• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Trauma from Horror Trip (LSD+Cubensis)

Sadlysergic

Greenlighter
I'm wondering anybodies opinion on if LSD is most likely going to contribute to continued or worsening the trauma from unrelated things or, drug/trip (including lsd) related things. Or is it more likely that LSD will aid in the healing process from the trauma and not have a huge risk of adverse affects related to the trauma. Specifically I had what could be summed up as a "horrible" trip on two tabs of claimed 100-125ug tabs (I'd estimate closer to 90-100ug on average for these tabs) mixed with 1-3.2 gs of high quality penis envy cubensis. This trip ended up being very traumatic. Some of the things that happened were very embarrassing and I ended up having so much dysphoria during the come up that I had to go to people almost completely inexperienced with psychedelics for help. And... I basically subconsciously refused to tell them it was psychedelics so they assumed I was having an actual overdose. Long story short I had interactions with law enforcement and ended up staying the night in the hospital. Live through what could best be described as multiple lifetimes as a schizophrenic being reborn and then going through intense pain over and over again during just a 30 minute hospital ride. Also had some basically blackouts and complete ego losses at many points where I became very scared and maybe had entered moments of psychosis but I'm not really sure. I basically think I'm "fine" now and not "fried" in basically anyway but I do definitely have trauma from this trip. I have had many symptoms of PTSD from unrelated things in my past confirmed by a psychologist also but a big majority of that issue has been resolved. Thank you for any insight, thoughts, or personal experiences!

P.S sorry this was kinda like a rant and maybe not written well, respond for clarification etc.

@Sadlysergic

what inspired you to take so much?
honestly you must learn to titrate up, not jump in blindly with both feet when dealing with your existential core or self or consciousness.

titrate up means try a small amount, and if you need more, next time (3 days later at the soonest) try some more, etc.

you may not need to do this with each batch you get if you ever get another batch. but, I seriously do not believe you can dispel your shame and bad feelings about it by taking it again - first learn to own your feelings, to make space for failure as well as success, for pain as well as pleasure, for emptiness and fulfillment.

I think you are probably setting yourself up for another bad trip at this point. But if you do dose again, you need to make certain it is in a setting where there are people around that know what's going on and are qualified to support you. And stay away from heroic doses for a while. BTW, tryptamines too often make them lose all the magic they originally had. You lose that sense of awe.

Lsd might help. I got raped last time I took it. I'm similarly nervous. But in the past with less traumatic trips but still could be considered ptsd. After many years revisiting did help to resolve the symptoms. Dont listen to anyone saying it will only make it worse. These psychedelics are tools not toys are barely understood but I think leary and his idea of "imprinting" had it right - in the right set and setting it could be very valuable to your/my healing

The best thing I ever did was take a decade off tripping, no one wants to hear that. I had horror show trip off three hits, next trip took 1/2 hit and still had a bad time. I heard someone here say they took more LSD to heal trauma from previous trip and that's the opposite of what I would do. I cant say if this will make your trauma worse or better, I didn't know you and am not qualified to guess. I never had any lasting negatives from my bad trip, thought it about once in a while but it wasn't like flashbacks to Nam or anything. I think most people get over them just fine in time, but it if you were predisposed to mental illness it could probably trigger something...

I'm sorry you had to go through that, @Sadlysergic. Luckily I've never had to deal with internment or threats thereof, but my first shroom trip was an absolute train wreck. I don't talk about it for various reasons, one of which is the stigmatization of predestination to insanity that people attach to it. Superficial psychiatric pragmatism suddenly becomes palatable when it serves as a convenient line drawn behind one's heels. But declaring something happened because it was bound to happen doesn't actually explain anything. There aren't sufficiently valid measurements available to consistently verify postulation of concrete, reliable causes. And then there are indeed even the unmistakable mental cases where the effect is exactly the opposite, where psychedelics work as medicine. Moreover, declaring predisposition and ending the conversation there only helps to enlarge regret, doesn't it. I think it's a much more fruitful starting point to acknowledge that we all come with baggage, that our stories differ qualitatively and can be very hard and even impossible to quantify into a scale of mental illness, and that, considering such complexity, we all are or have been at risk to be sucked into extended negative spirals. Such assumption fosters a more compassionate approach than going from the social-psychological outgroups created primarily for the convenience of state administration.

It wasn't really an option not to return to psychedelics. I took the initial risk in the first place because I was not content just repressing experience to the point of rendering life empty, and absurd. Though perhaps I could have concluded the alternative was worse, could have instead adapted to a comparatively superficial life, and sorted out things later in life, hopefully without fetishizing misery to any large degree during. What makes this a hard call to make is that you never really know how life pans out. Have I lost multiple careers because of drugs? Or did drugs set me free from the mental taxidermy of bureaucracy, as to find my way on my own terms? That's not something one can predict.

DXM worked for me to patch things up, both to force peace with the expanded state, and as a launch pad for revisiting the psychedelics, and, in time, to sort out that shroom trip. It's dangerous to declare that there aren't bad trips. It quickly amounts to turning a cold heart to heaps of destruction reaped from one dubious decision. It's just that there isn't really anything else to do with it, anything other than to investigate why the mind did what it did. You can postpone investigation. But that is standing still on the side of the same, inevitable road. You've already dearly paid for the lesson, whether you heed it or not. So you might as well heed it, eventually. We are psychologically biased towards valuing that which we pay for. Incidentally that's also why free services tend to garner little respect, heh. So in that way we can eventually come to let go of the overbearing negative. If you've lost an arm and a leg over it, then you're gonna tend to take the insights to heart in a proportionate manner. (That's a psychological take on Dazu Huike's enlightenment, heh, if you like Eastern legends.) And in the end there won't have been a bad trip. But no sooner. Mere denial won't do.

I found my way to riskier dissociatives afterwards, which I'm sure fuels some suspicion towards DXM around here. But there was a quite separate series of events hitting my life around that time. Grave misfortune struck, and I lost the ability to care, about life, about anything. So I indulged in unresearched chemicals, something I would have never done before. DXM has been around for over half a century, and disincentives abuse to a reasonable degree. But the novelty and the "black hole" feel around arylcyclohexylamines suddenly looked perversely exciting. I managed to take them as a challenge for a long time, but they were indeed an incredible bitch to get rid of, and am paying off the metaphorical debt as we speak. Granted, this all would have been less likely to happen if I hadn't known of any reliable way to disconnect and reset/stabilize the mind to begin with. But the point is that it wasn't a natural spiraling out of control from DXM onwards. If life's hardship wouldn't have so unkindly converged into one ruthless squeeze, I don't know why I wouldn't have kept to DXM only. It worked just fine, it was a sufficiently effective shroom antidote. And I hadn't even explored LSD + DXM yet.. just sayin', there was no shortage of relatively safe yet mindblowing experiences to be had.

So all mentioned approaches are potentially valid. In these still early stages of psychedelic medicine, you are the expert on what's most likely to work for you.

I think one of the powerful effects of LSD is imprinting. And I definitely think one trip could undo the mindset left behind by another. Depending on how bad your ptsd is, tho, idk, I have no experiences tripping with ptsd (yet)