• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tramadol Withdrawal Experiences

Up4Dayz

Greenlighter
Hey Everyone,

New here to the forum. I did a quick search with a few results. I have been prescribed 400 mg of Tramadol ( 8 per/day) the past 6 years by the VA due to Military Related injuries. I made the decision to come off of Tramadol 2 weeks ago after basically being forced into a quick taper by the VA I went from 8 pills a day and tapered down to 2 pills for 2 days and then Cold Turkey the past 12 days. It has been a real rollercoaster ride through Hell. I am still having trouble with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and still only getting an hour or two of sleep here and there. For the most part I believe I entered into a Manic Episode a day or two ago also being Bipolar 1. This was the last prescription that I was taking as I have worked off all my other medications the past 2 years, so I don't really have any Trazadone to help with the Sleepless part like I used to. I was thinking maybe Melantonin might help if I tried that? The Physical Withdrawals were Extremely Strong the first Week. I felt like I was freezing nearly every second of the day. At one point I had my heat turned up to 89 degrees inside with my largest coat on and I was still freezing. I am past that point thank god. I also seem to be getting Brain Zaps and lots of Eyelid Twitching still. What kind of Tramadol Withdrawal Hell Stories do you people have? This has got to be worse than Heroin (although I've never came off Heroin). I've never come off anything this bad before. Are there any long term Tramadol users out there that successfully came off and can give me some kind of idea about how long it was before their brain chemistry started to get back to normal. I understand there is also the Antidepressant quality of the medicine that is causing the general depression and anxiety on top of the opiate like withdrawal. Thanks for listening!~

Hello, I understand what you are going through, I am abstinence at this time from tramadol, but I was taking a higher dose and I did not reduce it, I just retired in cold turkey, I was taking 750mg a day along with other drugs (oxy, soma , ketamine, lsd, mdma, codeine, a lot of weed), these last months were like this ... I know that it is not a situation like yours, but nevertheless I am going through that horrible abstinence now on my 12th day free of that, I am controlling a little with clonazepam and pregabalin, it is still horrible, I have very confused thoughts, I had suicidal thoughts too, today is my birthday and I am with my family, I still wonder how much longer I will be like this, some say that 30 days maybe, It may be longer since you have taken it for much longer than me, I have learned that it is an everyday struggle, it becomes easier every time, although I am using other drugs to reduce the symptoms a little, stay strong man i'm afraid of a relapse, here we are in mandatory quarantine for all this coronavirus, not being able to see my friends depresses me even more, do you have support from anyone in this? Maybe you can get something to reduce the symptoms for a while until it passes, although you should be careful with addiction to other medications, tell me more about your lIfe..

Hello, I understand what you are going through, I am abstinence at this time from tramadol, but I was taking a higher dose and I did not reduce it, I just retired in cold turkey, I was taking 750mg a day along with other drugs (oxy, soma , ketamine, lsd, mdma, codeine, a lot of weed), these last months were like this ... I know that it is not a situation like yours, but nevertheless I am going through that horrible abstinence now on my 12th day free of that, I am controlling a little with clonazepam and pregabalin, it is still horrible, I have very confused thoughts, I had suicidal thoughts too, today is my birthday and I am with my family, I still wonder how much longer I will be like this, some say that 30 days maybe, It may be longer since you have taken it for much longer than me, I have learned that it is an everyday struggle, it becomes easier every time, although I am using other drugs to reduce the symptoms a little, stay strong man i'm afraid of a relapse, here we are in mandatory quarantine for all this coronavirus, not being able to see my friends depresses me even more, do you have support from anyone in this? Maybe you can get something to reduce the symptoms for a while until it passes, although you should be careful with addiction to other medications, tell me more about your lIfe..

Sorry for the late reply. My Tramadol withdrawal seemed to go on forever. I guess it's been about 67 days since I came off it cold turkey and I finally feel like I'm no longer having Tramadol withdrawal symptoms, but I'm definitely in a lot more pain. It took a good 4-5 weeks before I seemed to be completely over it. How'd it turn out for you my friend?

Sorry for the late reply. My Tramadol withdrawal seemed to go on forever. I guess it's been about 67 days since I came off it cold turkey and I finally feel like I'm no longer having Tramadol withdrawal symptoms, but I'm definitely in a lot more pain. It took a good 4-5 weeks before I seemed to be completely over it. How'd it turn out for you my friend?

Oh, I'm so glad you did, stay strong plis
Well, after writing that, 2 days later exactly I found some old 40mg oxy ... and the story ended in a whole week of taking it together with oral morphine, let's say it didn't end very well, but my doctor gave methadone to my mother. for her to give me the pills, it was something momentary, in a few days I will be free of methadone, they will give me new medication after that, pregabalin and venlafaxine we were talking to the doctor that it could be a good idea, in general I have been more sober the last month, but the first month of quarantine had many drugs after the second week

Hey @Up4Dayz Congrats on getting off the tramadol...67 days is amazing and CT at that! I know that was rough. I'm about 3 weeks behind you and having the same issue: lots of pain after quitting tramadol. How are you dealing with your pain? Has anything worked? I'm seeing a chiropractor and trying to do physical therapy exercises but it's still rough. Do you think you're still having more the rebound pain from suddenly stopping or do you think this is what your normal pain levels will be? I hope you get some relief. I would have no trouble staying off tramadol if it weren't for the chronic pain...

Oh, I'm so glad you did, stay strong plis
Well, after writing that, 2 days later exactly I found some old 40mg oxy ... and the story ended in a whole week of taking it together with oral morphine, let's say it didn't end very well, but my doctor gave methadone to my mother. for her to give me the pills, it was something momentary, in a few days I will be free of methadone, they will give me new medication after that, pregabalin and venlafaxine we were talking to the doctor that it could be a good idea, in general I have been more sober the last month, but the first month of quarantine had many drugs after the second week
Thanks man! I hope you succeed and stay strong brotha! The struggle is real...

Hey @Up4Dayz Congrats on getting off the tramadol...67 days is amazing and CT at that! I know that was rough. I'm about 3 weeks behind you and having the same issue: lots of pain after quitting tramadol. How are you dealing with your pain? Has anything worked? I'm seeing a chiropractor and trying to do physical therapy exercises but it's still rough. Do you think you're still having more the rebound pain from suddenly stopping or do you think this is what your normal pain levels will be? I hope you get some relief. I would have no trouble staying off tramadol if it weren't for the chronic pain...

Thanks brotha! I think most of the pain I am feeling is normal pain levels. Most of the rebound pain was in the first 2-3 weeks coming off for me. It doesn't help that I gained a good 25 lbs. coming off the past 2 months and the pain is in my back lol. If I could just get down to 160 I think most of the pain would go away, but that is 40 lbs. away, so a lot of work to do. One day at a time I guess. I wish I could tell you that it gets easier, which it does to a degree, but the pain definitely sucks without the tramadol. I can follow up with pain management at anytime, but I really want to see if I can lose the weight before I go jump back into some different pain pills or whatnot....I was on tramadol a really long time and I think the depression part took the longest to get over after coming off. Tramadol has that way of lightning up your day and making you feel less depressed, a little energized and more positive. I definitely miss that aspect.

Tramadol has that way of lightning up your day and making you feel less depressed, a little energized and more positive. I definitely miss that aspect.
Yes, yes it does. I get could so much cleaning and cooking done and didn't feel worn out...I definitely miss that aspect of it, and the pain control of course. I'm also gaining weight and trying to minimize that. I think that's why my knees are worse. I'm considering a pain management clinic but don't want to get on other stuff at this time. I have a goal of going 6 months with a combination of core exercises, chiropractor, and maybe physical therapy before deciding to go on gabapentin again. Tramadol is just not an option for me...my tolerance soars so quickly and I'd be back up to 15/day before I knew it. Hoping you find some relief and very inspired by your success! I'll be so happy when I get to 60+ days!!!! :)

I was on tramadol for a few years and withdrawal was terrible but I figured out a plan that works and it really helped me with the withdrawals. Congratulations on getting through the withdrawals and being tramadol free

L
Hey Everyone,

New here to the forum. I did a quick search with a few results. I have been prescribed 400 mg of Tramadol ( 8 per/day) the past 6 years by the VA due to Military Related injuries. I made the decision to come off of Tramadol 2 weeks ago after basically being forced into a quick taper by the VA I went from 8 pills a day and tapered down to 2 pills for 2 days and then Cold Turkey the past 12 days. It has been a real rollercoaster ride through Hell. I am still having trouble with RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) and still only getting an hour or two of sleep here and there. For the most part I believe I entered into a Manic Episode a day or two ago also being Bipolar 1. This was the last prescription that I was taking as I have worked off all my other medications the past 2 years, so I don't really have any Trazadone to help with the Sleepless part like I used to. I was thinking maybe Melantonin might help if I tried that? The Physical Withdrawals were Extremely Strong the first Week. I felt like I was freezing nearly every second of the day. At one point I had my heat turned up to 89 degrees inside with my largest coat on and I was still freezing. I am past that point thank god. I also seem to be getting Brain Zaps and lots of Eyelid Twitching still. What kind of Tramadol Withdrawal Hell Stories do you people have? This has got to be worse than Heroin (although I've never came off Heroin). I've never come off anything this bad before. Are there any long term Tramadol users out there that successfully came off and can give me some kind of idea about how long it was before their brain chemistry started to get back to normal. I understand there is also the Antidepressant quality of the medicine that is causing the general depression and anxiety on top of the opiate like withdrawal. Thanks for listening!~
LAte reply here. That's such a rapid taper. How did you go? I'm doing a lower taper of about 25mg per week. It's going ok but today my brain felt like it was melting

L
LAte reply here. That's such a rapid taper. How did you go? I'm doing a lower taper of about 25mg per week. It's going ok but today my brain felt like it was melting

Sorry for the late reply bro... I did taper too quickly. I eventually had to go back on 4 a day and now have been off completely for 1 month. I understand about the brain melting thing....that is accurate.