• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tripping out when i try to sleep on oxycodone ??

The OP never confirmed which one it is... I know it is probably oxycodone, but my point being is using drug slang that differs from location to location and person to person makes it difficult to give them a clear answer to their question. I am not "demonizing" oxy specifically, but just trying to get the OP to realize they should use the full name rather than slang. If I am not mistaken using slang was not encouraged as it causes confusion. If I am wrong about whether the board encourages slang or not than I am wrong, but my point still stands that using slang creates confusion when it is not so hard to type codone or morphone after the oxy.... Just sayin'

Edit: Also as far as "zannex" I think it is not as bad as it is just a misspelling of the name, which could be due to ignorance or slang. Just to add though I also hate as I knew someone who went straight downhill on the path of uppers and downers who started tagging this.

Calling them bars or klonopin as "klonkers" would be valid for my point as it is not a clear slang that sounds similar enough to the original compounds name.

Edit 2: Wait,... I did not remember the OP used the work "oxycodone" in the thread title... My bad... Still would lead to less confusion if they where not to lazy to say oxycodone in the title and the thread body...

Last edited:
Edit: Tentram stop telling everyone that oxycodone has no relation to codeine as well as oxymorphone to morphine... They are related compounds... While pharmaceutical companies usually produce it from thebaine containing poppies as those are easier to grow in mass without opium being leaked into the black market to be converted into heroin. Morphine and codeine can be converted into their hydro and oxy counterparts... Stop spreading misinformation.

ummm lol ok guy, point out to me where i keep telling everyone oxycodone has no relation to codeine, oxymorphone and morphine? whatever you're butt hurt from, get over it.

what misinformation am i spreading? you're lacking citations, guy.

oh, i see, i said they're different alkaloids, which they are...

Seriously why is everyone fighting me on this? I am just trying to tell the OP to not use slang and use the full chemical name.... Especially when he is using something that can easily refer to 2 different compounds. Really people here are just freaking retarded... I don't even know why I try anymore at this point...

Edit: It also may be use for recreational use, but it is a VERY stupid and irresponsible choice of recreational drug to use to do the fact it can easily lead to harm... I think for a harm reduction board this fact should be VERY stressed to reduce harm and not to make dangerous compounds look like a fun high when there are much better things such as cannabis for recreational use. Seriously all these childish desires to just do drugs to make yourself happy is why we have the drug wars...

wow, people have different opinions to yourself. welcome to the real world. get used to it, sugar.

cannabis (carcinogenic for one) isn't exactly a benign drug and harmless as you're trying to portray. most opioids are, very generally speaking, much more benign in terms of health problems associated with long term use in particular - yes i realise they're habit forming and cause overdoses but i've never heard a report of someone becoming mentally iill from popping the occasional opioid pill, whatever class it belongs to. i've never heard of an opioid which can make people with pre-existing mental health issues being revealed and further exacerbating said illness after popping a pill or two whereas cannabis will likely exacerbate symptoms of pre-existing conditions. you've obviously a bias against opioids so take it somewhere else, hypocrite. big whoop, people like different drugs to yourself. who'da thunk?

go over to CD and you can rant and rave with all those over who there who share similar views that cannabis is not a harmful drug at all and praise it as the answer to everything. you're clearly getting your wires crossed and have skewed views.

take the holier than though attitude elsewhere, you're not fooling anyone here, mate. you probably should give up, i wouldn't miss your skewed views. "don't you dare promote that you like opioids, but i'm allowed to praise the cannabis lord" *rolls my eyes*

Last edited:
Whenever i do an opiate late and then try to go to sleep, i fall into this trippy state where i start panicking and gettin scared. Happens always with oxycodone.... when i try to go to sleep i get all tripped out and shit and go into wierd dream states.

Why are so many people in this thread saying this is "nodding"?!? Nodding is simply slipping in and out of consciousness unintentionally. Named so by the nodding of the head as the opioid user falls asleep when they are in an upright position. I have certainly never panicked or got "all tripped out" while nodding. And if a person is deliberately in bed trying to fall asleep how is it nodding? Usually with nodding IME you are woken up by the fact that you are standing or sitting and your head nods forward or lolls to the side. The same thing can happen in the absence of opioids (people in boring meetings or on planes comes to mind, and I've heard it described as "nodding" or "nodding off" by people who were definitely not referring to a drug-induced nod)

I just don't think nodding is synonymous with "weird dream states", "trippy states" or "panic". You can have weird dreams etc while nodding, but it is not a criteria of nodding, nor do these things in and of themselves inherently imply nodding. For me, nodding almost always involved just temporarily going unconcious and then waking up not even really realizing I'd been asleep, like doing some dope and waking up crumpled on the bathroom floor, talking on the phone with someone and having them say I was silent for like 2 minutes, watching friends eyes close and heads droop in the middle of conversations, etc.

Anyway, I have had something sort of similar to what I think the OP may be describing happen to me before, especially on more stimulating opioids. My theory is lying in bed in silence makes you start noticing things that you otherwise don't notice, like your breathing, heartbeat etc, which can cause fear because you know you've taken a drug, plus you can fall into weird dreams and have difficulty getting properly into lasting sleep. I rarely noticed this (clarification: meaning the anxiety/ trouble sleeping - I've had pleasant trance states/dreams) happening to me on more sedating opioids like heroin, morphine or hydromorphone though. More with codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, etc. But that's just my personal experience - I have heard of some people having trouble sleeping, intense dreams, and/or anxiety on a variety of opioids. It seems to depend on the person, the opioid, the situation, and how close to bedtime you used the drug.

Last edited:
Nothing even compares to the almost psychedelic experiences I've had with opium.

But yeah, nodding is not synonymous with morphine dreams, I agree with swimmingdancer. I've only rarely experienced this phenomenon with pharmaceutical opioids, I think some opioids are more likely than others to induce these trance-like states.

I actually find some opioids good for deliberately inducing lucid dreams. Something I miss.

Maybe the OP could try going with the flow and turning it into something enjoyable instead of getting anxious about it? Or, of course, not using oxy close to bedtime.

Morphine is alot more likely to produce these sorts of experiences than Oxy for me. Count Heroin with that too. It used to get very trippy sometimes on the poppy tea.

cannabis (carcinogenic for one) isn't exactly a benign drug and harmless as you're trying to portray. most opioids are, very generally speaking, much more benign in terms of health problems associated with long term use in particular - yes i realise they're habit forming and cause overdoses but i've never heard a report of someone becoming mentally iill from popping the occasional opioid pill, whatever class it belongs to. i've never heard of an opioid which can make people with pre-existing mental health issues being revealed and further exacerbating said illness after popping a pill or two whereas cannabis will likely exacerbate symptoms of pre-existing conditions. you've obviously a bias against opioids so take it somewhere else, hypocrite. big whoop, people like different drugs to yourself. who'da thunk?

Way to defend your opiate use... I do not try to defend mine except by saying that I have back pain that leads me to need 2+ grams of cannabis a day unless I use them.... W/E though...

Also cannabis does not just have to be smoked.... You can make a tincture,.... You can make a salve,.... You can make edibles,... Hell you can eat a raw uncured bud every day and help fight strokes according to one doctor... Jus' Saying.

Edit:
I actually find some opioids good for deliberately inducing lucid dreams. Something I miss.

Maybe the OP could try going with the flow and turning it into something enjoyable instead of getting anxious about it? Or, of course, not using oxy close to bedtime.

I totally agree go with the flow... Sometimes dreams are scary, but that is because you are hiding something scary deep down in your subconscious/unconscious mind to prevent having to face it. It's all good as long as you sleep and wake up right?

Wow did noone seriously notice that the guy asking whether oxy is an rc or pharm was just joking... Lol guys

This is news to me

Almost seems like Kappa receptors are more stimulated that Mu and Delta during these experiences

This used to always happen to me on heroin.. For some reason, possibly tolerance :/, I don't get it anymore. For me I would experience the usual warmth associated with opiates, and when I'd lay down to bed, right as I'd begin to drift off into sleep, I'd jerk back up in a panic. It often felt as if I was experiencing a sense of inevitable doom.. Like I knew something really sick and disturbing was going to happen. Sometimes I would even hear strange screams or sense that there was some kind of ghoul in my room.. I don't know what the cause is, the way I'm describing all this would make one think shooting dope was a terrifying experience, but after coming out of these weird states of panic, Id slip back into that morphine induced fog that makes it all seem okay.

This is exactly it....lool

Idk i know one time i snorted some dilaudid at about 2am... stayed up till about 5, decided to get an hour or two of shut eye, closed my eyes feelin good, but when i started to slip into sleep i jerked like something starteled me...happend a few times.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a nod either, because i wasn't like THAT fucked up, id had about 4mgs and i was on the comedown, and i wasn't having CEV's...maybe i stopped breathing or something because i took some benzo's with it too.

It happened to me on like some other drug(maybe hydrocodone) i think dilaudid and hydros dont have as good a nod as codeine, morphine, or oxy or something.

I haven't caught a nod in the LONGEST fucking time. It's weird because 4mg dilaudid will give me a great buzz, but i know my tolerance isn't high enough to need more than that to nod, but it's like hard to nod sometimes if i don't take some other downers iwith it.

opiates used to make me more tired, but they recently have been very stimulating

Sounds like a hypnagogic jerk, also known as a hypnic jerk. It's a a jerk which occurs during hypnagogia - the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep - just as you are beginning to fall asleep, often causing you to suddenly awaken (sometimes just for a moment). Hypnogogic jerks feel like the jump you would feel/have when startled, and can be accompanied by a falling sensation. They tend to happen more when you've taken drugs or have an irregular sleep schedule. Opioids are known for this. Since opioids can put you in a hynagogic state, it makes sense to me that they would increase hynagogic jerks.

The more you worry about it, the more it can happen. The occurrence of hypnagogic jerks can become cyclical because, "If you lose sleep because you constantly jerk awake, you will become fatigued and may develop anxiety or worry about falling asleep. The more worried and tired you are, the more likely you are to jerk awake. The more you jerk awake, the more sleep you lose." (according to the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Sleep Disorders Center).

ETA: Check out Hypnogogia on Wikipedia for more info on the weird dreams that can happen in a hypnogogic state.

Last edited:
Sounds like a hypnagogic jerk, also known as a hypnic jerk. It's a a jerk which occurs during hypnagogia - the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep - just as you are beginning to fall asleep, often causing you to suddenly awaken (sometimes just for a moment). Hypnogogic jerks feel like the jump you would feel/have when startled, and can be accompanied by a falling sensation. They tend to happen more when you've taken drugs or have an irregular sleep schedule. Opioids are known for this. Since opioids can put you in a hynagogic state, it makes sense to me that they would increase hynagogic jerks.

The more you worry about it, the more it can happen. The occurrence of hypnagogic jerks can become cyclical because, "If you lose sleep because you constantly jerk awake, you will become fatigued and may develop anxiety or worry about falling asleep. The more worried and tired you are, the more likely you are to jerk awake. The more you jerk awake, the more sleep you lose." (according to the Lawrence Memorial Hospital Sleep Disorders Center).

ETA: Check out Hypnogogia on Wikipedia for more info on the weird dreams that can happen in a hypnogogic state.

Thank you Swimmingdancer! I have experienced this, seen it, and always wondered what it was. You are absolutely correct about the worrying part. I noticed that I used to obsess over this and it would happen more and more often, leading to loss of sleep. I was always afraid that it was me like almost dying, as I was about to drift off, which made me terrified of sleeping on my meds. After a while, I finally told myself, "fuck it, if I go, I go." Pretty soon, that jerking shit stopped... It was like a wonderful, mysterious, resolution. Now, the mystery is gone, and I understand how and why they ceased.

Thank you soooo much Swimmingdancer, this really helps me understand why and how... BTW, I don't hardly ever have those horrific jerks, and now that I know more about them, they should occur even less!!!

You rock, right on my friend! 8o

Funny thing is i kind of am the opposite now, i just love sinking into my bed waiting to fall asleep when iam on opiates..
At first it was trippy and id get panicky and whatever, now its one of the most relaxing things ever and i seem to wake up very refreshed ( probably because i fall asleep quickly and get a nice sleep)

heyy yeah i know exactly what you mean buy the jerk thing..u explained it perfect..but now i dont really get it anymore....fortunately..lol

Call me crazy but I snort a fat gagger line of Hydromorphone like LEGIT jumping into the covers with the drip running down my throat as I pass out at the peak of the high lol. Neeedless to say what happens when I wake up.... Shit is always intense. I think sitting in bed with I.V. would be nutz similar to cancer patients or some.