikes me less as an informative word of caution and more like propaganda.

It's not perfect, we don't live in a world of perfect options. But it's definitely one of the better options available today.

And while addiction is certainly a social and psychological problem. It is not exclusively those. It is also a physiological problem. Suggesting that because it's somewhat psychological or social in nature we shouldn't use medications to treat it strikes me as the same as telling a depressed person not to seek medication because "its a psychological problem".

It's overly simplistic. And over simplifications kill people.