• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trimethylaminuria - Why do people treat me badly just cause I smell like feces?

Bad body odor

I wipe myself thoroughly and properly after relieving myself in the washroom, but for the past month I smell a bad odor coming from behind, is there any drug/medications that will stop this? Thanks :)

I think it's almost definite that you're trolling and being immature but on the off-chance you do have trimethylaminuria or something, I'll send this over to Healthy Living - what their staff decide to do with this is their call.

BDD>>>HL

Try using wet wipes yo.
Sometimes TP just doesn't do the trick and leaves you with a bad case of swamp butt.

yea i buy these medicated wipes with aloe and witch hazel. got a hemorhoid several months ago and these help tremendously. I hate regular TP now. Feels like sandpaper.

i think pm'd jackie chan about this a while ago. I found a study saying niacin can cure the symptoms of trimethylaminuria. I can't find it now but I will look around.

^ When you find that study, be sure to post it. It is very interesting that niacin could cure the symptoms since niacin is found naturally in foods that are typically in people's diets (and in high quantities at that): "dairy products, poultry, fish, lean meats, nuts, and eggs. Legumes and enriched breads and cereals also supply some niacin." (source)

Hello Jackie Chan,

In response to your original question I would have to say that I would find it incredibly hard to befriend someone who smelt strongly of anything malodorous, and I wish that wasn't so but it is :(

I really felt for you as I read your posts, and your situation will likely be one of those very occasional 'someone-on-the-message-board' tales that stays in my mind for a long time. I can't imagine how totally fucked it must be.
It's great that you are going for a multilevel approach with treating your condition and the secondary conditions, such as psychological and social effects, and I really hope that you get a lot from this.
Sending you positivity, light and hope <3

I hope this doesn't sound silly, or like I am taking the piss, because I am not, but as I read I kept wondering about the same few things and wanted to ask you.

Do you have a pet? Specifically I wonder do you have a dog??
How do dogs (or other animals) react to your smell? Are they keen to be in physical proximity to you?
It may sound really twee and a bit simplistic or silly, and I know that it can't ever replace actual human friendships by any stretch, but maybe a four-legger could enhance your life?? Just a thought anyway.

Another thing that I wondered about was if you can swim? As in, what effect swimming in salty or chlorinated water has on the smell, both during and post activity? And can you actually, physically swim?
Again, I realise that even if the smell would subsist whilst submerged or whatever, you can't very well turn into a mermaid/man and live the life aquatic, but I just wondered if perhaps this might be an activity that you could do to meet others and be free from the anxiety of smelling bad, at least during activity time.

Employment wise, what about working in a smelly environment?? That would suck for you, having to smell the garbage/sewerage/fertiliser plant/abbatoirs/mushroom farm/fish cannery or whatever it was that you were around, but it may make employment and the social aspects of occupation possible for you, again in an environment where you don't have to feel as anxious about your body odour. You're clearly quite articulate and intelligent from the writing in your posts, and in some ways it may mean taking a job that is far below your intellectual capability, but the benefits that meaningful occupation could provide might outweigh that for you.

Lastly, is there anything at all that a person who wanted to take the time to spend time with you could do to attempt to mask the smell a bit? Like the stuff that you put under your nose in mortuaries for example? I'm sure you've tried everything in this regard, but I am still curious to know, and hope you don't mind my asking.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you reply, though if you'd prefer you are welcome to PM me instead.

Truly wishing you all the good things, keep on trying :) xx

Last edited:
i think pm'd jackie chan about this a while ago. I found a study saying niacin can cure the symptoms of trimethylaminuria. I can't find it now but I will look around.

I didn't wanto reply until I actually tried it for a while but I've been taking two supplements with niacin in them and YES, it is helping. Also, I didn't really mention this, but I guess it isn't really a premanent fix, but when I take antibiotics that helps, it kindof changes the odour for some reason, makes it less offensive but the doctor doesn't give me all the time. By the way what happened to canetotheleft? I go to this thread and I see his name crossed out.
Anyways thanks for suggestion. I went for a job interview on Saturday feeling cracked out and by some miracle I got the job. But now I feel really worse, its hard to put in words the crazy anxiety going through my head worrying about what will happen this week when I start. I havent worked in over a year, lost the few friends I had, basically withdrawn from life but I was happy just doing things alone at home by myself. Now I'm really worried having starting to work this week.

I used to know someone who literally smelled like feces every day. This was in highschool, and it was bad. I assumed it was from bad hygiene, but I hadn't considered that it might be a medical condition. He attached himself to my group of friends. On a good day the smell was noticeable but not obtrusive. On a bad day...well let's just say one of the girls in class went smelling around the room for his smell and he was ostracized by everyone in class and the teacher. I didn't hate the guy, he had annoying personality traits but he wasn't awful. But based on smell alone I would never hang out with him outside of school. And, if I knew it was a medical condition but the smell was still strong it'd still be enough to keep me from hanging with them. I'd try to be sensitive about it, but shit smells like shit and there are some things you can't just ignore.

How has the job been mate?

The job is going good, but it's not really something where I have to interact with people that much. I'm working sanitation in a factory and it's just part time for now. I hopefully in the future want to get something related to my degree but this job now is kinda like a first step in just getting out there again cause I've withdrawn so much from life over the past year.

Hey I know this is an old thread and I don't know if you even go on this forum anymore. I was googling tmau and I found this thread.

Well I don't know if I have tmau or some other condition but I have developed a really bad chronic halitosis problem about 9 months ago. My bad breath comes out as I breathe through my nose so the smell can fill up entire rooms. So I know what it feels like to live with an odor problem. It's been tough living like this. I understand the pent up frustration you feel and why you are quick to react defensively to any response to this condition. As for me, I shut out my friends and didn't really give them a chance to reject me. I'm slowly adjusting to this. One of my good friends seems to still want to hang out despite my problem so don't give up hope.

Some people question why you seem to have some anger and I know why. Reality is people who don't have this problem don't care. Even medical professionals don't care. They are all very dismissive and even lie to our faces saying they don't smell anything. See online everyone can speak their minds freely. In person, everyone will lie and call us crazy and tell us we are imagining things. Then they will go on and talk shit behind our backs. Well I hope you are doing better but if I knew you in real life I would totally be your friend.

drink liquor untill it cleanses your whole body...i.v. that shit.

Honestly when i was a kid i used to think i smelled like shit because other kids were always joking about farts and shit...now i realized a few of them just blamed their farts on me. Seriously though this used to cause me a hell of alot of stress and i think it's a major reason that i still avoid people.

I don't think i smell like shit(at least not anymore) or if i ever did. If i didn't then i was probably like a borderlined schizo..i alwyas think people are talking shit about me.(no pun)

So good luck man i know how it feels to smell like shit...

Try excersicing a whole shitload..till you nearly die.

In my reasoning, your extra physical activity will force the gasses out with your sweat. Excersise till it's all gone.

DRINK LOTS O WATER.

Natural diet, fruits&veggies etc etc.

I know how you feel. I went through that for 12 years. Then i started drinking black tea( 3 bags in 8oz of water 3 times a day) try it, it could change your life too! Let me know how its going. Derek

I will be your friend. You can PM buddy with me if you feel like. *hug*

Also I think you will find it easier to make friends IRL if you let them know that your smell is because of a medical condition. That might be embarrassing/difficult to talk about to strangers, but otherwise they will probably assume you are some scary homeless drunk who has shit his pants. 1. Clarify medical condition, 2. Use a fragrance to try to help it a little?