• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol Dose and Seizure Risk

elstongunn39

Bluelighter
I acquired some cheap Indian tramadol, and have been taking it for some holiday cheer. I've never had a seizure in my life and I've taken tramadol a few times. I'm wondering re: dose and seizure risk though. Some people say even 300 mg is too much. Is that true? I've been taking 200 mg and then three hours later taking 100 mg to get back up. Haven't pushed it more than that in a day. Is that too much? I could always throw klonopin in the mix as an anti-convulsant.

I have taken upwards of 500mg without issues but it's all based on the individual. I wouldn't go over 300mg if you are happy at that dose, the less you take the lower your seizure risk.

Throwing the klonopin in would definitely help mitigate the seizure risk but you have to be careful not to dose too high and get too fucked up. It will also cause extra CNS depression that could be a problem if you have a low tolerance to both drugs.

also this is some weird brand from india and its 200 mg instant release pills, they're scored but if i break them up should i be able to assume the dose is distributed pretty evenly? cause it would suck if i was trying to take 100 mg but ended up with a 200 mg dose

Saying that they're weird pills would make me question the accuracy of the dosage of any of the pills regardless of them being broken.

400 mg is generally the maximum reccomended dose, but less can provoke seizures in seizure prone individuals. For example, taking 300mg of tramadol while you're withdrawing from benzos could potentially cause a seizure.

If you're in no way seizure prone, you should be fine staying at or below 300 mg, but honestly, there's no reason to chase a tramadol high. Just take as little as you can, because plenty of people have had serotonin syndrome and seizures at relatively low doses. Just be smart :)

I mean they're weird pills in that they don't have any markings besides being scored. they come in blister packs and they feel like tramadol and i've seen good reviews on them. can't mention the brand because of sourcing rules but basically they are not on pill identifying sites bc they are not a US pill, for one. idk how sketchy they are.

does lack of sleep help induce tramadol seizures? also if i took a clonazepam last night should that help a little bit with not having a seizure today, given klonopins long half life?

does lack of sleep help induce tramadol seizures? also if i took a clonazepam last night should that help a little bit with not having a seizure today, given klonopins long half life?

I don't think a little sleep deprivation will have a significant impact. As for the clonazepam, it depends entirely on how that drug affects you eg tolerance. If you're benzo naive, I think it would help a little. I would still keep it under 400

In my opinion, I could really see a Benzodiazepine helping to negate the epileptic side-effects of Tramadol. This is kind of out of left field, but anyway. I used to experience serious convulsions when I would take Gabapentin (Neurontin) in doses that were too high. They would be so serious at times that I couldn't get out of bed for fear of falling or otherwise hurtin myself. Anyway, I ended up at the emergency room during one of these episodes and Lorazepam (Ativan) 1mg was enough to completely arrest the symptoms. That's not a large dose either.

Again, I know these instances are not terribly related, but I just thought I'd say that I've used Benzodiazepines to arrest the epileptic/convulsive effects of certain drugs with success. As you're probably aware, be careful with combining the Opioids with Benzodiazepines, even if Tramdol is a "weak" Opioid.

^keif just so you know you're inbox is full.

Also, I agree that benzos can be very helpful for preventing seizures, including those caused by tramadol overdose. That would be a first line treatment if someone went to the ER with serotonin syndrome.

hey does xanax help at all w/ tramadol seizures ? I've heard it's less of an anticonvulsant than klonopin

It would help, but you're getting into dangerous territory by combining the two. Taking more than a safe dose of tramadol w/xanax is a terrible idea because you would be somewhat seizure prone when the xanax wears off. Just keep the tramadol doses low and infrequent

In the end, I feel that it's pretty risky behavior and not something that could be considered "safe" in any way. However, in a world of many evils, sometimes we choose the lesser. If you are going to have a seizure from Tramadol, then yes, it would be good for you to medicate it and arrest it.