• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Tramadol and caffeine

trippieh3lix

Bluelighter
So I get a lot of migraines, and I read online from quite a few sources that tramadol and caffeine is a very bad mix. Ibuprofen isn’t working that well for them anymore, so I have been taking Excedrin. Not more than two every few days or so. I also drink black tea very strong to try and prevent the migraines. I noticed when I take the trams (they make me tired and I take about 100mgs a day) and stay up after I get tired, that’s when I notice the headaches get very intense.

Question is, is caffeine (200-300mgs a day) a safe combination with tramadol?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20837047
Drug combinations have been used in clinical practice for the main purpose of increasing therapeutic effect efficacy. The aim of this study was to determine the antinociceptive effect of tramadol and caffeine administered separately or in combination, as well as their synergistic interaction. The formalin test was used. Nociceptive behavior was evaluated by flinching response of the formalin-treated paw. Rats were divided into five groups and received tramadol alone (4.9-49.6mg/kg, s.c.), caffeine alone (1-17.8mg/kg, p.o.), or combinations of tramadol (4.9, 8.8, 15.6 and 20.8mg/kg, s.c.) and caffeine (1, 3.16 and 10mg/kg, p.o.). Tramadol showed dose-dependent antinociceptive effect in both phases of the formalin test. Caffeine only presented antinociceptive effect in the second phase and this effect was also dose-dependent. In Phase 1, combinations of tramadol and caffeine showed antinociceptive effect similar to that of tramadol alone. In Phase 2, the dose-response curve shifted to the left with the combination of tramadol and each dose of caffeine. Synergism analysis resulted in synergistic effect in ten combinations and antagonism in two combinations. In conclusion, the synergism observed in the majority of tramadol and caffeine combinations used in this study suggests that this drug combination is useful in the treatment of pain.
So the combo should be alright

And don't forget that caffeine can lead to rebound headaches/migraine

Thank you so much. Wish I can get them under control. Easing off caffeine, no caffeine, drinking them, trying not to take any pain meds just still brings them on. Might be the tramadol and staying up after they make me drowsy causing it.

Hi,

I do not have an answer to your specific question, but I do have something that you might want to consider. Before you take yourself down a road to nowhere with the Tramadol as a means to control your migraines, please go and see a neurologist that can help you figure out a way to manage them in another way. There are lots of options that you can try that can help you if you have not tried them. I have migraines and I have never taken opioids for them. I started out on beta blockers to keep from getting them. It worked really well, but I got depression as a side effect from them after 5 years and then the triptans came out. What a life saver. I only take one when I get the migraine and rarely have to take 2 after two hours if the first dose does not work. I take Imitrex, and it is a miracle drug.

Have you ever tried low dose barbs for migraines? I forget the name of the specific barb, but the medication is called Fioricet I think. It is a low dose of barb, plus APAP and some formulations contain a little codeine. Might be worth looking into.

Edit: actually it is APAP, butalbital and caffeine. Another formulation also contains codeine.

I find making sure I get enough sleep and am not over stressed helps a lot to control migraines. Same goes for avoiding bright light and noise when I'm having an episode.

Have you ever tried low dose barbs for migraines? I forget the name of the specific barb, but the medication is called Fioricet I think. It is a low dose of barb, plus APAP and some formulations contain a little codeine. Might be worth looking into.

Edit: actually it is APAP, butalbital and caffeine. Another formulation also contains codeine.

I find making sure I get enough sleep and am not over stressed helps a lot to control migraines. Same goes for avoiding bright light and noise when I'm having an episode.

I use a low dose (15mg) of temazepam for nasty headaches which works really well so it makes sense if barbs work similar to benzos.

Tramadol fuckin sucks stick with other opiates. But hey who am i to judge if you like trams i guessmthey r good enough for you just be careful taking large doses

TPD beat me to it. The name brand for this drug is Fioricet. This is short term / prn medication. For me it stops headaches in its tracks, but if improperly used, rebound headaches and an addiction can happen.

TPD beat me to it. The name brand for this drug is Fioricet. This is short term / prn medication. For me it stops headaches in its tracks, but if improperly used, rebound headaches and an addiction can happen.

I was on it in my early 20's and it does work really well for headaches. The only problem is that I would get in this "knee jerk" reaction of whenever I felt a twinge of a headache, I'd take one (or 2). For the record I used to get 1-3 migraines a week and was in pretty bad shape. Consequently I would blow through my script too quickly. A few months of that and adios amigos. It was probably all for the better but...

Hey guys. Sorry didn’t realize anyone else replied after my last post.

I don’t take tramadol for my migraines. I take it for my fibromyalgia and neck pain. It’s the only thing that doesn’t make me feel like total ass as Vicodin and other strong opiates can give me that hangover feeling everyday. I used to be on lyrica, nuerontin, elavil, and been on 10 other antidepressants over the years for my fibro. Tramadol is the only thing that actually does something. Who knew a drug that’s criticized and called crap here works for me? Everyone’s chemistry is different.

I do take and am prescribed Sumatriptan for migraines, but you’re only allowed to take 9 a month and I get headaches almost everyday. I was just simply asking for the sake of taking caffeine and tramadol together as I’ve read it can be a dangerous combo.. and caffeine seems to help my headaches.

Tramadol is one of the weakest opiates, but I love how they last forever. If its making you more drowsy than you'd like, maybe you can cut your dose in half and see how it works for you. As for the caffeine, I gotta have at least 1 cup of coffee a day, but maybe you should try timing when you drink it so it will work to its fullest potential.