• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Tizanidine Withdrawals anyone?

PA2CAandback

Greenlighter
So my pain doctor put me on tizanidine after my IDET, and I've been taking it for 3 years now (8-12mg a day) with no issues. Out of the blue, he decided he wants me off long term muscle relaxers and stopped my script without warning.
Ever since I stopped, I've gotten terrible migraines (not even my rizatriptan combats them), IBS-D symptoms that can't be handled by bentyl or immodium, panic attacks, tachycardia, and lack of sleep.

Anyone else gone through this kind of withdrawal from tizanidine and know how long it lasts?

My PCP said she had no idea it would do this if stopped, so she put me on Clonidine because it works on the same receptors, but so far no luck. Hoping someone else out there has had better luck and can point me towards a way to end this withdrawal.

Using a larger dose of clonidine would be a good start. But you need to talk to your doctor, the one responsible for this, because suddenly stopping chronic, high dose alpha2 adrenoreceptor agonists can be dangerous, and provoke a hypertensive crisis. Your doctor is a fucking cretin for suddenly cutting you off like that. If you can, get back on the tizanidine and slowly reduce the dose, clonidine being around is a good idea, because its longer acting than tizanidine and works in a very similar way. Your clonidine dose sounds like its likely insufficient. Hell, buy zanaflex (tizanidine) from an online pharmacy if you have to in order to taper, because as said, that doctor is a fucking MORON to do this.

Have experienced it, but don't know how long it lasts, I've been on it at 20-24mg/d for years, after a nerve injury that causes a permanent contraction of my calf muscle in one leg, that really fucking hurts otherwise. The only reason it happened was being out a long time, coupled with some fucking psychotic bitch former housemate stealing and hiding my meds, because she was a borderline cunt from hell.

Tizanidine is definitely a med that you need to be careful quitting, mainly for potential rebound hypertension. That's from its alpha2 adrenergic agonism.

Clonidine would cover that just fine. But what makes these drugs, or at least clonidine and guanfacine, interesting is their activity on imidazoline receptors. Those are thought to be more important than hand-waving over alpha2 agonism, for relief of ADD symptoms.

Did you realize you were taking an ADD med? Tizanidine doesn't get the same press as clonidine, but it actually has stronger affinity for imidazoline receptors than clonidine. I've heard both that and adrenergic activity as responsible for antidepressant effects, so it's probably a third receptor we don't know about.

Did you realize you were taking an antidepressant? Likewise doesn't get the same press, same function though.

Clonidine is also the best treatment, clinically, for PTSD-induced nightmare sleep disturbance.

Did you . . . yeah, anyway, since tizanidine has a stronger affinity for the imidazoline receptor, you could mention to your other doctor that going 1:1 with clonidine might not totally restore you to prior glory, like maybe 2:1 (clonidine:tizanidine) would work better.

But before that, you could ask the other other doctor, why she chose to cut you off. I mean, you hired her, you can fire her, you can certainly ask her "what the fuck?" Tizanidine does have a lot of drug interactions, and isn't something you want to over- or under-dose on, so she might have a good reason.

And why that other receptor? Your symptoms fit more with the psychological and cognition side, rather than blood pressure; and imidazoline might explain the connection.

Last edited:
Since it appears as though you may know something about the pharmacology of imidazoline receptors, would you be so kind as to enlighten me more in depth on them and their subtypes? (by more in depth, don't worry about 'too much', just think 'this is a guy who if he sees an all-you-can-eat buffet who's special of the day is 'pharmacology data with a side dish of neurophysiology, sprinkled with a psychiatry dressing for extra flavor, he is going to complain to the chef if they object to taking 'all you can eat' literally to the point where one ends up first biting off several digits belonging to the first complainant, followed by walking out, chewing on a table-leg and muttering things about 'lying greedy bastards' when kicked out of the restaurant for eating too much like a greedy little piggie(hating sonofabitch=D)

I've long been interested in knowing more in depth about imidazoline receptors.

Not a bad idea regarding the clonidine/tizanidine mix. To help taper the clonidine, as well as have it stabilize and be able to drop real gradually, then you could start using clonidine transdermal patches, which can be cut, can't they? without insides coming, well, outside.

The idea being to bit by bit, after (with initially using tablets also for the switchover, because transdermal patches can be a bit of a pain in the bollocks sometimes, for things like not sticking properly, coming off and being impossible to reapply, as well as for the first one used, there being a pretty damn significant time between applying a patch and the active drug being released into the body in sufficient concentrations to exert the proper effect.) cut them down in size, and taper off if you have to.

And yeah your doctor is a stupid cock-gargling jizm-stain on the toilet bowl of a greasy, stinking cheap ass dive bar in hell where the beer is utterly shit even before it got watered down. She needs to be cut into lots of little pieces, then the pieces lined up and shot at dawn. With a firework inserted into whatever piece happens to have the anus attached. Sheesh! what a goddamned puppyfucking sphincter-goblin. Sounds like she could guillotine herself, and superglue a pumpkin to the top of her spinal column and not only still manage to function but actually gain several tens of IQ points. Even a rotten pumpkin would be an improvement. And at least then people could do what needs to be done with that doctor and shoot it to pieces with gauss pistol/rifle/railgun rounds, airguns and zap it with microwaves coupled to a waveguide and capacitor bank. Maybe broil her carved out jack-o-lantern eyeballs with the occasional improvised flamethrower whilst screaming the words 'stupid' 'bitch' and 'fucking', not necessarily however, in that specific order.

Also, I could see there not needing to be another receptor type than alpha2 and its subtypes and imidazoline receptor types for the ADD meds effect. Noradrenaline can prime us for focusing, and too little can make it difficult, (clonidine is used in research into learning, memory, LTP etc and nootropic drugs for testing animal reactions, because it can in sufficient doses be amnestic.)

And of course WAY too much nor/adrenergic neurotransmission is well known for giving the subject 'tunnel vision', it is afterall, key to the fight or flight response. You don't need to remember when a man-eating tiger is chasing after you fixing to crack open your skull and use its rough feline tongue to rasp off the layers of your cerebral cortex cell layer by cell layer, like a blood-squirting lollypop. You don't need the details, you need to realize 'its going to fucking eat me, can I kill it, y/n? if 'no' then 'runthefuckaway and throw old people at it to slow it down' My guess is there is a quite finely tuned balance in dosing clonidine etc. for ADD, where too much, is amnestic and sedative whereas too little is either useless or finds another way to start causing trouble such as binding and activating autoreceptor just slightly enough to make concentration shittier and the subject more likely to start running round the classroom bellowing xmas carols which they've changed every instance of the words 'christmas' 'jesus' and 'manger' to 'paedophile' 'naked scrotum' and 'there is just enough room left up in my bum' whilst squealing in the ears of their classmates. Or running in and out of the dorm blocks all fucking night long waking people by shouting in their face whilst they slept until someone ends up pinning them to the wall and beating them black and blue =D

(yeah, I had some little shit ADHD kids alright, in my school, if it wasn't obvious ;) )

Anyhow the imidazoline receptors, some of them at least, do look interesting. Anything you'd recommend as a primer? particularly on the brain type, I2 IIRC.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29451703

An odd one, - "Selective depletion of serotonin or norephinephrine nearly abolished 2-BFI-induced antinociception. 5-HT1A , 5-HT2A , and α1 -adrenergic receptor antagonists but not other monoaminergic antagonists attenuated 2-BFI and CR4056-induced antinociception in CCI and/or CFA models."

One could propose then that some of these imidazoline receptor agonists lead to 5-HT release with effects at 5-HT1A/5-HT2A, which could then eventually lead to withdrawal symptoms via a deficit of 5-HT1A/5-HT2A signaling at those specific receptor populations

So my pain doctor put me on tizanidine after my IDET, and I've been taking it for 3 years now (8-12mg a day) with no issues. Out of the blue, he decided he wants me off long term muscle relaxers and stopped my script without warning.
Ever since I stopped, I've gotten terrible migraines (not even my rizatriptan combats them), IBS-D symptoms that can't be handled by bentyl or immodium, panic attacks, tachycardia, and lack of sleep.

Anyone else gone through this kind of withdrawal from tizanidine and know how long it lasts?

My PCP said she had no idea it would do this if stopped, so she put me on Clonidine because it works on the same receptors, but so far no luck. Hoping someone else out there has had better luck and can point me towards a way to end this withdrawal.

We’re you able to get off the tizanadine?

I was taking Zanaflex for about 3 years up until this year when I ended up in ICU for 12 days due to Zanaflex withdrawal and it was super scary. I was taking it on a regular basis with hydrocodone and 150mcg of Belbucca. I stopped the pain meds,with no issues and I then increased the Zanaflex on my own for about a year taking up to 10 a day. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and had no idea that Zanaflex was as addictive and how horribly-freaking-brutal my hospitalstay was about to be. Their were many occasions I'd run out and experience tachycardia,dizziness etc..and have terrible withdrawal symptoms which happen fast compared to other meds in my experience. It was a roller-coaster of emotions. Zanaflex is no joke and I warn anyone who decides to take it to tread lightly. I even had Zanaflex with me while I was hospitalized and took it,and then I ran out and couldn't get any which I'd usually buy online to hold me over until my regular prescription was due. I was initially admitted with a dysautonomia diagnosis then after I was out of Zanaflex started having extremely high blood pressure and tachycardia then the bonus of uncontrollable tremors that lasted for about 14 hours then would come occasionally. I was surrounded by 2 doctors and several nurses trying to get me stabilized for hours. They put in a arterial line and at one point due to my heart rate being in the 180's sustained, were going to give me a drug to "reset" my heart rate. Also known as a "chemical cardioversion" if I'm not mistaken. They came in with everything and was preparing to give me the medication and I told them no,I wasn't doing it. I was already freaked out. So, I had several days of high BP and tachycardia which would increase more if I exerted myself. They tried several IV meds to lower it all,which took a very longtime. The main doctor and I spoke and he said he's only seen Tizanidine twice including myself. So, that wasn't his first diagnosis even though he was aware that I was getting 180 tabs monthly for 3 yrs. It was a horrible experience and I hope this thread gets seen by many who are considering Zanaflex as a regular medicine or for recreational use. I've used it both ways. I strongly recommend another muscle relaxer unless you rarely use it. I think issues are going to arise from it in the future. I've only read about a few case studies online where withdrawal has been problematic with the same issues I've had. This drug is so unpredictable in so many ways. If you take it on a empty stomach, before eating or after it will effect you completely different, well in my experiences anyway. The last time I took 2 4mg I took them 30min before eating so about an hour later after lunch I could barely hold my head upright and my BP was 55/40. I'm not saying any of this will be experienced by anyone that reads this,just sharing my experience with it. Research it and read the pharmacokinetics. It can be brutal on your metabolism after taking it for a long time and abruptly stopping it. I 100% learned the hard way.