• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tianeptine QSAR

AlsoTapered

Bluelighter
There are 20 patents that examine the QSAR of tianeptine after it's opiate activity was discovered. The most interesting is:

US20190047970A1 'Carboxylic diarylthiazepineamines as mu-opioid receptor agonists'

Which discloses a closely related compound that demonstrates MOR affinity over x160 higher (at the MOR) but (negligible) DOR activity. Now, the study doesn't demonstrate if the ligand is a superagonist (like tianeptine) or indeed agonist, partial agonist, silent agonist, inverse agonist or antagonist.

What it DOES underline is the size of the 3 substituent. I am reminded of ciramadol. Reaxys indicated that an analogue of ciramadol in with the meta -OH was replaced by a para -Cl was a known compound but I could find no reference even after searching for a long time.

It's still rather unexpected that the secondary amine is the most potent N-substitution but the patent doesn't comprehensively check every homologue. It seems likely to me that it's the two aromatics, para halide and (I suspect) the lone-pairs of the O that provides four of the eight recognized key moieties that possess MOR affinity.

It should be noted that to the best of my knowledge, the scaffold let alone compound 7b are controlled anywhere on earth and any business who produces tianeptine could readily switch to producing 7b.

But please don't assume that just because the affinity of 7b is some x160 higher, it will automatically prove to be x160 more potent.

It's interesting to explore the QSAR of a new class of opioid but we have absolutely NO safety information. If, like tianeptine, 7b proves to be a superagonist, it could prove to be an extremely hazardous compound. BEWARE.

BTW anyone looking closely at the patent will notice that all of the compounds tested are raecemic. It turns out that (R) tianeptine is some x10 more active than (S) tianeptine.

Although it may be coincidence but it's the basic nitrogen that is chiral and the amine of (R) tianeptine overlays ciramadol.

Now, this is purely circumstantial evidence but IF it turned out that the (R) isomer of 7b is responsible for almost all of the compounds opioid activity then it would technically mean that the compound represents a sub micromolar opioid. Still not amazing BUT it does mean it IS of use in a training-set.

US20170217913A1 'A new class of mu-opioid receptor agonists'

Example 83 has an affinity of 1.22 nM using DAMGO as a reference (2.07 +- 1.21)

Now I'm not totally convince by the above paper which l states:

...the order of potency, namely, etorphine >> endomorphin-1 = DAMGO = endomorphin-2 = fentanyl = morphine >> meperidine.

The order of agonist relative efficacy, etorphine = DAMGO = endomorphin-1 = endomorphin-2 = fentanyl > or = morphine > or = meperidine > buprenorphine > or = nalbuphine

BUT the key thing is that the earlier paper provides EC50 in terms of μM, the latter in terms of nM.

In short, it appears that different researchers are finding significantly different results.

While it appears too soon to draw any firm conclusions, a quick 3D overlay does show these tianeptine derivatives as closely overlaying some classes of highly potent opioid. Of course, their is little research into highly potent MOR ligands unless they present a strong clinical advantage.