• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tianeptine...does anyone know what this is and what it does?

phuckingnutz

Bluelighter
I saw this today on my RC vendors list and googled it but even after reading about it I still couldn't figure out, outside of being an antidepressant and an anxiolytic, what would be recreational about it unless it augments psychedelics.

It is a serotonin reuptake enhancer so it probably would enhance serotonergic drugs...right?

Anybody know/guess what it does...chime in.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...-tryptamines?p=9413350&viewfull=1#post9413350

I'd imagine there wouldn't be any concern for SS as tianeptine doesn't increase the population of 5-ht in the synaptic clefts (according to this article*, tianeptine causes minimum if any alteration to the 5-ht neurotransmitter network. Doesn't increase firing rates of 5-ht neurons , didn't significantly decrease extracellular 5-ht levels [varies from area in brain i believe], or alter the the activity of 5-ht1a post-synaptic receptors. Essentially it doesn't fuck with the serotonergic system in a significant manner even with prolonged use as a therapeutic agent). Now I'd still be careful with say 2c-t-7 due to it's slight MAOi action, but I'm not sure if MAO's would oxidize tianeptine due to it's long amino-heptanoic chain as I'm not very knowledgeable on the metabolism of molecules via MAOi's. Taneptine also shows no affinity for any other known neurotransmitter receptors and does not inhibit the uptake noradrenaline in the central nervous system. Chronic tianeptine administration did not alter the concentration and affinity of α1A, α1B, α2A, α2B, α2C, β1, β2, 5-HT1, 5-HT2, 5-HT3, 5-HT4, 5-HT5A, 5-HT6, 5-HT7, NMDA, AMPA, kainate, benzodiazepine or GABA-B receptors, but increased the responsiveness of the α1-adrenergic system. Tianeptine does not inhibit MAOa and MAOb activity in the cortex, hippocampus, and hypothalamus. Systemic administration of tianeptine modestly enhanced the mesolimbic release of dopamine. The biological responses to tianeptine are presumably as a result of a cascade of effects, potentially/shown (certain functions) induced by the modulation of glutamate receptors (AMPA and NMDA). Glutamate has broad influence on other receptor systems, but it is thought that tianeptine's induced change in modulation of the glutamatergic system is a "normalization" of synaptic function. So, I couldn't really see it's modulation of glutamate receptors causing potential risks. Fuck, it really seems like it has a lot of potential behind it as very interesting molecule, even purely as a way to look farther into glutamatergic receptors influence on LTP, neurogensis, memory, stress, depression, etc.

So to sum this up, I don't think there would be any sort of interaction with psychedelics, but I'd avoid 2c-t-7 or other potential MAOi acting phenethylamines. I couldn't see it interacting with non-comp nmda antagonist, as it appears to be doing similar long term effects on the NMDAr system as say ketamine, through it's modulation of the receptor. I could even potentially see it being beneficial during a psychedelic experience as it has an inhibiting effect on the glutamate response of stress. Though, I'm just making a conjecture.

*http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...tool=pmcentrez

I don't think taking tianeptine experimentally is a very good idea and it doesn't sound like it would give you what you want... augment psychedelics with the more obvious, known and pleasant other drugs, or taking another compound that is a competitive inhibitor, and if you must MAOIs.

Always be careful with psychiatric medication IMO.

Last edited:
That's the feeling I get...I just don't understand why it'd be on an RC vendor list...hmmm

It definitely has recreational value. It's also an MOR agonist in addition to a range of other effects. I can attest that it's able to give a pretty good buzz although with a half-life of 2.5-3 hours it's short lived.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptin

This info is not hard to find

Edit: rc vendors don't always care about what they hold and if it's good for you. That's where your own judgement comes in and makes it harm reduction practice. Acryl-fentanyl is a good example as the acryl acts as glue and becomes undigestable..... Be careful with what you put in your body as only you week care if it's right for you.

Tianeptine (Stablon) is interesting because it's an antidepressant that is a serotonin reuptake enhancer. That's pretty much the opposite of serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac and Zoloft. What does this say about the serotonin theory?! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tianeptine

It doesn't change the fact that depression is a very serious and damaging illness. The cause is irrelevant to the patient. SSRIs worked fantastically for me for years and now I'm on an MAOI (just started) and hoping for the best. Stablon should not be used as an argument against the serotonin-imbalance theory of depression which was a marketing ploy and in the academia we're light years ahead of this (look at GLYX-13, etc.)