Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

This is why I love Australian

fengtau

Bluelight Crew
Australian siblings to help triplets for 18 years
By PRISCILLA DIELENBERG

v12focus2007.jpg

GEORGE TOWN: Three siblings from Australia have pledged to give monthly financial aid to help coffeeshop helper Woo Kwee Fatt and his wife Ely Woo take care of their month-old triplets until they turn 18.

Touched by the plight of the couple who are facing difficulty in raising the triplets and two other young sons, businessman Nick Kennedy, 48, and his sisters, nurse Lisa, 46, and personal assistant Rose, 40, pledged to bank in RM350 into the couple's account on the first day of every month from now until 2026.

Through this arrangement, the siblings would be forking out more than RM75,000 through the years.

“When Rose read the story in The Star, she felt very sad for the Woos as we were putting up at a beautiful beach resort and eating good food while they had to struggle to make ends meet,” said Lisa.

She and Rose live in Melbourne while Nick is from Perth.

Nick said they came up with the idea to help care for the children on a long-term basis rather than give the family a lump sum, especially as aid would be pouring in for the couple from other people at this time.

Rose said the RM350 was well within their means, adding they would also tell their mother and elder brother about the Woos' plight.

She added that they hoped to sometimes contribute more than RM350 with help from family and friends for the first few months.

Kwee Fatt, 57, felt that it was providence that brought the Kennedys to his family's aid, as the story was published towards the end of the Australians' two-week holiday in Penang.

“We are grateful to them and to all other donors who have come forward to help us. May they be blessed for their kindness, and we thank God for answering our prayers,” he said.

Kwee Fatt earns RM50 a day helping out at a coffeeshop from 4pm to 5am while Ely, 30, stays home at their rented flat in Gat Lebuh Macallum to care for the triplets Yu Fook, Yen Fong and Yu Hock, and their other children Yu Choy, two, and Yu Beng, four.

Besides the Kennedys, Pengkalan Kota Service Task Force’s Lee Thuan Chye received calls and pledges from donors for the Woos, RM500 and a cheque for RM300, and numerous contributions in kind such as milk powder and other food, and baby hampers and bedding materials.

Those who wish to help the Woos can call Lee at 012-478 2894. Cheques can be made out to Pengkalan Kota Service Task Force, with the name Woo Kwee Fatt written on the back, and sent to Block 354 management office, 11th floor, Gat Lebuh Macallum, 10300 Penang.

These Aussies was on holiday in Penang and they read the following stories.

Triplets bring joy and hardship
By WINNIE YEOH

GEORGE TOWN: Coffeeshop helper Woo Kwee Fatt and his wife Ely Woo have been struggling to make ends meet to bring up their two young sons.

Now, their worries have more than doubled. The couple have three more mouths to feed as Ely recently gave birth to triplets – a girl and two boys.

Kwee Fatt, 57, earns RM50 a day helping out at a coffee shop from 4pm to 5am while Ely, 30, stays home at their rented flat in Gat Lebuh Macallum to care of their two older boys, aged four and two, and the triplets who were born on June 13.

n_36triplets.jpg

Family of seven: Woo with his wife Ely and the triplets in Penang Thursday.

“We are overjoyed to finally have a baby girl but we never expected to have triplets. How am I going to care for all of them?” Kwee Fatt moaned.

Kwee Fatt, who is now looking for a second job, said he had to spend RM300 monthly just for milk powder and another RM300 on diapers.

“We are renting our flat for RM350 a month and after deducting the costs, we hardly have enough money left for food and other necessities. It is worse now that prices keep going up,” he said.

He said many people had approached him offering to adopt the babies but they could not bear to part with them.

Yesterday, the family had a pleasant surprise when former Pengkalan Kota assemblyman Lee Hack Teik dropped by with the area’s community service chairman Lee Thuan Chye.

Hack Teik, who now heads the Pengkalan Kota service task force, donated RM300 to the family.

He also appealed to the public to help the family tide through this difficult time.

Those who wish to assist the Woo family financially or sponsor milk powder or diapers can contact Thuan Chye at 012-4782894.

Cheques can be made out to Pengkalan Kota Service Task Force, with the name Woo Kwee Fatt written on the back and sent to Block 354-21-8, Gat Lebuh Macallum, 10300 Penang.

I love you guys! PLUR!!!! <3 <3

I've been thinking about founding an orphanage in Africa and then, as the children grow into more able-bodied men, declaring myself their King. I am assuming I can accomplish this goal with $10,000. What do you guys think?

I like how these bleeding hearts will subsidize a family of coolies from the insular safety of their middle class existence while tens of thousands of Aborigines languish in poverty and squalor in their own backyard while the government passes humiliating and condescending legislation masquerading as "mutual obligation." Josh Howard might as well just have come out and said "Aborigines can't wash themselves if we don't do it for them."

I wonder if Nick Kennedy and his sisters are aware that the poverty level in most rural Aboriginal settlements is eight times greater than the poverty level in India. And I wonder if they know that the average Aborigine will die 20 years sooner than their Australian counterparts. I wonder if they even bat an eye when someone tells them that an indigenous Aborigine is 11 times more likely to end up in prison than a non-indigenous person.

So I hope that these donations at least assuage their middle class guilt a little bit and perpetuate the illusion that somewhere in the desolate bleakness of this unloving world, there is someone that cares.

Benefit said:
Josh Howard might as well just have come out and said "Aborigines can't wash themselves if we don't do it for them."

Unfortunately after working for sometime in aboriginal communities and those very prisons I have long come to the conclusion that they can't :(

I wouldn't stop there though, plenty of white trash shouldn't be allowed to raise children either. Maybe there is a need for a Parent licence.

*not wanting to derail thread*

Charity shouldn't know boundries... these people probably deserve it, and the flow on benifits to the rest of their community would be enourmous. What is RM75000 in Aust $? Could you save three aboriginal kids for the same? I very much doubt it.....

I bet he slips some of that fancy cat poo gear into his cups of joe

Thats why he is so popular

I was in Penang 6 weeks ago, and it's true that they have some really, really good local coffee.