• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Trying to lose weight using adderal

IMO, you should look into more natural options instead of chemicals. Adderall for stuff like this almost never ends up in a happy place. Try a ketogenic diet, someone I know has done it and lost 30 or 40 pounds (i dont remember) in the past several months. It is also very good for you. You should look into it.
Don't do this for weight loss ... that's so unhealthy for you and you will most likely gain a lot back when your off adderal. but it does work for getting rid of hunger...
Agreed

I think your right. I'm not sure though. I don't believe they disclosed which stimulants she was using. She was also clearly abusing them. I haven't had any hallucinations or delusions of grandeur awhile on Adderall. I'm also not an old lady and it is just a movie. Pretty good movie though.

aha i was just using that movie as an example, after all, it is a movie - it's bound to be a bit dramatic and not entirely factual.
still, there is some truth in it, it certainly puts some stress on your body - congrats on the weight loss btw but still, look into healthy alternatives for when/if you stop using amps. ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

I put on a lot of weight very quickly from taking my antidepressants and mood stabilizers all of which had weight gain as a side effect. I was even on adderal for ADD and it didn't do anything to help me lose weight. Well who knows maybe I would have gained even more weight without it.
At my heaviest I was 155 and I'm only 4"11 and my normal adult weight had always been in the 100-105 range. So 50 extra pounds in about six months on a small frame was not good at all and I started to worry about issues like type 2 diabetes which runs in my family. And obviously I didn't enjoy looking almost unrecognizable. I wasn't eating particularly unhealthy other than a fondness for all things carbs but I was eating a lot because I was always hungry. I also didn't drink because I had just gone into recovery from alcoholism which also played a role in the weight gain, I'd spent 28 days in inpatient rehab eating cafeteria style food, being mostly sedentary when before I waited tables and spent all day on my feet in constant go mode, and they loaded us down with snacks and I'd find myself eating out of boredom and drinking coffee loaded with sugar. That's where I put on the first 20 pounds in just a month. Another 30 followed when my doctor got me on an effective medication regimen for my bipolar. So I was sober and sane but fat.
I talked to my doctor and told him my concerns about my weight, I was happy with the meds I was on but couldn't afford to keep gaining weight and the meds made it very hard to lose the weight on my own especially since they made me tired and going for walks in the neighborhood was about all I was up for if I even found the time because I was working two jobs.
He prescribed topamax which is an anti-seizure and migraine preventative that's prescribed off label as an appetite suppressant and often used to treat binge eating disorders. It's not a stimulant but it's not without it's share of side effects, one being brain fog and forgetting words, I swear sometimes it made me sound like a George W. Bush Saturday Night Live sketch. However it's not addictive but it is something you have to taper off to prevent withdrawal.
It curbed my appetetite and also made certain foods unappealing at times. Also an odd side effect is that it makes all carbonated beverages taste flat so it made giving up soda very easy. I still ate meals in decent portions but lost the desire to snack between meals. And things I might normally crave I didn't. It helped me lose 30 pounds in a few months and I went off it still around 20 pounds heavier than my healthy weight but I'd gotten to a point where I could manage my weight with diet and exercise and I'd broken some bad habits while taking the topamax so I made an effort not to go back to those habits like snacking even though I no longer had a pill physically stopping me or drinking soda even though it would taste normal again. So I lost the last 20 pounds by sticking to smaller meals and very little snacking. I ate an obscene amount of spinach and a lot of baby carrots during this time lol. I can't say I did much major exercise beyond walking my dog but I did stay active and spent my work day on my feet.

Yes it's still a drug and it's still got side effects but it's good short term option (after you take it for too long it stops being effective as an appetite suppressant) and safer and less addictive than adderal.
If you're interested in that google it with the words "topamax for weight loss" otherwise you'll probably just see the regular info on it's more common uses.

Also look into vitamin B-12 shots. Weight loss clinics sell them for a fortune but you can get your doctor to prescribe it and then it's covered by insurance. If you're not squeamish you can do the shots yourself at home, you wouldn't need to see a doctor each time you got one.

If you're still set on stimulants adipex and phentermine are weightloss meds and not much different than adderal but you certainly can't take adderal at the same time.