• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol Questions and Concerns

lamerica1942

Greenlighter
Hello. I am a disable vet that has been on hydrocodone for, I would say, the past year or so. I have an injury that was not fixed by surgery and now the only thing that I can do is have a shoulder replacement, but they will not do it because I am too young. Anyhow, I haven't been taking the hydrocodone as prescribed, which is 1 every 6 hours (10/325). I usually take two every four days or so, because some reason at the end of the week is really when the pain becomes unbearable. My VA doctor left and I was assigned a new one. They have all of my medical reports, of course, but the new doctor is against prescribing narcotic pain medication. I suppose the new CDC guidlines on opioids has something to do with it, but she is really totally against it.

So, she prescribes me Tramadol. I never heard of Tramadol so I do some research and search results have led me here to this forum. I have not read anything good about this medication and I really do not want to take it, but I am in pain and don't know what I can do short of finding a third-party doctor...which is tough without insurance. I bring up my concerns and she seems not to be concerned, at all, telling me it is safe. I am at my wits end and have seriously thought about going another route to obtain what I am used to, hydrocodone. However, I really don't know if, and how really, to delve into that world.

So, after that long-winded post, I guess what I am wondering is why Tramadol? Is it as effective as hydrocone without the increased risk of addiction and withdrawals? I have read about seizures and terrible withdrawals. Is it considered an opioid? Does it have the same analgesic effect? Sorry if the beginning was too much info and for the length. However, if you made it through to here thank you.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, suggestion and advice.

What you'll find concerning Tramadol is that there seems to be much greater variance in effect across population vs hydro or oxy. It's true there is a risk for seizure, but it is relatively low at the most common dosages of 50-100mg. The problem I've found with Tram is that even among those for whom the drug produces a significant recreational effect, the pain relieving quality of the drug remains inferior to hydro/oxy. I've got nerve pain from degenerative disc disorder, and I can tell you that when I hurt it takes rather large doses of hydro/oxy to gain any sort of relief. Tram is of almost no use to me at all in that regard. That said, I've never had a shoulder issue so I couldn't say, but maybe it may be worth at least trying it. If taken as prescribed the risks are almost a non-issue. Admittedly though, the w/d's are hell IMHO.

What you'll find concerning Tramadol is that there seems to be much greater variance in effect across population vs hydro or oxy. It's true there is a risk for seizure, but it is relatively low at the most common dosages of 50-100mg. The problem I've found with Tram is that even among those for whom the drug produces a significant recreational effect, the pain relieving quality of the drug remains inferior to hydro/oxy. I've got nerve pain from degenerative disc disorder, and I can tell you that when I hurt it takes rather large doses of hydro/oxy to gain any sort of relief. Tram is of almost no use to me at all in that regard. That said, I've never had a shoulder issue so I couldn't say, but maybe it may be worth at least trying it. If taken as prescribed the risks are almost a non-issue. Admittedly though, the w/d's are hell IMHO.

hahaha great name
i agree tramadol is inferior IME i felt a botter of jack did better
far as seizures the threshold varies from person to person the 300mg to 400mg is the watch out range
even at that taking large amounts wont do anything beneficial

She is full of shit. See a new doctor.nif you have to take tramadol, take under 300mg/day and take naproxen or Tylenol or even ibuprofen. I had a doc tell me that Tylenol and Ibuprofen was similar to Vicodin.

I have !!SEVER RLS!!. I have been taking 2 Tramadol 50mg tabs E8H, and two at bedtime, along with two Tylenol PM, and one 2mg Ambien. The Tramadol is the only medication that we have found to counteract RLS. The Tramadol has slowly been becoming less efective, and just this week has not been any help. I, however, I am at a point of not sleeping for about a week. I have not had a full nights sleep in over a year. What replacement, if any, can I ask my DR about? I will be seeing him tomorrow. Thanks.