⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

TV: The Sarah Silverman Program

LL - Of course I don't get that joke.

I'm not a (OMG!) professional comedian, nor am I an elitist New Yorker, so I'm definitely not smart enough to get it.

I do think its really funny that your "opinions" (that you try to push as facts) are as ridiculous in comedy/art/entertainment as they are in sports.

Maybe next time you're in the green room with legends like Redd Foxx and Richard Pryor you guys can write a joke about that, since you've tried to make it so evident that you chill with the world's hottest comedians. The fact that they're dead won't affect your delusions of grandeur, right?

=D

Methinks YOU'RE the one being defensive and insecure here.

I merely asked you a very direct and simple question:

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT JOKE?

Because if you don't understand it, then, OBVIOUSLY, you won't find it funny.

-LL

P.S. Thanks for the ad-homs.

^ I already told you I didn't get it. I don't see anything resembling a joke there, to be honest.
It's hard to understand a joke that isn't there, wouldn't you say? My first guess is that it might have something to do with Halle Berry's hit and run, but I still fail to see a single shred of humor there.

So please explain it to me, and although jokes aren't "funny" once they've been explained, I'll still see how humorous I find it. What I mean is I probably won't laugh at a joke being explained, but I'll still be able to evaluate it. I want to see if its as *BRILLIANT* as you said it is.

^ I already told you I didn't get it. I don't see anything resembling a joke there, to be honest.
It's hard to understand a joke that isn't there, wouldn't you say? My first guess is that it might have something to do with Halle Berry's hit and run, but I still fail to see a single shred of humor there.

So please explain it to me, and although jokes aren't "funny" once they've been explained, I'll still see how humorous I find it. What I mean is I probably won't laugh at a joke being explained, but I'll still be able to evaluate it. I want to see if its as *BRILLIANT* as you said it is.

Actually, you DID get it. :)

It DOES have to do with Halle's hit and run.

And the reason that I think that this joke is so great is that the ball is SOOOOO well hidden.

And "hiding the ball," when done well, is many great jokes' main formula.

And in this case, the reason, imo, that it's so well-done, is that it seemed like a fully formed answer to Conan's question on Sarah's part BEFORE she paused before delivering the punchline.

And at the risk of sounding pompous yet again, writing original jokes like this are EXTREMELY difficult to do for all but the most skilled joke-writers.

If you don't agree, then I implore you to take the next twenty-four hours, and write ONE original joke using this formula - one which seems like you've COMPLETELY answered the set-up question BEFORE the punchline is delivered.

Wow... that was it? Honestly then, the joke is just not funny at all. And its definitely far from brilliant.

And thats not an attack on you for liking it, its my opinion, of course. It's also the opinion of two friends that I just showed it too, who all have varying tastes in comedy and one of which is a pretty big fan of the SS program. They both had the same reaction that I did... "thats supposed to be funny?" (And no, I didn't set it up in a biased manner, like presenting it with the comment "look at how shitty this joke is!" - I just had them read it.)

Wow... that was it? Honestly then, the joke is just not funny at all. And its definitely far from brilliant.

And thats not an attack on you for liking it, its my opinion, of course. It's also the opinion of two friends that I just showed it too, who all have varying tastes in comedy and one of which is a pretty big fan of the SS program. They both had the same reaction that I did... "thats supposed to be funny?" (And no, I didn't set it up in a biased manner, like presenting it with the comment "look at how shitty this joke is!" - I just had them read it.)

In fairness, I doubt that you delivered it and timed it as well as Sarah did (I wouldn't have either - her timing and delivery are universally accepted as being off-the-charts), but with that said, I respect, albeit disagree, with your opinion that that ISN'T a great joke.

And in my view, we're getting somewhere with this discussion:

Non-comics, imo, do NOT give NEARLY enough credit to "Degree Of Difficulty" of writing a particular joke.

A well-timed fart might make you laugh harder than some of Woody Allen's most original brilliantly-written jokes, but imo, COMICS tend to value the degree-of-difficulty of writing a particular joke, while NON-comics tend (in general) to go sheerly on how hard something makes them laugh.

Again, just my opinion and observation as a comic.

Thanks for continuing the discussion in a mature non-ad-hom-filled way.

- LL

don't forget... the precision of the delivery. that's one of my favorite things about sarah silverman. her delivery is so spot on in everything i've ever seen her do from her sitcom, to stand up, to roasts... she's always precise.

I didn't say it, since its out of context and it wouldn't work right. And the fact that I read it, so I wanted them to read it.
Maybe a video of it might be slightly humorous (I doubt it, but I'm trying to be fair), but as text it just wasn't funny to any of us.

Thanks for continuing the discussion in a mature non-ad-hom-filled way.
After a minute of being a dick I realized it wasn't going to help anything. So, you're welcome, sorry, and thank you.

putting an impromptu styled joke in text will, undoubtedly, always take the funny out of it, IMO.

then again, i'm not the professional. ;)

^ So, LL, do you have clips of your stand up anywhere?

I know a few crappy two-bit comedians who work local bars for pennies and they have elaborate websites, so I have to assume someone who does comedy professionally must have a website or at least myspace page to help introduce other to their work, help book gigs, etc.

I really do want to see your comedy for comedy's sake. I don't want to criticize or anything. If a BLer was a master juggler, I'd like to see a video of them juggling, and this is no different.

^ So, LL, do you have clips of your stand up anywhere?

I know a few crappy two-bit comedians who work local bars for pennies and they have elaborate websites, so I have to assume someone who does comedy professionally must have a website or at least myspace page to help introduce other to their work, help book gigs, etc.

I really do want to see your comedy for comedy's sake. I don't want to criticize or anything. If a BLer was a master juggler, I'd like to see a video of them juggling, and this is no different.

Yes I do.

In the interests of privacy, I'd prefer to keep it off of this particular board, but if you give me a few days, I'd be happy to forward you a clip of some of my stand-up.

Cheers,

LL

FYI you guys,

I have a second handle I use on this site and it's johanneschimpo.

Just a heads up.

Well if that's true, then you're going to lose one. One handle per bluelighter only. Didn't you get the memo?

I'd like to keep both, but if I really have to get rid of one, it would be MaxPowers. I'd rather keep the one with more posts (obviously).

Thanks! :)

I wasn't really trying, but I'm glad you liked it. That's awesome.