• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tip for cold turkey withdrawal I just learned

inflagranteineveryway

Bluelighter
I thought I would just throw this out here while I was thinking about it, sitting here at day 6 in the worst self induced opiate withdrawal of my life: I could write a novel about what I've experienced over the last 6 days, and today is really the first day I can even type on a keyboard because of the hellscape it has been, but I thought I would share this one tiny universal tip that I think I credit with keeping me from totally losing it.

Super hot showers, all the time.

This sounds simplistic, and it's certainly nothing compared to the myriad medicinal/nutritional aids that can help, but I just never saw anyone else talk about this incredibly simple thing to do. I originally started just turning around in circles under a scalding hot shower stream because of the horrific skin crawls/restless legs madness that for me are worse than all the physical pain. They lasted almost three days and I wanted to climb up to my roof and throw myself off of it. Flailing around on my bed, unable to sit still for more than 3 seconds, pacing around my house at 3am feeling like I could climb the walls with nothing but my fingers and toes; I kept getting back into the hot shower. I would say I got into the hot shower and just kind of stepped in place or whatever I had to under the hot stream and it........actually helped. In fact, I would drag myself into the shower, unable to just stand still, but found that after just a few minutes I was able to kind of just sort of stand there with my head hung, letting the water pummel my back and neck, and I stopped having to move so much. The fidgits seemed to subside for the remainder of the shower - and for a period of time afterwards.

The obvious other benefits - muscle and pain relief when there is no one to massage you or help in any way, not to mention how underrated cleanliness is during this time are also of benefit. It's the toughest psychological fight of your life, and oftentimes a self done home withdrawal is just a nasty week in hell of stomach ailments, and usually the last thing you can even think of is keeping your room/area clean, as well as yourself. I mean for long periods of it you can barely even walk or move or bend over at times, so I think oftentimes people just allow themselves to let everything go in this department, thinking they'll just clean up when it's over. Again, every psychological trick in the book is handy, and the side benefit of the constant scalding showers is that your body stays pristine throughout and believe it or not, it really helped with the mental torture. I am not talking about dressing well or even attempting to look good or even do a thing to my hair other than let the water go through it. I'm talking simply standing under the water and letting it do the work.

I know this is a very small thing, but I wanted to share it because when you are in an unholy withdrawal you will do literally anything to take even the smallest bit of suffering off of you to soldier on and not quit. I will never forget how helpful this was to me and I wanted to share.

To be clear: I'm not just saying "take a shower". I'm saying I pretty much lived in that thing for 2 straight days as a form of therapy. Every few hours, round the clock. It helped me, maybe it can help you.

Best wishes people.

"Feeling like I could climb the walls with nothing but my fingers and toes."
What the hell lmao. That's the best thing I've heard in ages and really does sort of capture the feeling of utter jittery restless fuckery.

What the hell lmao. That's the best thing I've heard in ages and really does sort of capture the feeling of utter jittery restless fuckery.
When I'm not fighting crime/withdrawing from opiates, I am a writer by day. Looking back now I can't believe I was able to write even something as simple as this at the time. What a nightmare hellscape of a week+.

Yup when I was going thru it I probably took 7-8 hot baths a day . It was the only time I felt normal . Then you get out and dry off then it sucks again .
At day 6 you should be over the hump now or pretty soon at least for the physical stuff.

When I'm not fighting crime/withdrawing from opiates, I am a writer by day. Looking back now I can't believe I was able to write even something as simple as this at the time. What a nightmare hellscape of a week+.
I'm in the same boat. I look back at the stuff I write on opiates with a strange sense of nostalgia and sadness. The stuff that comes out of me when I'm high is really eloquent and yet somehow abstract, like a combination of Kafka, Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson. My hydromorphone addiction was the only time I had the focus and drive to actually sit down and write a book cover to cover.

I managed to score a job writing for a living, which is awesome. But since then I haven't really put a lot of time into passion writing.

It really does ay!!
I also describe that feeling as my body trying to claw its way out of my skin.

It doesn't help or hurt that I am severely bipolar. I was in the depths of the worst depressive period I had in 10 years this winter and spring after my father died which led to the "fuck it" attitude with taking drugs. I knew and I legit didn't care. Which is why I chose to give myself two weeks in hell getting off of them. I could have continued on, or even tapered down, I just knew I needed something huge to put a massive period.....or rather, exclamation point....onto the end of that 6 month drug fueled sentence so I would remember the withdrawal more than the highs. It's very effective in that regard. I did that once before almost 15 years ago, and it worked for a very long time. I guess we all have to teach ourselves lessons over and over. Unfortunately, the instant I closed in on the end of the withdrawal I immediately shot into a huge manic episode, which is where I am now. I can't control my racing inner dialogue and am glad I don't keep guns in the house because I would be temped some nights to put a bullet in my head*.

*not really, just being dramatic

I need to see if there is a place here on Bluelight for people dealing with bipolar by self medicating with opiates/benzos. Benzos give me zero pleasurable sensations or high, they simply make me sleepy, which does help control the incessant thoughts that pile up and jam my brain, making my head feel like a hornet's nest. Opiates are the "miracle" drug for this purpose, not only do they slow down the mania they wrap up the drug induced quiet peace inside a nice cocoon of euphoria and feeling that all is right with the world. What a double-edged sword.

EDIT: Incidentally, my GP is wonderful and prescribes 60 valium every 30 days for me, which is largely unheard of for a family doctor. He has been trying his best to help me with my bipolar because I refuse to see a shrink again, my last experience with one was 15 years ago and it was horrible. The guy spent a grand total of maybe 15 minutes talking to me before the prescription pad came out, and every time I went back he barely looked up from the pad as he kept adding to the stack. By the time I decided I was done with him I was on over $1000 worth of psychopharmacologicals every month. When he finally added lithium to the mix and it was so incapacitating I had to have help just getting down three steps on my front porch stoop because the muscle tremors were so bad, I dumped everything and never went back.

Last edited: