• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Time it takes for valium dependency

Quittingforsure

Greenlighter
Just joined, after finding many answers when I'd Google about stuff, that lead to the forums here. I decided to join and get some help with a possible problem I may have, because I've seen such good advice prior to joining.

I've been taking valium for nearly a month, somedays not at all, some day maybe three. They're 10mg pills. My concern is, once my month is up, am I going to go thru withdrawal? Has that length of time of taking them off and on been long enough to cause trouble when I don't need them anymore?

I hooe that's even a question that's possible to answer. Reason I needed them was traumatic experience recently that caused anxiety and sleeplessness, and I'm feeling mentally that the month was enough to get me thru.

Appreciate any advice anyone has for me.

I just realized I wasn't supposed to ask questions like that in the member introduction forum, I'm sorry. Can an admin help me move it where it should go? I'm terribly sorry for that.

You may go through mild withdrawals, but don't worry about it, it won't last very long.

New Member Introductions --> Other Drugs

edit : just saw your second post, don't worry :)

No, you will be fine. You might become mildly anxious, depressed and having trouble falling asleep. But other than that you're good.

You should only have mild anxiety, nothing to bad......also, you might have trouble sleeping a few nights.

30 days is not a long time. However 30 Mgs a day is hitting pretty hard for someone with no tolerance.
Also, did you drink alcohol as well?
Not hardcore physical withdrawals but; you may want to taper down.
Take less and less per day until you run out.

It's good to remember that Benzodiazepines are very effective.
But their power comes with a higher risk of addiction. And in my experience heavy physical withdrawal symptoms from excessive use are as nasty as Opiare withdrawal

30 days is not a long time. However 30 Mgs a day is hitting pretty hard for someone with no tolerance.
Also, did you drink alcohol as well?
Not hardcore physical withdrawals but; you may want to taper down.
Take less and less per day until you run out.

Please taper. Benzo WD's are more formidable than any opiate/oid i've ever been through. I remember when I first took Klonopin. It solved ALL my anxiety issues, literally. I was a new person. Then, for whatever reason, my doctor decided that he didn't prescribe benzos any more. I was on 2mg per day for 2 months. I didn't get a chance to taper, which was very irresponsible on the doctor's part. So, instead of just white-knuckling up and doin it cold turkey, I went to the street and met xanax and valium and ativan. IME, I can't do benzo WD's. I don't suffer from depression regularly, but after about 6 days without, I was seriously considering suicide. I'm sorry if this is scary. It's just my personal story.

TAPER to as low a dose as you can, then start skipping days. Spread those meds out for as long as you can or you will suffer.

I agree. I am the same. I needed z doctor but found them unwilling to help me.
I went online. I over medicated.
It was devastating to my life.
I quit without tapering and suffered tremendously.

respect any drug of choice and it will respect you back abuse it well...prepare to get F*****
stay at a low dose and don't use it everyday and you'll be ok
addiction is nothing more than keeping your hand out of the cookie jar it can be done
dependency is not something to mess around with
benzo WD will make anxiety and sleeping issues feel like a day at the beach

Id be taking 5mg a day for next month or u will be tense as a monkeys asshole for a week

respect any drug of choice and it will respect you back abuse it well...prepare to get F*****
stay at a low dose and don't use it everyday and you'll be ok
addiction is nothing more than keeping your hand out of the cookie jar it can be done
dependency is not something to mess around with
benzo WD will make anxiety and sleeping issues feel like a day at the beach
Well said !

Ok, doesn't sound too scary then! At one time, years ago, I could swallow 12 10/325 vicodins and walk a straight line. Yes, twelve. I'd say my tolerance to just about anything is comparable to an elephant....lol. Glad that's behind me. I never had any experience with benzos until now, and I'm already almost done. No alcohol at all, ever.

And geezus, opiate withdrawal is bad enough! I remember loperamide helped a lot during that time, would that help here if necessary? Probably not, not dealing with opiates, duh. Whew....ok, I'm splitting every pill I have left into quarters and taking that much only at all when absolutely necessary.

Ok, doesn't sound too scary then! At one time, years ago, I could swallow 12 10/325 vicodins and walk a straight line. Yes, twelve. I'd say my tolerance to just about anything is comparable to an elephant....lol. Glad that's behind me. I never had any experience with benzos until now, and I'm already almost done. No alcohol at all, ever.

That's not even equal to a single oxy 80mg, small habit :D

Ok good then, maybe it wasn't so much afterall! Wasn't bragging, man...what an awful time. And expensive!

I was on 20mg a day for a year or so, never abused it, took my 20mg a day as recommended. I quit CT and the next 6 weeks of my life were pretty horrible. The problem with valium is that it has active metabolites with long half lives, so if you take 20mg a day, after about 5 days, you essentially have 40mg in your system

It varies. Since most benzos are slated for short-term use (2-4 weeks), I'd think that being on them any more than that general time-frame would produce physical dependence. The withdrawal from valium will be longer than that of the more short-acting benzos, but it will be less intense. Valium is frequently used to taper down from other benzo habits. Since you're already on valium, the taper (which you should discuss with your doctor) won't likely include switching to another agent, so you're a step ahead. That said, 30mg is quite a dose. I believe 5mg valium equals about 1mg klonopin, though it varies by individual. I think you'll be fine. It's good that you're looking at getting off of it (provided it's a good medical route). Some people do though need a benzo. Hope you have a fast recovery!

Oh that sounds scary. Well, I didn't have any yesterday or today, can't see that I will anymore either. I have them split and quartered and won't take more than a quarter of one IF I feel like I even need one.

It varies. Since most benzos are slated for short-term use (2-4 weeks), I'd think that being on them any more than that general time-frame would produce physical dependence

They do, but so does Celexa, Buspar and other "anxiety" meds a doctor will prescribe. Cold Turkey Celexa WD is literally a week-long headache accompanied by depression, light sensitivity (basically what you deal with when you quit benzos). Plus, these alternatives to benzos are generally more expensive and do not work for acute anxiety. What are we supposed to be taking if we do, in fact, suffer from anxiety?