⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

tv: The Pacific (WW II miniseries)

though once in a while it looks a tad fake
That's my only gripe with it, they skimped on the cgi.

I do think you have to watch Kokoda, The thin red line, Flags of our fathers before one appreciates The Pacific a bit more.

i haven't been that impressed with the first two eps. the characters and action are both boring. i like BoB, but this just seems to glorify war too much for my sense of comfort. it completely misses the horror of the situation, which is far more pertinent imo.

I don't know how long people are going to continue watching films/ TV shows about the same fucking thing. I mean, do we really need more WW2/ Vietnam stories?

I liked 'Inglourious Basterds' and 'The Reader', but that was because they were a bit different.

Typically, though, I can't sit down and watch a film that realistically depicts war, no matter how well it's acted or how many explosions there are. I really don't understand why anyone would want to watch a ten part miniseries that retells the most frequently revisited moment of history from yet another perspective. Is there anything more to reveal?

it's great to see a genius like Spielberg focus on the Pacific

Spielberg didn't make this. He was the EP. And he's not a genius. Look at his filmography, he's made a lot of crap - especially if you include producing credits.
(He was the executive producer for Transformers 2)

^there really is no point, is there, except for maybe further desensitisation and glorification. the paranoid side of me is like these are meant to make people feel less at media coverage of war (and thus more accepting of more of it) and further starry eyed dreams of getting some war glory stories of one's own and enlisting.

i've felt this ever since saving private ryan and the thin red line. i mean, i love both of those movies, but i felt at the time that there was a political agenda behind moving on from the previously prevalent vietnam war films which were far less glorious and far more critical of movements toward war. Focusing on battles which were far more justified can definitely influence current support for "killin bad guys".

I've seen 5 episodes of this now and think it's awesome. I have Band of Brothers on DVD and loved that series as well.

I don't know how long people are going to continue watching films/ TV shows about the same fucking thing. I mean, do we really need more WW2/ Vietnam stories?
Yes, the same answer you had before.

Typically, though, I can't sit down and watch a film that realistically depicts war, no matter how well it's acted or how many explosions there are. I really don't understand why anyone would want to watch a ten part miniseries that retells the most frequently revisited moment of history from yet another perspective. Is there anything more to reveal?

It's funny that cinematic exploits about the Guadalcanal can be counted on one hand.
If you can't understand that war movies can be a tribute to people who are still alive and sacrificed a lot of our freedoms we enjoy today you're missing the point.
HBO die fly vets to Washington with the Honor Flight Network.
No doubt you don't understand why people wear a poppy either.

honour the dead, by encourageing others to enlist and join them
:(

Another solid episode, I think its finally found its feet. I'm really enjoying the interplay between Sledge and the New Orleans sounding guy.

No, I don't. I looked up the poem mentioned above, and I still don't get it.
http://www.poppy.org.uk/remembrance
As custodians of Remembrance, The Royal British Legion through the Poppy Appeal, provide ways for commemorating those who are no longer with us.

Each November, Fields of Remembrance are set up in London and Cardiff with Remembrance Crosses available for personal dedications. In 2008, a special Flanders' Field of Poppies was created to commemorate the end of the First World War and was so popular, it was repeated in 2009.

Other special anniversaries have been commemorated such as the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands and D-Day 65. And watch out for details of the 65th anniversary of VE Day on 8 May 2010.
I've never worn one , I just put a few quid in.

I don't think that it is a sensible to donate money to a charity that doesn't really require it. There are far more deserving causes. When I see these old guys selling poppies, it bewilders me. My grandfather served in WW2 and he didn't get it either. It's weird. I don't know. Where are your few quid going? And wouldn't it make more sense to have a day that paid tribute to all those lost in battle, in all wars. I mean, why specify? We already have remembrance day. I don't know. Like Impacto_Profundo, I'm opposed to war, heavily opposed, and a lot of the people who served are on the same level as me so I don't think I'm being disrespectful when I say that I would rather (and I do) give my couple of dollars to some really desperate people, rather than contribute to the glorification and revisitation of war. You can say they don't glorify the army, but when they march, they march in army uniforms. If current recruits of the army, active platoons, were marching - I wouldn't applaud them. So I don't applaud retired soldiers either. I don't judge them, but I won't contribute to a celebration in their honour.

heavily opposed, and a lot of the people who served are on the same level as me[/url]
If you actually watched this series and most other war movies you will see why they become 'opposed' to war since it illustrates the horrors of it and the effects it has on people.
To say it's a 'glorification of war' is nonsense.

I don't see anyone wanting to join the army after watching this bar maybe a few brainless one's.
There will more people wanting to join the army after playing Medal of Honor, the one's who would get bored of watching this since there ain't enough action.

To say that the poppy appeal is a charity that doesn't deserve the money, no point beating around the bush that's how your post reads, now that is bewildering.
I'd better stop there ...

I'm not suggesting that this show is painting war in an overly positive light. However, having multiple public holidays that revolve around paying respect to soldiers is beyond me. 'The Pacific' doesn't need to blatantly glorify war, simply by existing -and being a sympathetic portrayal of the allies, it does so to a certain extent.

I've heard terrible stories from the battleground. There was an enormous amount of racism and misconduct from both sides.

Typically, this element of war is removed or at least heavily toned down.

And so what you have is not an accurate portrayal of what happened, but rather a selective portrayal. The soldiers are more often than not heroes, rather than people. When one of 'us' dies, it is a tragedy. When enemy soldiers die, it isn't.

There have been recreations of war since there have been wars. Before film, they were acted out publically. People still do historical recreations. To me, there isn't a huge difference between this and recreating murder on the silver screen.

To say that the poppy appeal is a charity that doesn't deserve the money, no point beating around the bush that's how your post reads, now that is bewildering. I'd better stop there ...

You can stop there if you like, but you gave no indication as to why you think the poppy appeal is a valid charity and maybe it is, maybe I'm missing something. Why give money to war vetarans rather than people without adequate food/ medicine?

As I said, when soldiers march - they march in uniform.

I'm not sure what message you think this gives to young people, for our entire nation to celebrate a parade of men dressed up in their costumes of death.

They're talking about making the march more universal, so that it applies to all wars - rather than just a handful of them. This would include Vietnam. Now, you can't honestly think that we should be celebrating the Western presence in Vietnam. I mean, should Germans have parades for Nazis?

Typically, this element of war is removed or at least heavily toned down.
Dude you should watch the first two or three episodes. What you just claimed had been quite nicely illustrated .
They showed similar things in the following episodes to.
NSFW:
where they shoot the jap in the arm and body to wound him and not kill him, which illustrated the disdain they had for them, the cutting the golden teeth out of dead soldiers, then it gets worse as the conflict goes on when he cuts the golden teeth out of one still alive ...

Watch it and pay attention to what you see , it ain't a Rambo movie which your opinions are based upon ;)

Funny the poppy appeal spends money, in the order of 30 something million £, on ex soldiers to receive medication/treatment/financial aid that need it.
You can't differentiate between the reason of going to war,decided by politicians , and the people that went and came back and 'suffered' and need help. Whether rightly or wrongly going to war there's still people coming back with problems.
Poppy appeal addresses the latter.

Why spend money on them and not others, they did something to be treated with respect.
No doubt you will come back with a granny robbing drug addict who had a tough life could do with some help to or similar cobblers and that's where it will definitely end.

Last edited:
When you risk life and limb for a cause it's a bit self explanatory.
Or just kill lots of babies ;)

There are certain wars that are regarded to be vital in the establishment of modern society. People say we owe the soldiers of those wars something. "They fought so you could have everything you do today." "Without them, we would be speaking German." etc.

Realistically, though, people enlist for all sorts of reasons. I don't think the majority of people join the armed forces for selfless reasons. If they say they do, then they're probably just trying to appear selfless in order to gain praise.

Is it respectable to kill people for money, or to kill for pussy, or to establish a career?

I'm not suggesting that certain wars haven't been neccesary to varying degrees, but the inevitability of an event doesn't mean that all the individuals involved deserve my respect.

Men are men. Soldiers are soldiers. Both sides have both.

German men had a choice, die or serve.

It's circumstantial.

If the same Australian soldiers that we pay respect to had lived in Germany at the time, then they would have been wearing different uniforms.

Or just kill lots of babies

You'd like that wouldn't you?

Fucking warmonger.

;)

You guys both have valid points. It goes like this: no matter which way you slice it, war in 100% inevitable. That's why they exist.
I think a good reason to honor vets is because if they didn't do the job, you would of had to, no matter how you feel about whatever given conflict and for whatever reason other men fought in war. Again, war is inevitable. So it's not so much you're honoring them as being morally superior or something, it's that they fought so we didn't have to and could sit around smoking spliffs and chatting on Bluelight....lol, but seriously.

How about that scene from last week with the dead Japanese soldier who's skull was blown open? He was just sitting there and the New Orleans guy was throwing little pebbles in it splashing the blood around.

Some wars are inevitable. To say all wars are inevitable is crazy. There have been countless wars that were simply motivated by greed and power, wars that served no purpose whatsoever. Now, if the men conscripted to go and fight all objected - then the war wouldn't be possible, would it? It certainly doesn't help for people to be volunteering themselves. Your attitude (along with many people I encounter) is decidedly pro war. You might not think so, but consider this. You are saying that all war is inevitable and that people have no choice. There is always a choice. Personally, I would opt to go to jail instead of fighting - so when you say that they fought so I don't have to, I don't think that really applies to me. Maybe I'm a coward. Or maybe those who don't object are the cowards. It's a matter of perspective. If I was a german citizen during the Nazi regime, then I would probably have served - because I doubt I would have the guts to stand up to the Hitler and his henchmen. But in this country, in most of the free world, consciencous objectors aren't killed. They do a little time.

Would you rather serve or go to jail, DexterMeth?

In other words, would you rather kill innocent people or sacrifice some years of your life?

The answer should be obvious.

Yet there are no parades for those who stand up for what they believe in.

There are no parades for pacifists, only murderers.