• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trimethylaminuria - Why do people treat me badly just cause I smell like feces?

^great advice.

I was picked on for a while in high school since I wasn't very social, was heavily into political activism and dressed differently. Most people didn't really care but this one huge football player got his jollies on humiliating me in front of people every morning and one day I reached a breaking point.

I started loudly psychoanalyzing what must be wrong with him to feel the need to do this to someone (as well as commented on his relatively miniature manhood... a safe bet I felt) and when he kept trying to attack me I preempted him by saying the same things about myself before he could so he had no comebacks and just thoroughly looked like both an asshole and a complete moron because he couldn't reciprocate the humiliation in that situation. He was completely taken aback and never said a word to me again.

People don't expect a response and you can certainly turn the tables on people. As this board demonstrates, if most people knew what you have to go through and that this problem is out of your control, they are not going to attack you but likely feel empathetic or sympathetic.

If someone is attacking you, embarrass them. If you can, say something like, "I know what I smell like and I can not do anything about it. Do you know how big of an asshole humiliating me for that makes you? Can YOU do anything about THAT problem?"

I know how difficult doing this was initially for me and I can only imagine how hard it would be for you but I want you to know that you do not have to and should not take this. These people treating you like this are wrong and you should make sure everyone around knows that.

hi jackie chan ... how are you my friend
I had the same situation .... but the life with me is so much harder than you ( that`s why I completly fell you ) because i `m living in a 3th world country ( with no knowledge at all )
so what happen with you is 1% of what I saw every day ... my case is very complicated to .... the odor can discharge 50 m .... and more .... at least you can stay at home .... but that is so hard for me to... cause I became the clown of all houses around me .... talking all day , laughing , screaming ... the all children to ... down of my house a place for weeding and parties etc... ( I think you imagined what people do there ) ... it`s . publical . my friend
more?? alright you can`t directly open your mouse ... why ???
cause I need 200 mouses to start talking with 200 one that already don`t understand a shit...
Solution????
yea yea of course I have one ,,,
help poor people as much as you can
give them some of your things
not just like that no
give it to them with a special way
smile at them spent sometime with them
make them happy
make them feel you are poor man to
listen to them
give them a feeling of friendship
I SWEAR TO YOU
YOU WILL FEEL BETTER ( note : i am just 23 years old )
but think about it for a while : we are for that we are just 600000 person in this world and we are here for that
I forget something try to leave drugs , alchool , cigarets as much as you can
and try sport ,,,, it makes some difference

Additionally, at least one study[7] has suggested that daily intake of the supplements activated charcoal and/or copper chlorophyllin may improve the quality of life of individuals afflicted with TMAU by helping their bodies to oxidize and convert TMA to the odorless N-oxide (TMAO) metabolite. Study participants experienced subjective reduction in odor as well as objective reduction in TMA and increase in TMAO concentration measured in their urine. The study's success rates varied:
85% of test participants experienced complete loss of detectable "fishy" odor
10% experienced some reduction in detectable odor
5% did not experience any detectable odor reduction

I'm sure you've tried this?

we are homiez

"I am he as your are he as you are me and we are all together"

-the Beatles

I'm not just your friend, i'm your brother :) (you too islam1500000!)

all I can say is keep trying for a solution, and keep looking for truly good people to be friends with - eventually friendship and love will come your way. In a way it might even be a small blessing - you'll have the benefit of knowing that in present, or towards the end of your years that the people who stuck with you were truly worth keeping around.

peace and love brother

-kAir0s

I feel for you. I can't imagine how hard it is to deal with your condition and how other people treat you. I have PTSD and some other psychiatric conditions going on, and it disables me a lot. Sometimes I can leave my house and sometimes I can't. There are a few people I have had great friendships with that I can say, look it's not you, I'm just depressed as fuck and that's why I didn't answer the phone for a week... things like that. Now you have a different problem altogether.

People tend to judge quickly and the ones who keep an open mind will look beyond certain things if you're a good person who they have a good time with. So yeah, you will find friends.

I would also suggest therapy like some others have, especially to improve your self esteem so that other's making fun of you doesn't hurt you so much. They are horrible for doing it, but until they find a cure for your disease, this will most likely continue happening.

I would be your friend so long as we got along and impacted each other in a positive way.

Kair0s
Lasthurrah19
although many words can cause a lot of pain , there is just one word that can make you forget a lot of them
all I am sure about right now that we are all here in that forum friends forever
cause we are here to share movies or music
we are sharing our lives
sharing things we can`t share with people we meet every day
so I believe that one day we will meet together
telling each other :
how we ` ve learned things everyday that others can take years to learn
we `ve seen things that others can spend all their lives and don`t see it at all
we`ve known what their lips said without hearing the words
that we don`t hate them after all , we just see their behavior inhumane and that`s so bad for them more than it`s bad for us
we are not sad from them as much as we are sad for them
sad for their children who still learning that behavior everyday
that we are stronger
may be we don`t learn from other people , street , work
but we are learning everyday from our pains
and that`s what make us all stronger
( and if we will have the chance to have children) that`s what will give them the chance to learn the true meaning of the words
HELP
UNABLE
HUMANITY
yes we are sick
yes we smell bad
but when we will meet we will discover that
although life was unfair sad and dark , it left for us a little beautiful light we can share with the next generation ...

my facebook [removed link]

and sorry for my bad english

[Mod note- it is advised that you do not give out personal info such as your real name, which can easily be found on facebook -fizzle]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Bluelight, islam1500000. :)

However, I'm afraid links to any kind of personal or potentially incrinimating info is strictly forbidden here @ Bluelight.

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the search engine, and the Bluelight FAQ. There also can be found a thread(usually at the top of the page) with the forum regulations & guidelines specific to the forum you are currently browsing.
Your post has been reported to the appropriate Staff members, but if you remove any links to myspace/facebook/twitter/whateverthefuck then should be fine. :)

Last edited:
oh .. i am so sorry Lasthurrah19
thanks god you don`t have that
and thank you for supporting us
although ( love ,feel , respect , helping others , accept their friendship whatever their case )
but after all that
THAT `S the Humanitarian I am talking about
but Unfortunately you are making sad now cause I only found this behavior on the web;);););)
but
I am always asking myself a question that is driving me crazy
If I were a normal person ( sure ) would I act the same behavior you are doing with us now ????
or
would I be inhumane too?????
just before I reach hatred and Disgust toward anyone one , I ask myself this question
but Unfortunately I will never have an answer:\:\
and for your conditions please try sport as much as you can ( running 1 0r half for exemple )
it makes a very big difference with me so better than antibio and Sedatives
and whatever you are different try to deal with people around you
you will not feel so better but no other way ( just life )

Kair0s
Lasthurrah19
although many words can cause a lot of pain , there is just one word that can make you forget a lot of them
all I am sure about right now that we are all here in that forum friends forever
cause we are here to share movies or music
we are sharing our lives
sharing things we can`t share with people we meet every day
so I believe that one day we will meet together
telling each other :
how we ` ve learned things everyday that others can take years to learn
we `ve seen things that others can spend all their lives and don`t see it at all
we`ve known what their lips said without hearing the words
that we don`t hate them after all , we just see their behavior inhumane and that`s so bad for them more than it`s bad for us
we are not sad from them as much as we are sad for them
sad for their children who still learning that behavior everyday
that we are stronger
may be we don`t learn from other people , street , work
but we are learning everyday from our pains
and that`s what make us all stronger
( and if we will have the chance to have children) that`s what will give them the chance to learn the true meaning of the words
HELP
UNABLE
HUMANITY
yes we are sick
yes we smell bad
but when we will meet we will discover that
although life was unfair sad and dark , it left for us a little beautiful light we can share with the next generation ...

<snipped facebok link>

and sorry for my bad english

islam1500000, very poetic and true words indeed. I think your language limitation adds some charm to it, too. Be well.

Islam1500000, thanks for your posts. I'm the same age as you, but when I read what you wrote I can tell that you're a better person than I am. Reading it made me feel better about things so thanks and I wish I read it sooner.

I'm from a upper middle class family, my parents are really supportive and caring, my brother too, and I'm still not very appreciative of anything in my life.

I lost part of my sanity over the holidays. After new years I was acting so weird that my parents and my brother had to have a talk with me about things. I HATE how I am now. I don't think I'll ever be the same person I was last summer. I FUCKING WISH I could just erase all the bad memories in my head and become the person I was in July again, but that's impossible.

One of the things that really destroyed me mentally was I attempted to volunteer with a Christian organization in Asia. I travelled all the way around the world and thought I could just leave all the negative things in my life behind, make a new beginning and do something positive. I thought getting a chance to do some travelling would be cool because before last summer I'd never been away from home. My parents were going to support me financially because I wasn't going to get paid for the work and they even gave money to the charity I was going to help.

When I spoke with them over the phone about coming over and volunteering they really liked me. I told them I wanted to travel and at the same time help people who were worse off than me. I had to get a police check, and they knew I had NO criminal background. When I got there one of the people I talked to a lot over the phone before I left said he was HORRIFIED when he met me. Most of them were from Australia and New Zealand and they were such MAJOR FUCKING ASSHOLES.

Sometimes I think I'm way too sensitive to how people react because before this when I would try to work at actual jobs, I would never stay at one place for long. I couldn't take how people treated me. Even at University I dropped out of the program I was in and completed a shitty 3-year degree online because I couldn't take how people were. I was stupid to think volunteering would work out, but I really thought that being around Christians I would be more accepted but that didn't happen. They thought such awful things about me and I pretended the whole time I didn't notice the reactions because it was SO humiliating. They always made looks of disgust and would say things like 'not good' to each other when I was around, and the whole time they thought I DIDN'T KNOW I smelled bad.

I wish I was less passive about it like Cane2theLeft suggested, especially when I was at University before dropping out or during the short periods of time I was working. I think if I was less passive, things would be different in my life right now.

Islam1500000, thanks again for your posts, I know I have to change my current mindset on life.

I'm sure you've tried this?

I take activated charcoal throughout the day, but one thing I find that helps the most is taking large amounts of probiotics with every meal. These things make me smell less bad when I sweat, but the odour is always there when I sweat.

But the thing is, being anxious about it makes it so much worse because I get really nervous sometimes when I'm around people and that makes me sweat a lot. It's like, I'm afraid I'm going to smell bad, then I get anxious, then I sweat more and smell worse. I know if I can stop feeling anxiety about it, it wouldn't be so bad. But whenever I see someone reacting negatively to me, I get such bad anxiety and that makes it worse.

I think Islam1500000 will understand what I mean about anxiety being a huge trigger of the odour.

Jackie, this is a hard situation. I can't imagine how much this condition effects your life. I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Have you had any therapy? If you get a good therapist you could potentially get a lot of help with how to deal with all this.

I can also relate to the cycle of anxiety making you sweat more, and then being self conscious about that making you more anxious, etc. There has to be some means to stop this, whether you can learn techniques to halt the anxiety or through medication.

Best wishes, things will get better.

I take activated charcoal throughout the day, but one thing I find that helps the most is taking large amounts of probiotics with every meal. These things make me smell less bad when I sweat, but the odour is always there when I sweat.

But the thing is, being anxious about it makes it so much worse because I get really nervous sometimes when I'm around people and that makes me sweat a lot. It's like, I'm afraid I'm going to smell bad, then I get anxious, then I sweat more and smell worse. I know if I can stop feeling anxiety about it, it wouldn't be so bad. But whenever I see someone reacting negatively to me, I get such bad anxiety and that makes it worse.

I think Islam1500000 will understand what I mean about anxiety being a huge trigger of the odour.

There are lots of anxiolytics out there that may be worth pursuing. Aside from just that, the antihypertensive medication clonidine is used off-label for both anxiety as well as sleep hyperhydrosis (sweating). This drug can reduce the anxiety as well as the subsequent sweating. Its not a drug of abuse and doctors are usually willing to prescribe it for indications such as general or performance anxiety (e.g. speaking in public).

I used to have an issue with performance anxiety when I had to speak in public and this would cause my to sweat and become very shaky. I started taking beta blockers (specifically propanolol) when I had to give speeches and this completely stopped the sweating and shaking in their tracks.

There are lots of anxiolytics out there that may be worth pursuing. Aside from just that, the antihypertensive medication clonidine is used off-label for both anxiety as well as sleep hyperhydrosis (sweating). This drug can reduce the anxiety as well as the subsequent sweating. Its not a drug of abuse and doctors are usually willing to prescribe it for indications such as general or performance anxiety (e.g. speaking in public).

I used to have an issue with performance anxiety when I had to speak in public and this would cause my to sweat and become very shaky. I started taking beta blockers (specifically propanolol) when I had to give speeches and this completely stopped the sweating and shaking in their tracks.

Thanks! I'll ask my doctor about these things. Right now I take lorazepam for anxiety and it's such a huge help, but I dont take it all the time. I haven't taken it since Friday, and I'll wait until the weekend to take it again because I have to go to an engagement party for someone. Just one 2mg lorazepam makes such a huge difference, but it's too bad it's so bad for you. I thought for a while I would try to deal with this without any drugs but I just can't do that at the moment. In the long run that's my ultimate goal.

Opiates also help me so much with sweating and anxiety but my doctor said he can't give them. 90mg of codeine in the morning and then another 90mg sometime in the afternoon makes such a difference for me. I even asked my doctor one time if he could give opiates for a week then benzos for a week and if I could alternate between the two each week so I won't become physically dependent on either. I don't get why benzos are ok and opiates aren't. In Vietnam they sell codeine pills without a script that don't have any bad stuff in them and I never abused them or became physically dependent on them. I don't get why a country like Vietnam that's so harsh on drugs will sell those kind of pills everywhere and a country like Canada won't.

I’m doing well. I got my doctor to make a referral for some counseling which I’m going to start in a couple weeks. He said he didn’t want to get me started on any new medicines until after I start counseling. I’d like to say I’m not fucking around with drugs anymore, but it’s nothing too out of control at the moment. I think without occasional drug use I might die of boredom.

Since I got back from Asia I haven’t really been doing anything with my life. I live with my parents and have no job. But instead of continuing to feel bad about the situation, I’ve kind of embraced it and I’m starting to enjoy not having any responsibilities. I’ve come to realize there’s really no sense in being upset about some of the things that have happened. Getting myself to change how I feel about the whole situation has made such a difference. I'm definitely doing a lot better emotionally.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, if I didn’t have this condition I probably wouldn’t have much empathy for someone who did. I keep reminding myself of this whenever I’m feeling upset about how people treated me. I know how uncomfortable it must make people and they probably just think it’s to do with bad hygiene.

I’ve also started looking for a job. I’m looking for something where I won’t have to be around people too much. That’s not to say I don’t want to be around people. I’m really not sure what do in the future career wise.
I think once I go through counseling it’ll be easier for me to put myself out there again.

Right now even though I’ve kind of withdrawn from the world, I’m happy. I know I’m not going to stay like this forever.

^that's really great to hear!

You should be proud both that you're looking on the bright side and that you're pursuing a healthy way to deal with this via counseling rather than numbing the pain with self-destructive actions.

Last edited:
Thanks. It’s amazing how just changing the way you look at things in your life can have such a positive effect on your emotional wellbeing.

I also haven’t taken any mdma in the past 2 months, and haven’t smoked crack since around a month ago. I’m sure abstaining from those things has also had an effect on improving my mental state. Even though I’ve still been fucking around with stuff like alcohol, codeine, benzos and weed, I haven’t really been getting high more than 2 or 3 times a week.

I was thinking about trying mephedrone but I don’t think I will. Given how I didn’t have much self control when it came to mdma, I know it probably wouldn’t be a very good idea for me to get started with meph.

The only thing I really need to figure out now is what to do with my life.

I really think the counseling will be beneficial in that regard. I suspect that all you've had to deal with throughout your life has made it more difficult for you to be able to truly get to know who you are as a person and without that, how can you know what you want out of life?

I would never compare my situation to yours but I certainly see some parallels... I have chronic pain from nerve damage in one leg and when it first happened (almost exactly 5 years ago), I had to quit my job, leave the university I was at, it destroyed the 3+ year relationship I was in, etc.

I then spent ~2 years focusing on how much having pain sucked, how scary the thought of forever being in pain was and so forth. Eventually with a little help, I decided that I was going to stop focusing on how much I hated my situation and what I was missing out on and instead focus on what I still have and where I want to go.

Since then, I've gotten myself on a solid educational and career path and instead of spending every day thinking about how miserable I am, I'm actually thankful that what I've been through has led me to where I am now.

There is ALWAYS reason to have hope and seeing the power that accepting this had on my life is what inspired me to try to help people who want to get clean.

Know what u r going thru

Hi Jackie.
Just to say that I am unfortunately suffering from the same problem as you are as regards smelling of feces and stuff. Not certain is it tmau yet but should hopefully get tested soon. Can empathise with everything you said here.
Anyway just wanted to let you know about another forum I think you would find really useful. No disrepect to this website which is awesome but this other site deals specifically with our problem. It's called bodyodorsupport.com . There is a section there deling with tmau even though the whole thing is worth reading. You will get lots of useful advice there; especially there is this one poster called mpdela who because she and her two sons suffer from tmau has become a total expert on this. If you read a lot of her posts I promise your knowledge about tmau will increase expotenially. e.g. - http://www.bodyodorsupport.com/showthread.php?t=5556&highlight=protocol
Also what I found really helps me is by going through the posts I get some comfort that I'm not the only one going through this problem. In fact some on the site orangise meet-ups and get togethers even though I haven't gone on them myself yet.
Anyway hope this might be useful to you, peace.