• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tremor pupil dilation double vision at work in construction

d1nach

Bluelighter
I apologize if this violates the rule but I decided to try anyway because while it doesn't deal with drugs deliberately consumed it does deal with chemicals effecting health and indentifying and minimizing harm.

I got my first job and we where taking down roof tiles . And cleaning up dust . I was around a clearly noticable amount of spray paint lacquer ECT and could smell faintly hydrocarbons but noone else seemed too bothered . And mostly it was just clouds of dust . After about eight hours my nose started bleeding, my pupils dilate, seeing double, and everything's moving , and it feels like I have a head ache and my ears are ringing. All I had was coffee .

Anyone with experience industry know any possible causes so I can reduce exposure because right now my cognition is too intoxicated to even do the job. Thx

I've never worked in construction but I can imagine that all that stuff you were breathing in can't be good. Since you had such symptoms, is there any way you can get some of those dust masks that painters wear? The disposable type are pretty inexpensive.

Ya I'm wearing that tomorrow thank you. it's weird though because I get the dust from ripping down tiles could cause respiratory issues like the bloody nose and spitting uncontrollably. But I fingered it couldn't cause such bizzarre mental symptoms I felt like I was delirious exactly like when you overdose and your visions blurry, my hands if I took off my gloves where spotty, I had severe trouble thinking's like when your wasted and it's just blank your head, I could see the floor moving and bouncing .

Exposure to asbestos? May be "out there" but I would think inhaling those particles (possibly roof tiles) could cause immediate respiratory issues.

I once scoffed at warnings on KILZ oil-based stain blocker...ignored warnings of proper ventilation, no mask, painted a small bathroom for several hours without a break for air...I got the blurred vision, loss of cognitive ability, and numbness in my arms, legs and TONGUE!

Stating the obvious (sorry) but this sounds like chemical poisoning. A simple painter's mask, even the vented ones, would not keep you safe. Respirator would offer more protection. PLEASE BE SAFE!?!

If those side effects keep up, go get checked out. They probably won't, but just in case. I hope you weren't breathing in some fun chemical like tolulene, acetone or some other hydrocarbon. That shit can have serious side effects. It explains the cognitive issues.
Dude, get a mask.

I wasn't too worried because the particles wherent liquid or gas. Like it looked like talc powder and I was working with a Hispanic guy who didn't speak English so I couldn't ask him but he only had on a painters mask so I figured it couldn't be that dangerous. And I definitely could smell organic solvents but noone had respirators and it wasn't that strong. It was like foam and rock that shattered into a cloud when you hit it. I could see the floor wobble and the double vision might be from trouble breathing. Also I put my phone up close and I couldn't read the. Text. I dont see any open containers of them organic solvents though just every room has a few buckets of paint or lacquer closed are they that toxic ? I appreciate the help I've never done manual work like this before and I swear I felt more side effects then actual drug use even on my brain. At one point I felt like all I could think of was falling sleep.

I feel like it must be in my head because I know that sounds really stupid but they been doing it for years and seem OK so part of me is like maybe it's psychogenic and I don't want to be a wimp. And I'm about the same size so I don't see how I could be sick and the other guys who are older then me doing it longer fine. You'd think if it was toxic doing it for decades would make it worse not one day.

I don't think you're being a wimp because whatever you're breathing in must be some heavy duty shit. Like Dixi said, you might need a better mask. Maybe the other guys at the job site might be used to this but when it comes to your safety, you can never be too careful!

I think your right about the lungs after some dextroamphetamine caffeine and benadyrl I could breath through my nose again thx I got a mask hopefully will help. Throws you off when nondrugs cause drug like sickness your not expecting it

d1nach...Don't want to be a fear monger, but PLEASE take this seriously. Don't look at this as a "sizing" like guys can do. You're not a wimp. Those symptoms are your body screaming "NO!". As for the guys who have been doing this a while...they may be inhaling shit that will put them in an early grave, unknowingly. Many things in demo/construction cause long term "don't know" life ending illness in hindsight.

At the very least, a heavy duty vented painters mask...better than nothing. I repeat, a respirator mask would be your best defense.

Take care of YOU!

BTW...Can you make some space in your inbox?

Hey I never did real construction or anything but definitely did a bunch of roofing in my younger years... First off like others have said your not a wimp.

Second as I'm sure you know a lot of guys working in hazardous conditions still like to play the my dicks bigger than yours thing and wont wear gloves or masks or whatever the case may be... I knew roofers like that.

Also like has been said the cheap painters masks won't do much if anything against chemicals... get at least a low end respirator/gas mask whatever their called.

Also you asked if the lacquer or paint could be strong enough to cause it. I cant say for sure but I wouldn't think paint would however some lacquers have a very strong acetone/hydrocarbon scent so I would assume it would get you as high as a lot of the other huff crap... Paint thinner definitely and quickly if that was around as well. Were you in a ventilated area at all? I know I helped with a flat roof once where we had to pour tar and flamethrow it basically... I doubt it was the tar but maybe the gas from when it wasnt flaming but I definitely got high then... and I was outside on a roof lol.

And I did huff once or twice and thats actually what it sounds like with the dizzeness and strange stuff with your eyes although when I would huff it would be for a 30 second high if you were in a room with something getting you "high" it would be prolonged. So I think the respiratory stuff may be coincidence and just caused by the work. I know roofing doing a tear off of an old roof wopuld get insane coughing,sneezing, feeling like theres saw dust in your lungs lol.

EDIT: just realized you said spray paint not paint.... yeah spray paint will definitely get you high... o if its not well ventilated and thered fresh spray paint that makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway if it doesnt get better soon go to a dr. If you have insurance and feel like it go ahead now... I hope everthing turns out alright.

Thanks guys I told the guy I appreciate the opportunity but my asmtha was acting up so I have to quit(which is BS I don't have asmtha I just didn't want to be rude). I really appreciate you guys I was doing exactly that I don't have a small dick I ain't no pussy everyone else is fine so I'm fine. If you guys didn't help shift my mind from being a hypocondriac and I just need to man up and don't be a b**** I probably would of gotten seriously injured. I had benadyrl and amphetamine in my pocket with caffeine pills in my pocket Incase I couldn't breath which is definitely not normal. But I managed to get out am feeling OK with just a headache. Ive seen meth labs on TV that are less polluted than this. What drew the line was I was moving hundreds of prices of metals with batteries just all stacked in a pile and smelled horrid I think each battery was leaking sulfuric acid all over the place because when I'd spit onto a paper towel it bubble like it was hydrolysis of the ester bond breaking it down into sugar which only happens with strong mineral acids

I'm sorry you had to quit but your health comes first. I hope you feel better! :)
(moving this to Healthy Living)

I feel perfectly fine now so I'm positive it was heavily polluted when I came home I started spitting up oil like thick clear liquid which i suspect was organic solvents because once I used mouthwash it was like projectile and when I left it in a closed bottle it bubble and boil up into a top layer

=D SO HAPPY to hear you removed yourself from the danger. Still sounds like some damage was done. Please monitor yourself and seek medical help if symptoms persist/return.

Take care!

Your inbox says FULL again. 8(