Time to pay the piper. (pod withdrawal)

LayedBack

Greenlighter
Sorry for the long post, if you don't want to read you can skip to part 2 -

So I started drinking the tea daily for a little over a year now, due to some pretty bad chronic pain I've developed. Doctors aren't sure what is causing it, but it's been extremely frustrating being in pain at 20 years old, and unable to work.

I usually usually use around 25 grams in a tea, and eat spoonfuls while I steep the tea. Also I've been getting hydrocodone for a couple of months now, but I don't really have a habit for that yet. I've never ran out, and only tried to quit one other time. It was 7-8 months ago, I quit cold turkey and was definitely one of the worst experiences of my life. The first week was awful. I remember even at day 14 not being able to work, was too unfocused and depressed to drive.

Well this time I have never had more reasons to quit the poppies then now, I'm quite motivated to do this, but also pretty nervous...

My grandmother has invited me to come to Israel with her for a couple of weeks, she will be paying! I've never been out of the country, I have a little over a month to get off the pods because obviously I can't bring them with me.

Also I can't afford the habit any longer. And while it gives me pain relief, it also is preventing me from checking in too a pain management clinic, because my system won't be clean when they drug test.

----------------------------------------
I'm faced with a dillema, I have to get off pods by January but I also have to be feeling good and happy when I go to Israel. I initially thought to cut my dose in half, and then cold turkey, but I realized I would feel like crap for a month, and the PAWs would be hitting me in early January.

So in order to feel good by January I realized I'm going to have to quit the pods all at once... 25 grams a day plus I eat spoonfuls of grounds while my tea steeps.. Damn..

I guess now I'm coming up with a plan, since I have a few days before withdrawal. (have to take care of a few things before I have the time)

Withdrawal will start in 4 days, gonna just gonna stop taking them. So far I'm thinking of using tramadol and loperamide to help ease my poppy withdrawals. They are pretty long-lasting so I'm hoping it will take away at least 35-40%. I can't use more than 200mg tram a day though. And I can't use hydrocodone because they're limited and I need to save them for my trip.

I will be bringing about 80 10mg hydros to Israel, as well as some codeine, and tramadol. Maybe a little loperamide as well. I just want to make sure I feel happy and comfortable, no need to waste the trip. (I have practically no money, the only things I can spare for withdrawal is tramadol and lope, codeine and hydro is off limits until israel)

If anybody has any experience with opioid withdrawal, specifically poppy please feel free to offer any advice or support. I will be checking in to this thread every 4-5 days probably. I start withdrawal in 4 days.

Don't you just hate when you know hell is coming....

Thats gonna be one helllova mission friend, cant eally offer u any advice as i tapered off pods/ seeds.... sounds like the plan u have is ok, id maybe speak to a doc although that may not b an option 4 u....
keep us up to date on how ur goin hey LayedBack.
Wishing you the best of luck.

I don't have any advice about the pods but have you checked whether you'll be able to take your prescription meds into Israel?

Scottyboy - Yeah the only experience I have with withdrawal was with poppies and I failed after day 14. Was feeling alright but cravings and depression got the better of me.

Some pretty experienced people have told me morphine and poppies were the worst withdrawals they've been through. And these are people who have kicked heroin. The reasoning is because the withdrawal process is much longer, being that morphine's half-life is much longer. Same thing with methadone, and PAWs is killer.

Saying that heroin and all other opioids all have horrible withdrawals, I'm sure some people have a worst time kicking heroin. Or methadone, and god forbid if anyone has to get off oxymorphone!

I've done my reading haha. Withdrawal is very shitty with chronic pain, because then pain levels go up on top of everything.

SMFG - Thank you for the kind words. I can't really go to a doctor, I have to be on the down low about the poppies. If they knew I was using it would be much harder for me to get pain meds.

All in all I feel optimistic about this. With tramadol, loperamide, some hot salt baths and a few movies, I'm hopeful that I can get through this. Life could be much better off the pods.

Last edited:
Wow..I'm a "pod person" too so I know where you're coming from. The only thing I can offer you is support , best wishes and hope. I'll be trying to taper/quit soon, when I have some time off from work, so I'll be right in that boat with you. Just reading this makes me shiver. Pod withdrawal not intense? You've gotta be kidding me? Let us know how you're doing...I wish you the best and may your recovery be...well may it just be.

I don't have any advice about the pods but have you checked whether you'll be able to take your prescription meds into Israel?

Well one source says codeine is legal and sold in pharmacies in Israel. So that one will be fine.

As far as prescriptions go, I certainly hope they don't take away my hydrocodone and tramadol. That would be pretty fucked to take prescribed medication away from someone in pain. Would ruin my trip!

I'm not too worried about it, I don't think they will care much.

Wow..I'm a "pod person" too so I know where you're coming from. The only thing I can offer you is support , best wishes and hope. I'll be trying to taper/quit soon, when I have some time off from work, so I'll be right in that boat with you. Just reading this makes me shiver. Pod withdrawal not intense? You've gotta be kidding me? Let us know how you're doing...I wish you the best and may your recovery be...well may it just be.

Thanks man, I hope things go well for you too. Many of us pod heads have been kicking the past year, mainly because of The Great Poppy Pod Depression of 2010!

I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks. But if I can feel good and have fun in Israel, then come back and go to a pain management clinic.... Man my life wouldn't be half bad. I really need some good things happening right now.

Last edited:
so you have tramadol, codeine and loperamide to fend off withdrawals? IMO, you are fine. No need to worry at all. by itself if taken in extreme amounts LOPERAMIDE is enough to knock out ALL of your wd's in about an hour or two. I can speak from personal exp with the loperamide. It works if you are willing to take a TON of it (15-20 pills) at once. Seriously, you might think I'm bsing but try it....it works like a charm. ask around on here..........loperamide ALONE has saved many.

if you have all that other stuff you are going to be just fine......I'd just stick with Loperamide though and dont take the hydro's.....been down that road as well and wding from hydro's insnt exactly fun either................

read enitre thread and realize I dont know much about pod wd. just opiate wd. I apologize for minimizing any pain you might or might not feel.

Well one source says codeine is legal and sold in pharmacies in Israel. So that one will be fine.

As far as prescriptions go, I certainly hope they don't take away my hydrocodone and tramadol. That would be pretty fucked to take prescribed medication away from someone in pain. Would ruin my trip!

I'm not too worried about it, I don't think they will care much.

Thanks man, I hope things go well for you too. Many of us pod heads have been kicking the past year, mainly because of The Great Poppy Pod Depression of 2010!

I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks. But if I can feel good and have fun in Israel, then come back and go to a pain management clinic.... Man my life wouldn't be half bad. I really need some good things happening right now.

You're welcome...btw, I'm a woman, not a man :D.
I'll tell you something, if poppies were still plentiful and cheap, I probably wouldn't be thinking too hard of quiting just yet, but the situation with the shortage and the expense has become unsustainable. I have to ration my doses, to the point where I spend at least half the day feeling like crap anyway, so what's the point?
But enough about me, this thread is about you and your recovery...once again all the best and I hope you have a great time in Israel! BTW, I've always wanted to go there someday, myself. Maybe someday I will. Dang, there I go talking about me again...sorry!:)

so you have tramadol, codeine and loperamide to fend off withdrawals? IMO, you are fine. No need to worry at all. by itself if taken in extreme amounts LOPERAMIDE is enough to knock out ALL of your wd's in about an hour or two. I can speak from personal exp with the loperamide. It works if you are willing to take a TON of it (15-20 pills) at once. Seriously, you might think I'm bsing but try it....it works like a charm. ask around on here..........loperamide ALONE has saved many.

if you have all that other stuff you are going to be just fine......I'd just stick with Loperamide though and dont take the hydro's.....been down that road as well and wding from hydro's insnt exactly fun either................

Thanks that is very reassuring. I'm definitely putting loperamide to the test, I will be buying some big value bottles from walmart. I do have plenty of tramadol to take as well.

I actually don't have codeine for withdrawal. I planned on buying a few 30mgs to take to Israel with me. Just making sure I will feel good over there so I can experience everything to the fullest.

You're welcome...btw, I'm a woman, not a man :D.
I'll tell you something, if poppies were still plentiful and cheap, I probably wouldn't be thinking too hard of quiting just yet, but the situation with the shortage and the expense has become unsustainable. I have to ration my doses, to the point where I spend at least half the day feeling like crap anyway, so what's the point?
But enough about me, this thread is about you and your recovery...once again all the best and I hope you have a great time in Israel! BTW, I've always wanted to go there someday, myself. Maybe someday I will. Dang, there I go talking about me again...sorry!:)

I will remember to keep in mind that you are female, I can imagine the assumptions being pretty annoying after a while haha.

By all means you can talk about yourself, I don't mind. I especially like to hear about others experience with opiates, and what they find helpful.

I should have a blast in Israel! Never left the USA, but always wanted to. My grandmother has been there 2-3 times, of course she has been everywhere at least once. She likes it there a lot, and spending time with her will be awesome. I'm sure she will show me a good time, nice restaurants, entertainment, and hopefully I can get some good pictures.

The ultram will definitely help. Save it for the night time so you can at least get some sleep. Ultram has always really helped me to get off opiates. Also, they won't really get you high but they've let me function. All the best!!

I actually have good news!!! My grandmother has offered to take me anywhere in the world I want! She was even talking about a cruise that tours through Europe!

I am so unbelievably stoked, have wanted to get out of the country for a long time. I'm thinking I could go to Britain, Ireland, and Scotland if only one area. But I'd love to see France and Spain as well.

And the good part is I can decide when we go, as long as it's by next Spring!

So basically my dream is coming true, and I don't have to go through a horribly excrutiating withdrawal haha. I guess what I'm going to do is taper through December, maybe january, then jump off.

So I don't really have any problems now. When I do make the final jump I'll probably come back to talk about it. Even getting off 5-10 grams can be rough after using for over a year.

Thanks for the support and kind words, bluelight is a great place.

I actually have good news!!! My grandmother has offered to take me anywhere in the world I want! She was even talking about a cruise that tours through Europe!

I am so unbelievably stoked, have wanted to get out of the country for a long time. I'm thinking I could go to Britain, Ireland, and Scotland if only one area. But I'd love to see France and Spain as well.

And the good part is I can decide when we go, as long as it's by next Spring!

So basically my dream is coming true, and I don't have to go through a horribly excrutiating withdrawal haha. I guess what I'm going to do is taper through December, maybe january, then jump off.

So I don't really have any problems now. When I do make the final jump I'll probably come back to talk about it. Even getting off 5-10 grams can be rough after using for over a year.

Thanks for the support and kind words, bluelight is a great place.
What a wonderful grandmother! She obviously loves you alot. Hope you have great times on your trip or trips. Are you still going to Israel?
Good luck with the taper. Hope its as painfree as possible and that you make it all the way.

Yeah she is definitely great. She's pretty wealthy and travels the world a lot, and with the chronic pain and everything going on in my life I guess she just wants to make it better.

I don't think we will be going to Israel after all, because the people we were going with want to leave soon, but I won't have my passport and I need some time to get clean.

Thanks for the kind words, I definitely feel like I'm going to get past this pod addiction, can't let an opportunity like this pass by!

Pod withdrawl imo is not nearly as intense as hard opiate withdrawls like Oxy or Heroin

Are you kidding? Pod withdrawal is probably the toughest next to methadone, I would rather detox oxy or H any day over pods.

With that being said, it is do-able with the power of positive thinking. It will suck very badly, but it will end. Best of luck, OP! <3

I just got back from Israel and I'm planning on doing Aliyah and going back.. just so you know Nurofen Plus is ibuprofen + codeine you can get over the counter there.. otherwise I recommend following the standard detox guides.. maybe taper a bit first.

oh nevermind I see you're not going now.. that's unfortunate it's a beautiful country.

I just got back from Israel and I'm planning on doing Aliyah and going back.. just so you know Nurofen Plus is ibuprofen + codeine you can get over the counter there.. otherwise I recommend following the standard detox guides.. maybe taper a bit first.

oh nevermind I see you're not going now.. that's unfortunate it's a beautiful country.

I've heard it's beautiful I really wanted to go to Jerusalum.

Thing is my grandmother and I just went to a travel agent and have been looking at tours. She let me choose one that is going to London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Switzerland, and Germany!!! And we might hit Ireland before all of this.

This is in May so I have 5 months to taper now! Dude it feels like my life went from rock bottom to sky high over night!!!

Thanks for the support everyone.

Good I'm glad to hear that. I've been to most of those countries but I like Israel more. :]

Although Switzerland and Nederlands in particular are fun.

Oh yeah amsterdam is included!!! You know what I'm totally going to go off on my own fuck the tour in amsterdam haha. I'm going to hit the coffee shops.

I heard switzerland is awesome as well.

Thing is the tour is 15 days, I only really get a day or two in each country. But at the same time since I haven't ever been out of the US I'd rather see a lot of countries then just one exclusively.

Then next time I will go to one country only to really enjoy the culture.