• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Is there a ‘trial penalty’ for drug defendants who refuse plea deals?

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Is there a ‘trial penalty’ for drug defendants who refuse plea deals?
Meredith Clark
MSNBC
December 6th, 2013

Federal prosecutors essentially force men and women charged with drug crimes to plead guilty using the threat of long sentences, a new report alleges.

Human Rights Watch released a report Thursday titled “An Offer You Can’t Refuse: How US Federal Prosecutors Force Drug Defendants to Plead Guilty,” which argues that prosecutors use America’s harsh sentencing laws to punish defendants who do not accept plea deals.

Ninety-seven percent of federal drug defendants do not go to trial, HRW’s research found. That figure is so high because of what the report calls the “trial penalty,” longer sentences given to individuals who exercise their right to a trial rather than accept a plea offer. Federal drug offenders who are convicted after a trial receive sentences three-times longer than those who accept plea deals, according to the report.

“Going to trial is a right, not a crime,” Jamie Fellner, senior advisor to the U.S. program at Human Rights Watch and author of the report, said in a statement. “But defendants are punished with longer sentences for exercising that right.”

Prosecutors have the power to choose which charges a defendant will face, or whether to pursue tougher sentences based on criteria like prior convictions or crimes involving weapons. Prosecutors may also decide whether to pursue charges that would carry mandatory minimum sentences, one of the main drivers of the exploding federal prison population. Once a defendant is convicted, it is nearly impossible for a judge to get around a mandatory minimum sentence. HRW’s report found that 90% of defendants who take cases to trial are convicted.

Read the full story here.

My condolences to the poor souls who were brave or naive enough to go to trial. :(

Looks to me like you should only take your case to trial if you truly aren't guilty of the crime and have ample truth then..

My condolences too though to any one caught in the meaningless web of the drug war.

I Turned Down 3 Years in Prison and Ended Up With 15 to Life

http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/i-turned-down-3-years-prison-and-ended-15-life

Today a new report by Human Rights Watch titled “An Offer You Can’t Refuse” revealed that only three percent of U.S. drug defendants in federal cases chose to go to trial instead of pleading guilty in 2012. The report explains that the reason only three percent go to trial is because prosecutors warn defendants that if they refuse the plea and go to trial, they will be charged with a more series crime and end up with a much longer sentence.

Prosecutors live and die for convictions and they use mandatory minimum sentencing as a prosecutorial tool to secure convictions and get people to plead guilty without getting their right to a fair trial.

People’s fear of angering prosecutors by going to trial is real. The reports shows that defendants who chose to exercise their constitutional rights to go to trial routinely face sentences three times greater than the original plea deals. This is an astounding revelation.

I know the pressure to take a deal and the disastrous consequences of taking my case to trial. In 1985 I refused a plea deal of three years and end up being sentenced to 15 years to life under the mandatory provisions of New York’s Rockefeller Drug Laws.

I was duped into delivering an envelope containing four ounces of cocaine for $500 by a bowling buddy. During the criminal proceedings the district attorney’s office discovered I was not a drug dealer but nevertheless, they wanted to secure a conviction.

During the trial the assistant district attorney approached me and asked how old my daughter was. I told him she was seven years old. He told me if I chose to go to trial the next time I would see my daughter is when she was 22, take the plea offer of three years to life because you will never win. I was afraid of being away from my wife and daughter for three years. I refused the offer and a few days later I was convicted and sentenced to 15 years to life. I could not believe it.

The story continues: http://www.drugpolicy.org/blog/i-turned-down-3-years-prison-and-ended-15-life

Looks to me like you should only take your case to trial if you truly aren't guilty of the crime and have ample truth then..

My condolences too though to any one caught in the meaningless web of the drug war.

Its rarely as simple as you make ot out to be.

"Federal prosecutors essentially force men and women charged with drug crimes to plead guilty using the threat of long sentences, a new report alleges."

If this is new or news then I'm a gravityless black hole.

"Federal prosecutors essentially force men and women charged with drug crimes to plead guilty using the threat of long sentences, a new report alleges."

My sentiments exactly.

I got screwed by the Denver DA in a similar manner... She was going to add charges for something else that happened in another county if I took it to trial. I couldn't afford risking a year behind bars plus the outcome of my case in Jefferson County so I took the 2 years of probation and they made me the same offer in Jefferson County but with additional conditions and sealed two convictions for something that I wasn't even guilty of.

Its not fair but that's the business and it has been that way since I can remember and my mother can remember before me. :|

Yeah, that's nothing we didn't know, but this report gives the actual statistics... which are pretty damned bleak.

Yeah, that's nothing we didn't know, but this report gives the actual statistics... which are pretty damned bleak.

This is only federal prosecutions too, which is only a small percentage of drug crimes. Incidents like Kat mentioned wouldn't even be counted in these statistics. The laws are written so broadly (as possession can be a felony...), that once you're caught up in the system you may as well be guilty, for all the good being innocent would actually do you. Or even if the law is totally unconscionable, our society has decided 10 years for possession of a small amount of a substance is reasonable...

The govenrment has to much power when its people are in fear of even excersizing their right to a fair trial.

So many article up right now that leave my blood boiling.

When will the population realize we don't need the government. All they are doing is ruining lives and making themselves rich and untouchable.

This isn't a revelation. Human rights organizations I've been commenting on this for years. It's one of the major black marks of the U.S. "justice" system, but the same kind of crap exists in other countries too. In Canada it's for sure happening.

I am extremely scared of this happening to me. Douche bag officer sent a DOLLAR BILL that heffound rolled up in my car to get tested!!

Im thinking even if it does come back positive how could it ever hold up in trial? But now im scared

Highhooked, I hate to say it, but if that dollar bill is a US denomination then it is something like 99% positive to test for cocaine. I do not envy you and your situation with that dollar bill. The only chance in hell you have of it not testing positive is if it just went into circulation that very day, and you were the only person other than the teller to handle the note, AND you did not place the bill into your wallet/purse.

This isn't a revelation. Human rights organizations I've been commenting on this for years. It's one of the major black marks of the U.S. "justice" system, but the same kind of crap exists in other countries too. In Canada it's for sure happeninng.

Maybe, but at least the sentencing in Canada is far more reasonable. For drug trafficking, production, importation, and exportation, you're just as likely to get house arrest as to get prison time, and the average sentence is less than six months.

In the U.S., the average sentence for drug trafficking is over five and a half motherfucking years... and even possession is four years. 8o

They need to do this.. how do you think they are winning the war on drugs.. they need to protect our lives by ruining them and stealing our money8)

Highhooked, I hate to say it, but if that dollar bill is a US denomination then it is something like 99% positive to test for cocaine. I do not envy you and your situation with that dollar bill. The only chance in hell you have of it not testing positive is if it just went into circulation that very day, and you were the only person other than the teller to handle the note, AND you did not place the bill into your wallet/purse.

That's exactly why I think theres no way it will hold up at trial.

I wouldn't plead guilty in Canada. People who do are mostly the type who don't want to live under two years of strict bail conditions. There isn't going to be a 6 month sentence if you plead and 15 years if found guilty in Canada, so why not fight it? Half the time it gets thrown out anyway. Pleading guilty to a minor drug crime in Canada if you don't get a full discharge means a criminal record, and chances are you will regret that one day.

Great to know that if a defendent tries to go to trial and the prosecutor has to do some actual work they will triple your sentence...thats great...i was supposed to go to the gym then to elizibeth arden for a facial! Now i gotta go to court to hear this junkie cry about how he forgot he had marijuana seeds and stems in his ash tray...ohh thats going to cost him big time!!! Or i had an 830 tee time now i have to go litigate at a trial over a bag of cocaine residue?? Damnit! Im giving this ass hole 25 to life. Too bad prosecutors dont like to work unless its a high line case that will get their pic in the paper. Drug crimes are on the bottom of the ladder.

Yeah, this isn't just for drugs either, it's part of the plea deal scenario overall. A close female friend of mine's boyfriend is being held in feds on a weed trafficking charge. She's ignorant of how things work, and acts like he's going to be out any day now, but I read the information on his case and he's definitely going up for a few ($100k worth, lots of investigation + evidence). I feel like I should tell her this but feel bad, hah.

Damn though. In canada you only get like a year for traffick? Shit considering the money is just as good, if you're actually pursuing this shit as a 'career' or long term thing, should really try to live up there huh?