• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tussionex Suggestions? Experiences? Warnings?

ericjak258

Greenlighter
Hey fellow BLszz!

Just had a couple questions and curiosities about Tussionex Pennkinetic ER Suspension. AKA Hydrocodone/ Chlorpheniramine. In each 5ml it contains 10mg of Hydrocodone polistirex and 8mg of Chlorpheniramine polistirex. The dosage is suppose to be 5ml or 1 teaspoon every 12 hours for cough. I believe since it is extended release, each dose would provide an initial 5mg of hydrocodone and 4mg Chlorpheniramine and then another 5mg hydro and 4mg chlorphen about 6 hours later give or take. And please correct me if I'm wrong but from my research, this is what Information ive gathered and believe to be correct. I've never had this until tonight but it seems to be working amazing for the cough. I've taken 3 teaspoons about 3 hours ago and it is a very nice hydro buzz. I get 5mg vicodins every 3 months or so but so far this seems to be far superior. I have moderate opioid tolerance varying over the years, it's been high in the past but fairly low currently (15/30mg oxycodone gets me buzzin real nice, haven't nodded in several years so not sure how much I'd need for that, been as high as 120mg oxy years ago but these days I will feel 5mg) I know the limit for the antihistamine Chlorpheniramine is no more than 32mg/day but does anyone know the most it is safe to take in 24 hrs? It's been 3 hours since I took 3 tsp and I haven't noticed any bad side effects from the antihistamine. I have a 6oz bottle.

Anyone have any suggestions on a dosage that would be fun to take for a nice buzz?

If anyone has any warnings I should know about, I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Also, If anyone would like to share their tussionex experiences, I would love to hear.

P.S: Does anyone actually prefer promethazine/codeine over tussionex. I just can't understand why there's so much hype over codeine syrup when there's this gold floating around. May not be as visually appealing but I mean seriously codeine doesn't even compare to hydro and they both contain anthistanimes, so it's not like you can take more of one and not the other...but hey I guess everyone to each their own.

Thanks. Hope all fellow BLs are enjoying their night!!

-E

One problem with Tussionex Pennkinetic ER Suspension is that hydrocodone became schedule II in the states and it's a bitch to get vs. promethazine w/ codeine which is schedule V and can be phoned in to any pharm. Most doc's use codeine as a first line treatment for cough anyways, at least in the states and in this new opioid hysterical climate. Enjoy your hydro but don't over do it as the polistirex will make an OD tough to ride out.

Thanks for the response jekyl. That definately makes more sense to me now, I completely forgot that they were in different schedules. The ease of getting prometh/codeine definately makes more sense as to why it's more popular as opposed to preference.

I can tolerate hydro fairly well, usually can handle up to 45/50mg when using CWE with Vicodin, however I don't usually go beyond that with vicodin in case I mess up the CWE so that way I'm still mostly in the safe zone for apap.
I've tolerated much larger amounts of oxycodone in the past but my tolerance is about 30mg at once, 60mg in 4hrs the last time I took it, about 2 months ago. I was more concerned about the antihistamine in the tussionex, as I've had Hydro many times but never in this form. I'm also aware that it's ER so taking 3 tsps being 10mg hydro ER per tsp gives me 15mg at a time, 30mg total, which had me in a nice buzz. Nothing crazy but still very enjoyable. I know it's not recommended to take more than 32mg Chlorpheniramine in 24hrs, so I didn't go above that and am waiting until 830 tonight to take anymore because that is when I dosed last night. I'm just curious if anyone thinks it would be okay to take a larger dose. I was hoping to be in the 30mg Hydro range which would be 60mg altogether so 6 tsps of Tussionex. However that would mean 48mg Chlorpheniramine. I didn't notice any unpleasant side effects from the antihistamine last night. What do you guys think? Is 48mg Chlorpheniramine too much?

P.S: I'm in the states I guess I just got lucky with my doc. He prescribed this first, insurance didn't cover it so they called him and had it switched to virtussin ac. (Codeine/guaf)...I hate that stuff/doesn't work/wayy too itchy, so i held out over the weekend and called/explained and got re rxed tussionex. Thank god cuz now I actually get some relief along with a pleasant buzz.

Thanks for the info man. Yea I was pretty shocked when I found out they didn't cover it because the insurance I have practically covers everything, another reason I didn't mind paying full price, because I pay so little for everything else, if I pay anything at all. Plus I got some weird discount the pharmacist gave me which knocked off $50. I'll probably try a bit more tonight to see how things go and to help with the tail end of this cough which should hopefully be pretty much gone by tomorrow. Then I'll save the rest for the next cough/cold I have or a rainy day. Thanks again jekyl.

I'm not at all familiar with that anti histamine but I can't imagine it being much different from others?

Meaning it probably causes delusions at high levels but is relatively harmless. Is the 32mg per 24 hours what it says on the box? If that's the case I would think that is a low end estimate. Still I wouldn't go too crazy above that amount.

Its definitely not as bad as apap. I can say that with a decent amount of confidence..

Plus I got some weird discount the pharmacist gave me which knocked off $50.

Whoa, a fifty dollar discount ? That must mean the the total was pushing a hundo. Must be the Dom Perignon of cough syrup. Savor that stuff in a champagne flute now Eric !

Hahaha, it was pretty expensive but very much worth it and the discount nearly made it half priced!! I'll be savoring it jekyl, every drop, lol...last night was a great experience and at this point my cough is pretty much gone. I'll be saving the rest for the next cold/cough I have cuz it is by far the best/most helpful/most enjoyable/most blissful/most relieiving cough suppressant I've ever had. I'd have to say it's probably the best/most helpful med for a cold/cough on the market. 200% worth the full price.