• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Trouble with partner & in-laws -? what caused it ; what resolved it.

TheUltimateFixx

Bluelighter
I'm at a total loss right now. It's like the perfect nightmare. I have got to the point where I do not want to spend time alone with either of them, because all I'm gonna hear is horrible remarks about each other. The huge irony is that 'on paper' they should have got on famously. Matching sense of humour, similar politics and all that. Didn't work out. But we don't have the money to allow us to just split. We have to co-exist for another few months at least. Any advice?

what's the issue? you and your partner live with your parents? their parents?

what caused it?

alasdair

are you beyond the point where you can sit down and a "we have to live together so how do we make this work" talk?

alasdair

sorry to hear that.

i think you have little choice but to limit your exposure. stay out of the house as much as possible, stay in your room when you are there, etc.

you need to plan and execute to move out asap.

good luck.

alasdair

The thing is I was already mentally on my last reserves a couple years ago when I first brought him over. I had spent 2020 terrified he was gonna die of corona (he worked in the health service back then and has a chronic lung condition), then spent 2021 fearing he was gonna commit suicide (he has untreated schizoaffective disorder, PTSD and depression and had a major mental breakdown that year).

My own mental health was hanging by a thread and finally getting him physically to Wales was SUPPOSED to be the start of a better life together. I didn't really have the personal or material resources to go beyond that. Yeah it was a naive expectation maybe but my life has been such a spectacular shit show I allowed myself to hope I was gonna catch a break. Stuff was just supposed to fucking WORK OUT for one single time in my life ffs.

... Now we're on the 2nd try and it's worse than before. It's a major clash of personalities. My mother feels like she's being invaded in her own home by his mere presence in it, and my man feels like he has to have a hand-written notice in triplicate just to breathe around her. I sacrificed everything to get to this point and where I'm at is a nightmare.

so, you're not champing at the bit to attempt similar again in a hurry?
Am attempting right now...

I mean here we have a house with a fully-paid mortgage in a safe environment. Over there we have an illegally built shack on a shared property where the ground is subsiding and the roof is being eaten by termites, where neither of us have a reasonable future, and it's not safe for me as a visible foreigner to even go down the road to the supermarket in broad daylight...

# sigh #

sounds pretty clear, but tis easy to say from the outside eh

good luck!

edit - I've got it - send mum to Brazil (with a nice few quid to sweeten the deal

edit - or, seriously how about some family therapy? if all buy into it then it could help

edit - I've got it - send mum to Brazil (with a nice few quid to sweeten the deal
She's an elderly bourgeois German woman and would die of culture shock just finding out there's no hot running water in the kitchens of ordinary people (tbh I nearly did as well Xd).
Being confronted with my father-in-laws hairy, bearded, beer-bellied, tattooed self in shorts and flip-flops plus chainlink necklace would completely finish her off 😆
edit - or, seriously how about some family therapy? if all buy into it then it could help
I've actually considered that.