• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tony Abbott backs legalisation of medical cannabis

Give it time it wont be long before the stigmatism of certain drug's in Australia leave without question. Also give time to the price of drugs in Australia dropping, and no I'm not going to discuss price i simply just wanted to say that.

I see the trade becoming a more expensive America but a Cheaper Australia for drug's than it currently is. I doubt it will ever be cheaper than America/Asia/Europe but we have to be thankful given our location on the the globe.

Yes i discussed price now that i think about it but in a different context then "i just bought 2 x googs for 70 bux down at the local pinny parlour"

^ I don't see the current drug prices in Australia dropping dramatically any time soon, honestly, there is no reason they should ever have been so high to begin with. Virtually all cannabis is domestically produced, a decent whack of meth is domestically produced, I have to assume most meth comes from South East Asia or China, I know when heroin was at its most popular in the last few decades (if not ever) it was coming predominantly from South East Asia.

It seems Australia has somewhat recently become a bigger blip on the radar as a lucrative market for DTO's around the world (Mexican cartels, for example), but realistically we have predominantly always been supplied (for most, not all drugs) either domestically or by our close neighbors in Asia, who manufacture drugs on a scale that can compete with just about anybody. Those who import and sell drugs have no reason to drop the prices, not while Australians continue to take exorbitantly priced drugs at the same or greater rates as most of the rest of the world, it would make no economic sense for them to do so.

On topic, it would be hard to spin this news as a bad thing, and to be truthful my first reaction was to get pretty excited about it, however, it didn't take long before my skeptic side kicked in and I tend to have a view more in line with Spacejunk's. Any medical cannabis is a step forward, but I suspect anyone who thinks this is an indication that the current Government supports anything resembling what is currently going on in a few States in North America is going to be sorely disappointed.

So many whinging lefties in this thread. People who obsess over a personality in politics instead of policy are not thinking logically. It doesn't matter who is pushing a certain policy, it is the content of the policy itself that matters. If law X is passed, whether it was party A or party B that did it makes zero difference to how law X affects us.

Yes Abbott has broken promises, but so has nearly every politician in the history of every government. At least he's (in a piss-weak way) getting us back towards being remotely financially sound.

Hopefully this is the first step to legalised recreational use! Anyone bagging this purely because it's a policy supported by Abbott is sufferring from severe mental retardation. Attack the argument, not the person...

Who is attacking the person?

I could give you a list of reasons why I loathe the Abbott government - but I also find the man objectionable on a personal level because of his aggression, his reactionary ideologies and his total lack of integrity.

Posting on bluelight to suggest we question the motives and earnestness our political leaders is not 'whinging', it's engaging in debate.
That's what democracy is all about, if you step back from the TV set.

As for politicians being liars and having no integrity; they only get away with it because we the public don't hold them to account. Voter apathy and complacency allows this pattern to continue to the level it has reached today.

Remember how much tony Abbott and his corporate media cronies carried on and on about Julia Gillard (allegedly) telling one lie?

Well, before the 2013 election, Abbott promised not to cut education funding, health funding, funding to the ABC - and a whole raft of other things which have been proven lies since he has taken office with the coalition government.
These pieces of legislation affect millions more Australians than this proposed support of a rethink of the medicinal use of cannabis.
It is not "attacking the person" to suggest Abbott has no integrity. To ignore all of his other political actions is to be taken for a ride by people that want to fuck people like you and me over.
How do I know they want to fuck you over (when I don't know anything about you)?
Well, it's a pretty safe bet, as very few people are going to be unaffected by the proposed federal budget - it fucks us all over.

It is "attacking the person" to say those of us criticising the PM are "sufferring" (I think you mean "suffering") "mental retardation".

An ad hominem imploring people to "attack the idea not the man" - how incredibly ironic.
I don't generally pick on people's spelling, but I couldn't resist that one.

If you want to believe the words of a shameless hypocrite and proven liar, be my guest.

The point is not that the federal government have any intention of passing drug law reforms (on this or any other matter - they're the most socially conservative government in living memory) - but that they are using this issue to try to gain some sort of public support (or create discussion on this 'decoy' issue) while they attempt to implement a range of austerity measures designed to benefit the elite, and that - given their track record - they are most likely bullshitting.

So, as you so graciously flung this line at us, I will flick it back at you; attack not the "left wing whingers" - but the arguments we put forward.

Why would anyone who follows australian politics believe this reactionary ideologue?
Abbott has been a federal MP for 20 years - why is he only making these statements (via that charming 'man of the people' Alan Jones) now?

He has never championed or supported this cause - it is simply a cheap stab at a populist gesture. I have said - and will continue to say - don't believe everything you read when it comes to this government.They are proven liars - more than Gillard, Rudd, Howard, Keating, Hawke or any other government in Australian history.

Even if this MMJ reform were to come to pass, it would be extremely different to the way it has been implemented in the USA (from what has already been proposed) and it does not in any way redeem this government, in my opinion.

They are still the most regressive elected representatives Australia has seen since federation.

It is not about personality - it is about integrity.

Abbott himself admits that his word cannot be trusted.

As for "getting us back towards being remotely financially sound" - that itself is a complete lie used to attempt to justify this universally unpopular, incredibly damaging austerity budget this government are attempting to ram through parliament.

If you want to talk about "logic" - ask yourself where the logic is in abolishing the Clean Energy Finance Corporation - a body that not only advanced renewable energies, but made profit in doing so.

Abbott's track record indicates that he will do anything in his power to support business (at the cost of the Australian people) - and believe it or not, "big business" (in this case "Big Pharma") is actively against medical marijuana.
I have my suspicions about Abbott's motives, but let's wait and see.
As liberal party politicians have long rallied hard against (or legislated against) cannabis law reform, I'd be pretty surprised if Mr Abbott isn't lying to us...again.

"The economy" is the most deceptive justifications for the Abbott government's agenda, no substance to it whatsoever.

The reason I suggest people use a little critical thinking on this issue (like any issue) is that it is an obvious attempt at making a statement designed to make headlines and distract the media and the public away from their social agenda.

Before we start applauding this Prime Minister, lets see some action, not just media-filtered words.
If you believe Tony Abbott on this issue, I would suggest you're being 'played like a fiddle' to use the politico vernacular.

Last edited:
If you want to believe the words of a shameless hypocrite and proven liar, be my guest.

Can't think of any politician who isn't :)

Should read up on this stuff if you haven't already -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niccolò_Machiavelli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prince

Blair kept a copy next to his bed throughout his time as prime minister.

Well said though. You're right we don't hold them to account. If only there were more people who thought critically about things and cared more.

I'm not sure, I'm just trying to clarify the fact heroin is illegal and not used in the medical system doesn't mean it's devoid of medical value.

It isn't used medicinally in australia - but it is in other countries (such as the UK).