• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol SNRI vs Opiate effects - which is which?

bobcat99

Greenlighter
Hi Everyone.

This is my first post here. I've been using Bluelight as an amazing resource just for learning a bunch of stuff from all you guys who regularly post on here - so thank you first and foremost.

I am having problems with my knee and it gives me bad pain especially at night. The DR prescribed 150mg Tramadol Slow Release - and I have to say that when I first took one it really made me feel amazing. The main characteristics were;

• A general feeling of warmth and kindness towards others.
  • More focussed, task oriented, and generally had a great effect on my productivity.
  • A real feeling of optimism and just being in a great mood.

My question is which of these can I attribute to the Opiate effects of Tramadol and which can I attribute to the SNRI effects?

The reason I ask is that for the first few times I took tramadol, I really truly felt like I was me again. I remember thinking to myself "this is how I'm supposed to feel normally". It was as if all my shitty thoughts and general pessimism etc just disappeared and I was once again a happy, friendly, optimistic person.

THEN

The more I read on Bluelight and some other sites about the SNRI effects of tramadol and the potential for it to be used as an antidepressant, I started wondering - is there ANOTHER antidepressant out there somewhere that could make the same shift for me in terms of the mood / optimism / feeling normal again thing.

I have struggled with depression in the past and tried a number of different antidepressants but none of them have made any real difference to me. After trying and failing to get one that worked I just sort of resigned and told myself that I had dysthymia (low level moderate depression), but after having these experiences with tramadol it's really made me question whether or not I should just accept that I am someone with dysthymia and that's just the way it is or whether I should keep searching for an antidepressant that can have at least a similar effect on my mood and outlook as tramadol does?

Anyone care to shed any light on this? I'd love to hear from anyone that's had even a slightly similar experience!

Cheers

bob

The feelings of psychological comfort and relaxation are the most common effects of most opioids, as they correlate with the mu-opioid receptive system, our endorphins are our bodies natural endogenous transmitters, which are active during moments of pleasure (Sexual Stimulation, exercise), but all being the reason why MOR agonists are so addictive (Morphine, Heroin, Tramadol etc.

And regarding the effects of the SNRI properties, Serotonin and Norepinephrine both attribute to our general psychological well-being, which could be why you are feeling more jolly than usual. Tramadol could be used as an anti-depressant, but I would talk to a Dr. regarding its use for this, they would most likely be more inclined to prescribe you an SSRI. But again I have no knowledge if tramadol is approved for depression, I guess there would be to much worry about strong dependence. Someone else here could elaborate a bit better on the subject.