View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Trying shrooms at 15

Accidentallyginger

Greenlighter
Excuse me if I'm bad at introductions. I'm 15 years old, and Im a casual pot smoker. I'm currently interested in trying a hallucinogen such as shrooms and/or LSD. For a while all I wanted to do was smoke weed, but it's become less of an introspective experience lately, and it still makes me feel good but I want a new experience. I've done quite a bit of research on shrooms and I understand set and setting, and I have a great place out in nature to go. And I'm not too worried about bad trips or anything (not that I would know really) im pretty good at thinking myself into feeling the way I want to feel. Now the only thing that worries me is that Ive read about the possibility of having an underlying mental disorder triggered or something that could have a permanent negative impact on my life. I was hoping for some valuable information on the possibility of lasting permanent problems from trying hallucinogens. If you need any info, I have ADHD, which I take medication for, and my grandmother was in an institution for awhile for something I don't know, but no one else in my family has any mental problems. Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant but just in case, sometimes when I smoke a lot of weed in one sitting Im often in a state of derealization (I guess it could be called that) for the next day or sometimes 2 days. I really don't think i have any mental disorders or anything but I still want to be careful and get all the information that I need before trying anything like this. What is my risk factor for permanent mental problems? Should I try shrooms or LSD?

Last edited:
We've noticed on this forum that the risk for negative mental effects from psychedelics seems to be higher for people at your age than for say a 24 year old. To be safe, you should wait until you're older to try psychedelics. It seems like on Bluelight that most of the people who come on here rattled from psychedelics, long term effects, hppd etc, are young, like under 24 years. There might be a higher vulnerability to problems in youth because your mind and self are still developing a lot. This makes sense intuitively, and is borne out in anecdotal evidence on this forum.

Many people on this forum will have started on psychedelics around your age, myself included (mushrooms), for better or for worse. For myself, I didn't see any negative consequences from starting carefully at an early age, but that doesn't mean there were none or that you won't have any.

If you decide you just can't wait until you're an adult or in your 20s, I'd encourage dip your toe in very slowly and very carefully. Limit yourself to VERY occasional usage of very moderate doses. Like once in six months, or once in a year, and don't try to push the dosages up high.

I reckon the derealization you describe from smoking a lot of weed is pretty normal after effects, could just be typical burnout.
I don't think ADHD is a red flag for not doing psychedelics.

Anyways it sounds like you have your head screwed on straight and you're asking the right questions.

15 is too young to be tripping. At least wait one year. If possible wait until you are 18, and don't use psychedelics or all drugs in general too much until you are an adult.

If you worry about derealization/depersonalization talk to a therapist about this, as it could be anxiety or panic related. Good luck.

Well before i discourage you from using LSD. I will say this i have only tried LSD twice both when i was also 15. The first time i dropped one little blue gel tab and tripped all night by myself, i had a blast and it was a great experience to say the least. But as a teenager your brain is still developing and using such a powerful drug like LSD could possibly have negative effects on you. When i did it i felt completely fine after no problems what so ever but i also dont have any severe mental illness's in my family and i have a strong grasp on reality. Just wait man i had plenty of buddys in highschool that did TONS of acid and now there all kinda bugged out and are fucked up. And using a drug like LSD will COMPLETELY alter your state of reality and im sure not alot of 15yr olds could handle such a overwhelming experience.
The real scary part of fucking with psychedelics are a teen are you dont know the long term effects maybe i was lucky but the second time i tripped my buddy flipped out COMPLETELY he was twitching, couldnt talk, didnt know his own name, fuck he was pissing himself and i was very very very concerned because he had a depersonalization episode and it got to the point were he attacked me biting and all and i had to hit him in the face making him unconscious anyway he woke up a hour or two later saying he blacked out hes fine now but the point is you can never know what will happen with ingesting such a drug because once youve done it you cant go back and your gonna have to ride it out. i wish you all the best man.

If you can not pay your own taxes, do not enter the magical mushroom kingdom. seriously, your mind could break and you could never come back. I do not think you are mentally strong enough to handle a wrong turn. about the mental disorder thing, a friend of mine could only find shrooms once. he is 23, bipolar and struggles occasionally with some mild depression. his friend hit him up one weekend and said he found blue shrooms and should come up to college to do them. they did. it was the most magical, happy, fun, trippy experience of his life. he actually had a MAJOR test coming up for school, you should never do shrooms if you have ANY stresses at that time, but he was stubborn because shrooms were impossible to find where he was at. long story short, even with bipolar, depression, and a test to study for, he had a wonderful time, and learned that he was actually at peace with himself. my friend believes that because he faced so many hardships through life, he was mentally strong. however, you on the other hand, most likely have not been through as much as him and could possibly have the most horrific experience of your short life. weed usually helps people with mental disorders, not sure about schizophrenia though. in my friend's case, weed prevented mood swings, eased his anxieties, and made him a friendly, happy person. it never depersonalized him. again, maybe its the age

Wait till you're 21+ mate. May seem a good idea now but will probably affect your brain development, to what extent is unknown, which should put you off! I suggest you watch "Louis Theroux, By Reason of Insanity, Part 1".. this has a man in the documentary who experimented with psychadelics at your age and ended up seriously fucked, can't remember what his problems were but I think he was convinced he was controlling shit telepathically, ended up in the psychiatric ward and on an extreme amount of medication. Just forget about it and wait it out man, you'll probably be freaked by it all at your age anyway.

Last edited:
Hey kid :) As you notice we're a friendly bunch here, looking after your wellbeing not trying to be dicks about it. I'm saying kid not to patronize you, at 42 I could be your dad so, kid it is, no disrespect intended.

15 is rather young to start using psychedelics. At your age you are forming the personality you will have all your life. Using psychedelics at this point can adversely affect this development. It can also be detrimental to your studying. Psychedelics can be very fascinating and this can throw your life off course to center around the drug. Pot can do this too, but psychelics can be much more fascinating. Its really best to wait till you are 18, also so that you are legally responsible for your own actions.

But you have your drive, you are king (well, prince) of your own universe so if you're gonna do it despite all our well meaning advice, here is some pointers to keep you safe.

First off, the drug. Its much better to start with shrooms than LSD. LSD lasts twice as long and that means that if you have a horrid experience it can go twice as wrong. Shrooms are also not contaminated with dangerous drugs like some doses of LSD are (NBOMe drugs) so they are easier to manage. To give you dosage advice, since you're still developing its best to take lower doses than adults. If you are small for your age, think 0.5-1 gr, normal size about 1 gram and if you're big for your age 1-1.5gr. If you are easily scared, take less. If you are brave, you can get away with taking more. Your biggest enemies are fear and doubt. Its them that can turn a trip into a "bad trip". Be brave.

Second, the time and place. You are a kid so your life is being managed. School, parents.. Itsa best for shrooms to have at least 6-8 hours by yourself to do it. Be in a comfortable place where you can be alone or better, with a trusted friend who can reassure you if you get scared. Even guys my age with 21 years of tripping experience can get scared and may need reassurance, so I too often make sure I have a guide. Don't do it around people. NEVER EVER DO IT AT SCHOOL.

Whatever you do.. We advise you to wait, but, have fun and be safe.

Take care and don't do dumb stuff *smiles*

Thanks for all of the advice, I think you're right im going to hold off for a bit. If o do decide to try it I do have an experienced friend to sit with me and a nice setting. But I appreciate all of the help, I'll wait

That's a very mature decision you've made there. Lotta respect. Most youth are hellbent on doing them.

I first did LSD at 17 and it's helped me greatly with my struggle to come off the hedonistic drugs I was doing.

I'm 18 now and I'll never regret it as it brought me closer to god etc.

I have friends who started out with shrooms at your age and none of them I can say are NOT lost degenerates. I however do not believe the shrooms did it rather their preferred lifestyle.

I can see how the psychedelics heavily affect one's personality as it did mine. But it's not always for the worse. Even after your brain is fully developed they can throw you off course.

Respect

I'm going to have to agree with everyone here recommending 18 as the minimum age for tripping.

Admittedly it's a bit hypocritical, as I first tripped on LSD when I was fourteen, and things turned out O.K. for me. However, in retrospect, my young mind was not fully ready to appreciate or handle the drug, especially considering that I jumped straight into the deep end and took quite a bit of acid. LSD made me fairly manic at that age.

But, then again, would I have had the same "learning curve" had I waited until I was 18? And, just because psychedelics were more difficult for me to handle and integrate when I was fourteen, were they dangerous, or just harmless teenage stupidity? I don't know the answers to these questions, and nobody does, until more formal psychedelic research is conducted.

In conclusion, I'm guessing that you will get a lot more out of psychedelics, and you'll be less prone to bad trips if you wait until you're 18. But if you insist, proceed cautiously, begin with low doses, and trip in a safe and comfortable environment.

I think 18-21 is a good age to wait for all psychoactives, not just psychedelics but even weed and all the fancy new thc products. What's is gonna hurt to wait? Nothing. Another thing to consider is family health history. If you have any psychiatric disorders in your genetics you may be predisposed to developing those conditions. I didn't do an intoxicant at all until college and ive noticed a lot of personality differences between those who start using psychoactives early vs later. Brains not fully done til mid twenties, but who's gonna wait for that?

No matter what be safe and be smart
❤️

Don't listen to the others here. They don't know what they are talking about. The effect of psychedelics are not effected by age. If you want to trip, do it. I would also recommend stopping using all cannabinoids, but you should at least switch to using pure cannabinoid powders instead of that dangerous weed. Using pure THC or another cannabinoid is much safer than doing marihuana.

I'd say go for it but really be sure you're comfortable and stuff. I had some good times tripping during the summers of high school when I had a lot more free time. It felt great like shedding all the stress of the year. It is inexplicably different than weed, though.

While tripping out in nature can be awesome, I often, especially on mushrooms, need to lay down and have some alone time. If you're out in nature this might mean having a tent or sleeping bag (whatever would be comfortable for you outside, not sure if you're a wilderness explorer who can sleep on top of a pine tree). You'd also probably want plenty of water and maybe some snacks. I'm more of a homebody so you may be different.

As for the health effects, I don't have any info. Little research has been done so it is a risk; intuitively the "developing brain" argument makes sense to me but [citation needed]. I'd go for a low dose. It's a really different experience than a high dose. There's a low dose LSD thread somewhere out there.

all the best.