• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to quit pot

floatingaround

Bluelighter
I'm 30, been smoking everyday for 15 years.

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks. It involves allt of driving. I cant risk having weed in my system and getting pulled over by police and drug tested.. and not to mention I want to get my life together and try to reverse the negative impacts cannabis has had on my mental state - living a highly paranoid and severely anxious life.

I smoke because I'm bored, it blocks out thoughts and "numbs" me. And ofcourse the easy sleeps.

I don't like alcohol. I was addicted to heroin a year ago, even H was alot easier to kick then pot. Some may laugh at that.

I think what im looking for as an alternative is something like soma, or Kava. I haven't tried either but have read about them and they could be a good option.

I'm addicted to bongs, more specifically, the tobbacco that I mix. Yes, I can tame the cravings through a cigarette or tobbaco cone, no shame.. but psychologically I need a "reset" at the end of the day.

I think at this stage in my life, I MOSTLY use it for mental attitude adjustment.. things feel OK after a bong.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Pot is a more diverse high in general, so I don't laugh at you for that. I'm addicted to kratom, it has a much nicer opioid high, but THC has a diverse and changing high depending on the strain.

My recommendation would be to DEFINITELY, and I mean DEFINITELY give kava a good try. Medium grind and an aluball is the fastest way to prep it, you'd want to buy a 2nd ball though to mix up 40g in one drink. Some people buy 3. Kneading it's a bit more potent but takes like 10 minutes or so. Micronized kava you don't have to strain but is totally nasty and clumpy. It's more potent by quite a bit but lacks the diversity of different kava strains. Some are so euphoric you'd swear you took a little MDMA. But yeah, generally I feel it comes closer to weed than anything.

It's non addictive (physically), you can't build a tolerance, and there's no withdrawals. Sounds too good to be true? That's because it is. The only negative side effect really is that your skin can get dry and scaly after awhile of daily use, they call it kani-kani. Affects strainers the most who don't use gloves, so Fijians in particular who've used it all their lives (and safely) have the drier hands. It apparently can be hard on the liver but from most of my research this is rare and many people have used it for decades and decades with no issues.

The kava buzz in many ways feels like weed, but it's mildly intoxicating similar to alcohol though not at all comparable. It's more like natures benzo. There's also "instant" kava which I think is similar to micronized but less gross, more pricey I think though.

Seriously I can't recommend enough that you try kava. You'll thank me later. I know how hard it is to quit, I had to quit for 6 months after over a decade of smoking, I'm 29 almost 30, started months after turning 17. It was hard, real hard, cravings bad, but they did subside. CBD Tea from Buddhatea (no THC) actually did help me quite a bit. Pure CBD flower usually has at least 0.3% THC, I don't think you'd test positive for THC at that amount but still, they're 5mg a bag, I'd get the chamomile one and did notice it chilled me out. After about 3 months the cravings go away, but trust me I know how you feel.

Think on it, whether you'd rather use cannabis or have this job, because at the end of the day life should be enjoyed. I don't know what state you're in if it's legal or medically legal, I mean I think if you could get it medicinally you'd have an excuse for it in your system but otherwise as long as you don't drive high there shouldn't ever be any issues. I guess I'd be dumb enough to take that chance, to keep getting high but not while on the job. It sounds like you don't get drug tested at least.

Last edited:
Pot is a more diverse high in general, so I don't laugh at you for that. I'm addicted to kratom, it has a much nicer opioid high, but THC has a diverse and changing high depending on the strain.

My recommendation would be to DEFINITELY, and I mean DEFINITELY give kava a good try. Medium grind and an aluball is the fastest way to prep it, you'd want to buy a 2nd ball though to mix up 40g in one drink. Some people buy 3. Kneading it's a bit more potent but takes like 10 minutes or so. Micronized kava you don't have to strain but is totally nasty and clumpy. It's more potent by quite a bit but lacks the diversity of different kava strains. Some are so euphoric you'd swear you took a little MDMA. But yeah, generally I feel it comes closer to weed than anything.

It's non addictive (physically), you can't build a tolerance, and there's no withdrawals. Sounds too good to be true? That's because it is. The only negative side effect really is that your skin can get dry and scaly after awhile of daily use, they call it kani-kani. Affects strainers the most who don't use gloves, so Fijians in particular who've used it all their lives (and safely) have the drier hands. It apparently can be hard on the liver but from most of my research this is rare and many people have used it for decades and decades with no issues.

The kava buzz in many ways feels like weed, but it's mildly intoxicating similar to alcohol though not at all comparable. It's more like natures benzo. There's also "instant" kava which I think is similar to micronized but less gross, more pricey I think though.

Seriously I can't recommend enough that you try kava. You'll thank me later. I know how hard it is to quit, I had to quit for 6 months after over a decade of smoking, I'm 29 almost 30, started months after turning 17. It was hard, real hard, cravings bad, but they did subside. CBD Tea from Buddhatea (no THC) actually did help me quite a bit. Pure CBD flower usually has at least 0.3% THC, I don't think you'd test positive for THC at that amount but still, they're 5mg a bag, I'd get the chamomile one and did notice it chilled me out. After about 3 months the cravings go away, but trust me I know how you feel.

Think on it, whether you'd rather use cannabis or have this job, because at the end of the day life should be enjoyed. I don't know what state you're in if it's legal or medically legal, I mean I think if you could get it medicinally you'd have an excuse for it in your system but otherwise as long as you don't drive high there shouldn't ever be any issues. I guess I'd be dumb enough to take that chance, to keep getting high but not while on the job. It sounds like you don't get drug tested at least
Great reply. Thanks mate 👌

Im in Australia unfortunatly, well behind America in basically every drug law under the sun.

I'll give Kava ago. Wouldn't mind trying Kratom either, I had a run with poppy seeds a month ago. Found them to be decent, but too much sickness in the guts to persist with it.

Cbd-cbn to help you sleep and stave off the maniac episodes. Work out to burn off stress. Idk I quit pot ages ago. I can't stand myself sober. But it's something I wanted to do.

Now I just annoy myself. Oh and I dream again .

Hey folks, I've read the op and I think I have a similar situation. I don't really see any benefits in my weed smoking and it's a big money sink too, but I keep consuming it despite any logical arguments. Unfortunately cbd and kava are not legal in my country. Are there any other way to get off the broccoli?

I also decided to quit today. I feel like it's just purely out of habit these days like once i'm actually stoned i just feel fuzzy and anti social.

One day sober and my thoughts are much clearer and easier to process. Lungs feel clearer too and the anti social feeling is gone.

I did take 150mg pregablin just cos i couldn't be fucked not being able to sleep, which usually the case trying to quit weed.

I’m 38 and have been smoking weed since 14, daily since around 18. You’d be surprised how easy it is to quit. Finish the weed you have and don’t buy anymore. I like to do sober October so I’m on day 5 of no mind altering substances which for me are weed, alcohol and Kratom. I quit all 3 at once. Just embrace the boredom and enjoy the enhanced dreaming ability. After 7-10 days you balance out and won’t crave it. But be warned that as soon as you get more you will go back to daily smoking.
The clarity of thought after a month of sobriety is a high in itself. I highly recommend it.
As others have mentioned, exercise helps a lot with sleep and just generally feeling better.

But be warned that as soon as you get more you will go back to daily smoking.
Yeah... this is very true. No matter my plans I just go to "all day every day" immidiately once weed is available.
What an insidious drug.