• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.K. - Families of people killed by drugs to march on parliament to demand decriminalisation

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Families of people killed by drugs to march on parliament to demand decriminalisation
Abby Young-Powell
Independent
June 14th, 2019
Families of people killed in drug-related deaths will next week start a six-day walk to parliament to raise awareness of the harms of current drug policy.

The walk, organised by Anyone’s Child, a collective of families affected by drugs who are campaigning for legal control and regulation of the drugs trade, will start on 20 June and end with families sharing their stories outside parliament.

The group are calling on MPs to regulate drugs, putting doctors, pharmacists and licensed vendors in charge of the illegal narcotics market, which they say will save lives.

“I’m walking for my son Jake, so his existence isn’t meaningless, so that 22 years of loving is not wasted, so that minds can be changed and attitudes altered,” Chris Evans, who lost her son to a drug overdose, said.

“I’m walking 55 miles of the Thames Path for my dead sons Jake and Roland. Along the way we want to raise awareness and funding for our campaign,” said Rose Humphries, who lost two sons to overdoses.
Read the full story here.

One day, all prohibitionist drug campaigners and legislators will realize they were on the wrong side of history. That or they'll have died off by that point. Whatever the case, the world will be better off for it.

i don't ever see class a's being legal in the uk. coming from my point of view, i'd love legal gear also for it to be free to those that need it too, but am damn sure that will never happen.

'We want to see drugs legally regulated' - Families march on parliament to demand decriminalisation
Bronwen Weatherby
BristolLive
June 25th, 2019
"I’m walking for my son Jake, so his existence isn’t meaningless," said Chris Evans, one of a record number of parents and activists marching on Parliament today demanding the government take charge of the illegal drugs market.

"I'm walking so that 22 years of loving is not wasted, so that minds can be changed and attitudes altered," Chris, who lost her son to a drug overdose, added.

Today was the culmination of a six day walk organised by Anyone's Child, a group made up of bereaved parents who are demanding a change in the country's "harmful" drug policy.

Families wrecked by the current drug laws want MPs to bring in legal regulation of the drugs trade by putting doctors, pharmacists and licensed vendors in charge of the narcotics market. A move they say would save countless lives.

The current approach, which bans drugs and criminalises those involved with them causes more harm, they say. Leading to drug-gang violence, countless lives ruined by criminal records for possession, and entirely avoidable deaths from contaminated street drugs.
Read the full story here.