• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Transdermal amphetamines (definitely works)

considering the oral bioavailability of amphetamine / dextroamphetamine isn’t that great i went on a bit of a mission looking into more unorthodox ROA’s as a way of stretching my prescription and taking less to get the same effect. by far the most efficient system i’ve found is alka seltzer, and it’s not just baking soda or an alkaline environment, it’s the aspirin that thins the blood and increases absorption and the carbonation that speeds absorption (this is why people feel like they get more drunk with champagne and sparkling alcohol - it kicks in faster). then the alkalinity extends the half life. i didn’t want to be putting that much sodium into my body though so i got some potassium bicarbonate, citric acid, and adding a bit of baking soda and a crushed aspirin to that definitely came close to the alka seltzer effect, but still not all the way (new theory is that the way they bake the tablets when they press them activates the baking soda even more and that’s playing a role in it as well).

in the interest of not drinking potassium and sodium bicarbonate every day, and because i have chronic sinusitis and my nose doesn’t take kindly to insufflation, and because plugging works great but i don’t want to do it every day and risk disturbing gut flora and rectal tissue, i started reading patents for transdermal drug delivery systems - most of which were for drugs with poor oral bioavailability, but were purported to work for a wide range of drugs.

i found multiple patents that were using the same technique / ingredients and claiming higher-than-oral bioavailability so figured i’d give it a shot. both of them consisted of: a formulation of the drug dissolved in a vehicle, of which there were many choices, and a permeability enhancer applied on top of that, of which there was also a list of effective choices. i had a number of those things on hand already. so here’s how i did it:

first, they applied “petrolum” to the skin. after googling petrolum found out that’s just petroleum jelly i.e. vasoline. so i did this on an arm and just applied a circle about the size i thought would be needed to spread the full formula over. i had already made the drug formula for which i chose propylene glycol. they mention that this formula should be fully saturated, meaning you want to use the least amount of propylene glycol to fully absorb all the powder. i take dexedrine spansules so i crushed those with a mortar and pestle into powder, put in a small dish and mixed with just enough propylene glycol to saturate it (i’ve also used polyethylene glycol 400 with success, and ethanol is another one in that list that many people will have, i’m thinking about trying isopropyl alcohol next time as it’s the main ingredient in hand sanitizer so obviously it can’t be too toxic on the skin, i know it’s toxic to ingest though).

i applied that formulation of dextroamphetamine powder in PG to the skin over the vaseline, covering the whole area but not worrying too much about rubbing it in. that’s for the next step.

for the permeability enhancer, out of the many options listed, the one i had on hand was DMSO. these patents said you want to use the “minimum effective” amount of the PE (permeability enhancer) - but weren’t more specific than that. i interpreted that as being the minimum amount necessary to fully cover the area where the drug formulation had been applied. this ended up being approximately 3 to 5 drops (technical unit of measurement i know) using the dropper that came with the bottle. so i applied about 5 drops of food grade 99.9% dmso on the skin there and then rubbed the area quite a bit to make sure it all got mixed together. (i then washed my hands thoroughly with soap and hot water and rolled up my shirt sleeve just to be extra sure nothing came in contact with this spot on my arm).

these patents specifically said the drug formulation and the permeability enhancer should be applied within 5 minutes of eachother. they also mentioned applying a patch (some sort of gauze or bandaid i’m assuming) over it, but i didn’t have one, so i just made sure not to let anything touch that area for an hour or so (then thoroughly washed the area after an hour, as you gotta be careful with dmso, it’ll let just about anything absorb into your skin).

these patents both claimed peak plasma concentration within 45 - 60 minutes (or maybe that was time to perceived effects as peak plasma is generally a bit longer than that). this turned out to be spot on, as there was a very noticeable effect about 45mins after application, that i would guess was about equivalent to taking it orally with baking soda. it definitely wasn’t a placebo, and i wasn’t necessarily expecting it to work as these patents weren’t for amphetamines so really had no idea what to expect. since then i’ve found out that there are indeed transdermal formulations of dextroamphetamine available commercially and not just from a compounding pharmacy, which confirmed that transdermal application of dex is indeed an effective ROA.

since this experiment i’ve tried it with Modafinil, and that one oddly didn’t seem to work at all, and gave me an itchy rash that went away in about 6 hours. i could also see that the powder was still on my skin after an hour, as if it hadn’t absorbed at all. modafinil is not water soluble and i wonder if that has anything to do with it? that doesn’t line up but it’s the most obvious variable i could think of. with the dex, any traces of powder had disappeared from my skin within 20 or 30 minutes. magic!

so there ya go. be careful with dmso and make sure everything is extremely sanitary, all tools, your hands, the skin you apply it to. food grade 99.9% dmso is easily available on amazon as are food grade propylene / polyethylene glycol. if you’re curious about what other substances can be used for the formulation or the permeability enhancer it’s super easy to find just searching for patents for transdermal permeability enhancers, they all list off a variety of substances that will work.

and now you’ve got 1 more ROA so you can give your stomach / nose / butt / gums a break and spread that amphetamine around. makes it more interesting too.

FWIW, aside from oral w/ alka seltzer, plugging and transdermal, i find sublingual works extremely well, when made into a solution with a bit of baking soda and propylene glycol (works as a permeability enhancer as well sublingually). a friend of mine also swears by a sublingual solution she makes with baking soda, addy and a couple drops of dmso.

i figure this post is in the spirit of harm reduction as my reasoning for transdermal was to decrease the massive sodium intake from alka seltzer and to resort to plugging less as i have heard a few anecdotes about negative consequences from that, albeit rare ones, but they’re out there.

i’m really curious why some substances work transdermally and some don’t. like LSD for example, have read a bunch of stuff on this forum about how it doesn’t seem to work transdermally. and the modafinil not working, im wondering what that’s about, as i’d actually extracted the active ingredient (modafinil) and there weren’t any binders or fillers there. maybe if more people start doing this and report back we’ll have even more experience to draw from.

hope it works for ya. stay cool out there