Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.K. - Ease rules on research into psychedelic drugs, urges David Nutt

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Ease rules on research into psychedelic drugs, urges David Nutt
Nicola Davis
The Guardian
April 2nd, 2020
Restrictions on the use of psychedelic drugs in research should be relaxed to help find new treatments for conditions including mental health disorders, the former government adviser Prof David Nutt has said.

Nutt was sacked as chair of the advisory committee on the misuse of drugs in October 2009 over his views that ecstasy and LSD are less dangerous than alcohol.

He said the potential benefits of psychedelics – first suggested from research in the 1950s and 60s – were failing to be properly explored because of draconian regulations imposed for political reasons.

While heroin and psilocybin (the active compound in magic mushrooms) are both class A drugs, only the latter is a “schedule 1” controlled drug – a category of drugs deemed to have no medical value.

“The implication is if you want to use [psychedelics] you must be doing something naughty, even though it is research,” said Nutt.
Read the full story here.

Ease rules on research into psychedelic drugs, urges David Nutt
Nicola Davis
The Guardian
April 2nd, 2020

Read the full story here.

The trouble is, no one listens to David Nutt because he is seen as pro drugs (which he is, but in a sensible, harm reduction, evidenced based way) and that loses votes.

He also once said that ecstasy is less dangerous than horse riding - that didn't go down well with the ruling class.

His unfortunate surname probably doesn't help his case much either - perfect for the right wing press to ridicule his arguments...

Sometimes I think I'm unlucky to live in America. Then I hear about shit going on in the U.K., and I breath a sigh of relief ;)