• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tips to kick mental Coke reliance

Tminthepm

Greenlighter
Advice for someone who does a small ($20-50) shot or smoke most (about 5) nights after work. Along with a few drinks. Never binges or during the day but can't break the after work run. Usually abstain on days off even. Replace it with something else? A drug, activity, anyone have anything work for them? Feeling so weak and frustrated...also part of situation is wife and I often motivate opposite- like when I don't want to she does and vice versa and we always give in to each otherl

Exercise, adrenaline chasing, things like that really help. When I got off coke a buddy and I spent a summer chasing adrenaline rushes, diving off bluffs, driving fast, climbing, anything to get the blood pumping.

Have you tried longish (whatever that is for your current fitness) distance running. I run like five miles in a hour blasting very fast techno and end up drentched.

It hurts ALOT. But like its so intense it is very similar to drugs in my experiance. Like i feel like i escape my head and i feel this present moment and after i feel like numb and really calm to the point that too kinda feels like a drug. I just put on some gentle music and become a semi alert blob on a chair.

^ Those are great suggestions - get the adrenaline pumping to stave off cravings. Anything to get your mind off the cocaine. Key is looking forward to it the same way you would when you're getting ready to score. Also, know your triggers- you mentioned the routine after work. For me, I couldn't take a certain route home because that was when and where I would cop crack. It was just too tempting if I had the cash in my pocket.

Next would be getting your wife on board with the plan. I've been that partner with good intentions but easily gave in at the subtle suggestion of getting high (but I could also been the instigator) Have the two of you ever been to an NA meeting? That might be a good place to find new friends trying to get clean. I'm going to move this over to Sober Living and hope you find some helpful tips. <3

I currently am going through the same thing with the crack...it's like every time I get paid I pick up a ball and smoke it/ shoot it all to myself. What happens is i think about it..then more and more to I'm basically daydreaming about coming home locking my door and doing a fat hit or shot..I know it's going to be the same as the last time but I somehow convince myself it will be better than the last time. It's insanity because I've been getting the same results for what...16 years now. What I do to stop myself (when it works) is think about how much money I just gave away..for something I'm not physically dependent on..how much money my guy profited of my weak ass. I'm really into musky fishing so I think about all the new lures, reel, rods that I really want that I can't get now because I wanted to smoke rocks for like 10 hours straight..so I guess pretty much I try to get myself feeling foolish for wasting that type of money so I feel like kicking my own ass in hopes that I'll feel stupid enough to deter me from making that purchase. Works sometimes..oh and like stated above do something you enjoy equally or more that releases adrenaline/dopamine ...for me it's fishing, seeing that big musky follow your lure up to the boat..gets the blood pumping EVERY TIME and never gets old! Giving a crack dealer a big part of your check does get old lol!

I'm going through something similar- except w heroin and husband. We're on the process of stopping ( on Subutex).

I'll be doing great, going to NA meetings and my husband gets a bundle. W. T. F. At times, it's me too. I am unable to be in the vicinity of anyone shooting dope.

We're getting better at it. But sheesh. It's difficult.

My goal in NA (besides recovery of course) is meeting sober friends to build a strong support network. Then I'd have people to call when I'm in difficult using circ