U.N. Report Suggests Some Autism and Addiction Treatments Are Akin to Torture

Swimmingdancer;11512690 said:
FWIW, I am off methadone now, regret going on it and believe it should be a last resort and that people should be properly warned about the adverse effects, huge dependence liability, etc,

I agree, but it's also significant that methadone can be much easier to withdraw from than heroin. I even went to Disney World during one of my methadone withdrawals!

Point is, if it must be one or the other, it's preferable to be dependent on methadone than heroin.

23536;11512725 said:
I agree, but it's also significant that methadone can be much easier to withdraw from than heroin. I even went to Disney World during one of my methadone withdrawals!

Point is, if it must be one or the other, it's preferable to be dependent on methadone than heroin.

I think methadone's advantages are nearly all due to the fact that it's legally prescribed. I think heroin or at least morphine should be available to addicts. I also do not think methadone is easier to withdraw from for most people, unless you've only been on it a short time. I found it way harder to withdraw from than heroin - the withdrawal lasts SO long.

I
Swimmingdancer;11512743 said:
I think methadone's advantages are nearly all due to the fact that it's legally prescribed. I think heroin or at least morphine should be available to addicts. I also do not think methadone is easier to withdraw from for most people, unless you've only been on it a short time. I found it way harder to withdraw from than heroin - the withdrawal lasts SO long.

Although there is something to be said for the advantages of a long half life (bupe was, since I first discovered it, like methadone which I'd discovered earlier, my drug of choice because of it's long half life, duration and mildness of effects), I tend to agree with you. When it comes to detox, a short acting drug detox propperly medicated sounds a LOT nicer than my having to spend six months carefully coming off my suboxone... not like I mind, it'll be worth it, but detoxing off dope is so much (relatively speaking, from my experience, although I never was one to be big on IV or obsessed with getting to the point of nodding) easier than detoxing of bupe or 'done.

The primary advantage of bupe for me? It's legal (and doesn't show us in most drug tests). Half life/duration and mild effects are only secondary. The dope life is such a pain primarily because of the illegality (and dangers) involved. The legal issue is so, so much more dangerous than the actual drug itself...

My point of view is: you can keep full time work hours while doing an unmedicated withdrawal of methadone. Doing this with heroin is nigh impossible, so discontinuation implies financial ruin as well.

It's like the difference between jogging ten miles and sprinting 3 miles. The former may be over thrice as long, but the latter is definitely more intense.

I
True, and a lot depends on the specific individual and frequency/dose being used. I mean, someone who's been sniffing 2-3 bags of ECP to get high for three to six months could w/d at work (I did it pretty comfortably with nothing but a tiny bit of clonidine (<.1mg), antihistamines (diphen, 50-100mg), IBU (600-800mg every 4-6hrs) and a tiny bit of lorazepam (0.25mg 1-2x per day for four days or just 0.5mg at night and none during the day)). Whereas, me, two years later, well I could still w/d at work (and law school for that matter), it just sucked a lot more.

But I have been friends with a few folks who use enough so that you're absolutely right, acute w/d would put them DOWN regardless of circumstances.

With the unmediated w/d of methadone though, it would still depend on the individual, dosage, etc. etc. I imagine. I have known a couple folks on higher doses who probably wouldn't be able to go to work if they went did a drastic taper, let alone c/t (e.g. wouldn't be much better than w/d off a huge dope habit, although it would last a lot longer and in that sense suck a lot more in terms of jeopardizing their employment).

Wanna hear something funny though: The best activity I have ever found to do while in w/d, especially if you can get your basic comfort meds (LOW dose or no benzos OR gabapentin/pregabalin at sub recreational levels, or really just a tiny bit of clonidine and IBU), is to spend the time one is in w/d volunteering. Just staying busy is HARD as hell in w/d, and not doing so makes it infinitely worse, for all those concerned.

Find a volunteer position at some poverty stricken school or, if you're like really looking the part of the w/d junky, just find some soup kitchen or whatever. Hell, if I hadn't had such negative experiences with them, I'd suggest going to meetings and getting a commitment or two (but I'm not going there). The fact you're kept busy plus feeling like you did something positive, at the end of the day, makes even c/t withdrawal so, so much more bearable. But, of course, you'd need a lot of comfort meds to get a hard core users into the visible condition necessary to volunteer by reading to kids in elementary school...

At the end of the day though, it's all about the individual, their habit and drug. We can (and should) generalize, but I bet we'd also all agree that that, how people experience drugs differently, is primary to any generalizes, no matter how accurate or useful, we can make.

Attn central NY suboxone adicts!
This one time i went to Oswego County Hospital Mental Helath facility Bunner St.
I had been abusing my Suboxone ( script for 12mg/day. I was doing 2x that/daily ) and then all of a sudden my prescribing physician goes on vacation for 2 weeks. I went to Bunner st, and i didnt have ANY withdrawls. I am a Scientologist ( I love Tom Cruise. Katie is a drug addict and has started to post on this website ) and the staff still treated me with kid gloves when I told them of my predictiment.
I had previously when Prescribing Physician went on anothe rvacation for a few weeks suffered from the worst withdrawls EVER.