• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol usage over prolonged period

octagon572

Greenlighter
I have been an occasional user of Tramadol since 2016 at low doses. Normally 100mg at a time, sometimes 150mg but never higher than 200mg.
I have been doing this since 2016 and have used Tramadol between 1 and 4 times a week. I have had weeks with no Tramadol. The average has been around 2-3 times a week.
I have never had to increase the dose, had the desire to increase the dose or increase the frequency of use. I use Tramadol mostly for working out and I find it greatly increases the experience and performance.
My question is, whether this is sustainable or healthy. I know at some point I must stop. I have had no problems stopping in the past but I find that I no longer enjoy working out as much without Tramadol. It also gives a huge performance boost and I really enjoy the feelings of being superhuman physically while taking it.
I don’t use any other drugs regularly. I don’t drink.

Due to the unique SSRI properties of Tramadol it isn't as simple an opioid as some. It is also synthetic. It can raise the seizure threshold for some, but it sounds like you are not dosing in that territory. Is this prescribed to you? I made the mistake of taking Oxy while working out and made my injuries even worse due to lack of pain. If you have had MRI and other tests done and know nothing is torn or what not it shouldn't be an issue. But why use an opioid over a pre-workout with BCAA and things your body needs? It sounds maintainable but also sounds silly. If you aren't in chronic pain I'd leave the Tramadol alone and find a better alternative for a workout supplement

As Future said, are you on a script?

I used to do exactly the same years ago, good mixture of serotonin and Mu and added endorphins capture when training.

It is hard to say anything that you enjoy can be sustainable, because your view of it changes once you are reliant of course. It does have a worse withdrawal than Oxy in my opinion, due to it effectively being a double withdrawal at once. You are sensible enough to come here for some advice so, Stay safe and listen to your gut ?

In theory it should help, but I am not sure how that would work in practice.

I often thought, for people in real dire need of something immediate, to save them from suicide attempts etc, this kind of drug should be offered, to avoid the weeks and/or months for an SSRI to help (if it does that is ?).

Due to the unique SSRI properties of Tramadol it isn't as simple an opioid as some.

Technically it's an SNRI, but yes, it does have serotonergic properties that are stronger for tramadol itself than for its active metabolite, O-desmethyltramadol, which is also a stronger opioid. Therefore, tramadol should not be used in conjunction with drugs that compete for the same liver enzymes (mostly CYP2D6), inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, or decrease the seizure threshold. This includes things like DXM, various antidepressants, or Wellbutrin. It would also be advisable to stagger your doses (meaning that re-dosing single pills an hour or two apart is more effective than taking several at once, as you're giving your liver more time to form the active metabolite).

It is also synthetic.

This doesn't necessarily imply anything about how dangerous it is, though. The vast majority of opioids in clinical use is semi-synthetic anyway. Even codeine is mostly produced semi-synthetically from morphine.

I made the mistake of taking Oxy while working out and made my injuries even worse due to lack of pain.

This is an extremely important point. Pain is a warning signal. Transcending minor pain may be part of the appeal of working out, but if you keep blocking it out altogether through pharmaceutical means, you're going to do lasting damage to your body.

Last edited:
I metabolise tramadol and codeine extremely well.tramadol is weird as sometimes i get stimulant effects and other times id get a nod but its my least favourite opiate it not best for pain and can make me anxious.
when i use to take codeine i remember taking 200mg and I would be noddin out.
or was that just low tolerance

As everyone pointed out, unless your doing a bunch of other drugs, you chances of seizure are lower. It is a drug known to occasionally cause seizures for almost no reason. Keep tabs on your head, especially due to the added stress of working out.

Is it sustainable for what you are using it for? IMO no, it is not. When you eventually stop using Tramadol, the way you are applying it, your body will notice it missing. You didn't take it for headache, you took it as a tool to help you work out. That will be more noticeable due to what body systems are involved.

No reason to get excited, but I will suggest a possible slow taper from 200 mg or your common high end dosage and slowly, really slowly start nocking milligrams off your dose. If you do this slowly, the exercise should help your brain adjust to the very small amount you taper,

Over time, you will find no need for Tramadol. I suggest you look at sustainable natural supplements that may help fill any void.

The keyword is slow. All my opinion

I got 7 years of tramadol till now, after a while the stimulant effects are not there anymore, to keep being stimulated use the lowest doses you can, the 150-200mg range you are using is perfect. Also in my experience, when the tramadol kicks in it stimulates you, but at the end when it starts wearing off it has more opioid like characteristic causing a slight nod

Just swallow the pills as designed and try not to worry about it bro..

PM me if any other questions about this med as I've been on it a while
[/QUOTE]
I got 7 years of tramadol till now, after a while the stimulant effects are not there anymore, to keep being stimulated use the lowest doses you can, the 150-200mg range you are using is perfect. Also in my experience, when the tramadol kicks in it stimulates you, but at the end when it starts wearing off it has more opioid like characteristic causing a slight nod
]

thats when it onverts to o desmethyyl tramadol or whatever it is

Fair, but OP mentioned "Is this sustainable". Just because your body doesn't feel certain effects anymore doesn't mean an eventual withdrawal won't make certain feelings noticeable.

Thank you all for your replies. I should expand by saying my training is for an endurance sport which means training for many consecutive hours. This is where I find the drug to be most helpful and I believe there is a study around which suggests around 5% increase.

I have also read however that long term use it Tramadol can cause severe adrenal suppression. This is something I need to avoid, coupled with high volume training I can imagine this is a recipe for failure.

I have stopped in the past and have never felt the need or desire to use it for other reasons than training. I have no injuries etc. My plan will be to slowly reduce the amount and frequency as suggested, and combine it with a break from my training. I’m hoping that after the break I will be motivated enough to train hard again with out the Tramadol. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Ok so due to Tramadol effect on a number of neuro pathways in the brain, I’m looking for some advice on getting things back to normal after stopping.

The main receptors I’ve seen it have an effect on are Serotonin, Norepinephrine, acetylcholine and dopamine along with opioid.
Would supplementing with choline or alpha GPC along with something like l dopa or mucuna have any effect after stopping? Anyone have any experience with this? I think what I’m lacking and suffering from the most is the reduced or depleted dopamine. I don’t suffer with any of the normal opioid withdrawals.