Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Tony Abbott backs legalisation of medical cannabis

Mysterie

Bluelight Crew
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has thrown his support behind the legalisation of cannabis for medical purposes.
In a letter to talkback radio host Alan Jones, Mr Abbott went even further than NSW Premier Mike Baird – who has approved a clinical trial of the use of medical cannabis – by saying that no further testing should be needed on the drug if it is legal in similar jurisdictions.
"I have no problem with the medical use of cannabis, just as I have no problem with the medical use of opiates," Mr Abbott wrote in a letter to Jones dated August 23.
"I was under the impression that the personal use of cannabis was no longer an offence in NSW.
"If a drug is needed for a valid medicinal purpose though and is being administered safely there should be no question of its legality. And if a drug that is proven to be safe abroad is needed here it should be available.
"I agree that the regulation of medicines is a thicket of complexity, bureaucracy and corporate and institutional self interest.
"My basic contention is that something that has been found to be safe in a reliable jurisdiction shouldn't need to be tested again here."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l-cannabis-20140917-10i6eb.html#ixzz3DZ4n9lAX

kevin 07? na mate, tony 420
350.gif

Last edited:
Now if he legalized recreational use he could fix the 'budget crisis' and restore balance to the whole country. Think about it, no cuts to welfare, no cuts to education, no cuts to our healthcare, with excess cash to put back into jobs, as well as the jobs which would tag along with the whole cannabis industry.

And then Tony goes down as the greatest Prime Minister in Australian history, for making one intelligible decision.

"I was under the impression that the personal use of cannabis was no longer an offence in NSW.

Is he talking about the personal use by everyone? Like me for example. Am I allowed to use weed for my personal use now? So I can not worry about being busted? Or is he talking about for the sick and dying?

I thought the laws in NSW was something like if you are caught with under 15 grams police can use their discretion to give you a cannabis caution or they can charge you. And if you are caught with say an ounce you would still be charged and have to goto court...Is that correct?

And then Tony goes down as the greatest Prime Minister in Australian history, for making one intelligible decision.

Lol.

Wow, I've finally found a case where I don't want it legalised, fuck giving the credit to this douche.

But seriously, if it does get the 'go ahead', I'm happy.

Dr Di Natale said the Therapeutic Goods Administration should create a special category for medicinal cannabis and that it should be available under prescription from a doctor.
Queensland Liberal National Party MP Warren Entsch is also campaigning to legalise medical cannabis.
A spokeswoman for Mr Abbott confirmed the letter reflected Mr Abbott's views on the issue.

I hope if MMJ happens here it will be opened up to people with all types of pain and issues, not just the terminally ill. And hopefully people will be allowed to grow their own as well...

^ Fuck yeah I hope so, lol.. Lets do it Colorado style. I long to be able to grow my own plants legally and to be able to buy edibles, cuttings, seeds and buds labelled with THC and CBD content and variety (strain) etc...

Excuse my cynicism, but this cunt's trying anything he possibly can to turn around his staggering unpopularity.
Alan Jones is complicit with all his fucking scams.

Don't be fooled people, what he's actually implying he would support is nothing the MMJ system in places like California.

You have to be terminally ill to be considered to use and oral tincture of cannabis - that is what other Australian politicians are talking about.
This should have happened long ago - there is nothing radical about it.

People hear "I would support medical marijuana" and some of us naturally respond
"You beauty! Way to go, tony" - but look at the details - it's classic "dog whistle" politics.
These fuckers are selling all our whole country's future, destroying everything that's good and fair about Australia - don't believe the hype!

Last edited:
Yeah you are probably right. It definitely should have happened along time ago. And I hope it's not just tinctures and sativex and similar only for allowed for dying people.

Why dont the dickheads go full on like Cali or Colo and make some serious cash via the tax, shouldnt that make them all jump on board, big amounts of tax that they can spend on shit. I thought they'd be keen as to do that.

Last edited:
The federal government is engaging in "culture wars" v.2014.
Cannabis law reform is the last thing on their minds, but they'll say anything to stay in power.

As has been proven, Abbott feels no compulsion to make good on any of his promises.
He's a massive liar.

Internal opinion testing must have finally swung far enough into the pro-medical 8)

Good on him but it's totally a PR thing, instead of coming from an empathetic place. Still an important step and shows things are changing.

i kind of think its a sign that abbott realises how much australia fucking hates his guts now, so he will do or say anything in order for some of that to be forgotten, even temporarily. he is a scumbag who will lie and steal and cheat like any other major politician to protect his interests, he has no intention of furthering the cannabis movement, but i hope the fact he said what he did, might create some shift of public perception regarding weed even for terminally ill patients.

he said that he backs it for medical use just like he backs opiate use for medical purposes. I guess heroin would be ok according to that statement. Its only for medical and terminally ill. But its not moving backwards which is good I think. Its also good to see a big player like austrailia on the support side of it.

Colorado is the one to look too for this cause anyone can grow it and buy it if of age. And surprisingly no marijuana apocalypse with riots and looting has happened. They were ready for it and are making some money. The growing it puts it in the hands of the people more then in washington state where i live. Basically all that really has changed is you cant get in trouble for it. But they had their heads so far up their ass when this was voted in that its taken a long time for any progress. I guess with no massive lobbyist to pour millions of dollars into, it takes longer.They just recently started selling it in stores but now there is this shortage bullshit. Black market is probably stronger now here cause of it.

Its a fuckin herb. How can you make it illegal anyway.

Not often that Abbott has something sensible to say ....

but good to see this recognition of popular public opinion .

he said that he backs it for medical use just like he backs opiate use for medical purposes. I guess heroin would be ok according to that statement.
No, that is absolutely not what that means. Not even close.
Its also good to see a big player like austrailia on the support side of it.
"Big player"? In what sense? Australia is incredibly backwards as far as cannabis/hemp laws are concerned.
Even hemp seed food is illegal here - it must be sold as "for external use only" as a face scrub or some shit.
Our government are incredibly reactionary and tied to imperialist interests. The only thing that's big is our landmass.

Modern nation i meant. The more on board the better and it doesnt seem like a step backward. Hemp is just as illegal here.

The heroin comment is more of a joke. Sorry. Take it easy. Most of the world has been backwards on drug laws and i thought i would be much older before seeing change like im seeing today.